Author Topic: Pricing Games Around The World  (Read 253150 times)

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Pricing Games Around The World
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2019, 06:11:20 PM »
Except it was the Goodson-Todman asterisk instead of a blank spot.

I believe Steve meant "a space without a number in it," not "a space with nothing in it."

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2019, 06:32:17 PM »
My respect to Bulgaria or France '12 (whichever came first) for applying a completely new theme to Switcheroo and making it cohesive.

The UK Bruce Pathfinder is the only one that appears to be definitively larger than the U.S. version. I like it.

(And we finally found a game that Indonesia didn't try to replicate super accurately.)
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2019, 10:39:36 PM »
While the Switcheroo sets have a ton of differences between them and some it's hard to tell what game it's supposed to be, the Pathfinder sets keep the same core look just with some size and color variations and some other alterations. Germany's is the only one that could be mistaken for something else. Thailand's looks like the US set if it was shrunk in the dryer. The Russian set looks like it was designed by kindergartners. The UK Bruce set makes me think of that board game Perfection.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2019, 02:55:00 AM »
I never really liked the head-on jib shot they use nowadays (like the Indonesia screengrab), I always preferred the angled version Bart Eskander would use (like the Australia screengrab). I get that the head-on version shows the numbers better but putting the camera too far above the set makes the game look smaller and less impressive, and I always preferred the shots where the cam was closer to the contestant's eye level.

But if they did something really neat like a direct overhead shot on the French version, I bet I would change my tune real quickly.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2019, 05:41:59 PM »
Switcheroo:
     -I like Belgium's idea of having the number further away from the prices. That way, it's a toned down version of Race Game.
     -The chalkboard motif in Bulgaria and 2012 France is cool but it looks too old-school.
     -Odd how Colombia puts the number blocks way at the bottom.
     -1996 and 2001 France remind me of a radio. Maybe that's the point? And maybe it's just me, but 2009 looks like a microwave.
     -Once again, Indonesia gets the award for most similar to US set. I do prefer this timer to ours, though.
     -I would pick the 1999 Italian set over the other two because of all the open space. The letters and the board are both separate instead of on the same prop.
     -Netherlands went through some wacky changes, and for what reason? The brown and green scheme is great because it matches the turntable. I suppose you could say the same for 1990, but there's a lot of yellow there. They finally end up with some sort of...I don't know what. The 1987 prop is best.
     -UK Leslie has an ok prop. It's not exactly bad, but not the best. The heart-shaped board and color and the cursive writing make it look like it belongs on The Dating Game or some other such thing.

Pathfinder:
     -Top three are, from third, 2000s Italy, Germany, Russia. UK Bruce is enormous and 1998 Italy is tiny. Also interesting how many versions start on a square other than the center and that the center is blank. Perhaps there is a bit of an advantage for the eight squares touching the center, in those cases where the center is blank.

(By the way, 1989 Australia has the best turntable design I've seen thus far. The textured dollar sign background make it stand out. Nice!)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 05:44:54 PM by tpir04 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2019, 12:27:22 AM »
Hi Lo
https://imgur.com/xZnGIJc

Click for larger image

Pick A Pair
https://imgur.com/HBnK4o2

Click for larger image

Now Or Then
https://imgur.com/FEzTmNK

Click for larger image

Bullseye
https://imgur.com/IDEqEFd

Click for larger image

Penny Ante
https://imgur.com/g97oU66

Click for larger image

Hit Me
https://imgur.com/1BPPzuM

Click for larger image

Super Saver
https://imgur.com/0LN0P2e

Click for larger image

Vend-O-Price
https://imgur.com/Em8ZXa0

Click for larger image

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2019, 01:54:44 AM »
I'd love to see a video of France's Hi-Lo set. It looks like they physically put the podiums the prizes are on higher or lower. Is that the same thing going on with Bulgaria and Portugal?

Penny Ante without the giant lights looks BLAND. I probably shouldn't pass judgement on their games without seeing the way they've played, but I'm so grateful for our crazy set.

Nobody's found a way to improve on Bullseye. And what's that hypno-disk in the middle of Colombia's Now or Then? Trippy.
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2019, 07:53:36 AM »
It appears that the German Now Or Then isn't about past prices, but a simple game of true or false, since the name's translation means "Wrong or right".

The English translation from the Italian name for Hi-Lo literally comes out to that of another game, "More or Less". "Alto o Basso" would have been more appropriate.

You must have gotten only one chance in the UK Joe version of Pick-a-Pair I'd assume with just four products. Also, what's with the music theme on the French P-A-P?

Once again, thanks for posting these!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:56:10 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2019, 01:08:45 PM »
You must have gotten only one chance in the UK Joe version of Pick-a-Pair I'd assume with just four products.

1.)  I'm not sure why you would assume that.

2.)  I'm pretty sure that's just the left half of the board.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2019, 09:21:48 PM »
You must have gotten only one chance in the UK Joe version of Pick-a-Pair I'd assume with just four products.

Unless the game is set up differently, where there is actually only one pair out of the four items.  If that is the case, you could still have two turns, as if the first two didn't match, you wouldn't know if one of the first two matched one of the unseen two, or if the two unseen ones matched each other.

That would make the play of the game much more like Take Two, the only difference being you need two with the same price, not two that add up to a set amount.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2019, 12:19:59 AM »
Video of the Brazilian Penny Ante:
https://streamable.com/mkebf

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2019, 01:59:58 AM »
Interesting. Sort of reminds me of Hit Man.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2019, 02:32:07 AM »
Does anyone know what they're saying in that clip?  I really can't tell what the hell's going on.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2019, 11:58:15 AM »
Hi Lo: It looks like a few countries used a scale motif for their set which I'm not sure fits the game too much. Most of the sets are just too busy looking also. UK Joe's set looks like it was taken out of the wild west.

Pick a Pair: Looks like Germany and Italy were the only ones that had the game while we had the ferris wheel set. France's using a music motif is interesting. It appears Pick a Pair was a SP game for UK Leslie and Bruce.

Now or Then: Surprised more countries haven't played it since it's been around for a while. Was Columbia trying to hypnotize contestants playing it? Germany's and Moldova's (that's an early Then date) looks like the set is just pasted onto the turntable wall.

Bullseye: Also surprised to not see more Bullseye. Every set looks just about exactly like ours.

Penny Ante: Looks like it was a SP game in the UK.

Hit Me: So only Italy played it and they called it Blackjack. The second set is pretty nice. Was it not used much internationally because of the gambling inspiration or because of the gameplay?

Super Saver: Only in Italy also and it was still played after we stopped playing it. The color scheme is the real difference from our set.

Vend o Price: Does the Thailand version have similar sound effects and the doors opening to reveal the product quantity like ours?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2019, 06:15:11 PM »
It appears Pick a Pair was a SP game for UK Leslie and Bruce.

Actually, if I remember correctly, Bruce's Price Is Right played the game with the prizes themselves.

Now or Then: Surprised more countries haven't played it since it's been around for a while.

It appears to have been played on Atinale al Precio, too...Marco Antonio Regil used to have a whole bunch of pictures from the show on his website, and even though it wasn't labeled, one of them was pretty clearly and Now....and Then board.  It was apparently played in the first season of Italy's show, too, although I've never seen pictures of it.

Hit Me: So only Italy played it and they called it Blackjack.

I'm pretty sure it was played in Germany, too, although if there were any pictures of it, they seem to have vanished from the internet.