Author Topic: Pricing Games Around The World  (Read 253164 times)

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Pricing Games Around The World
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2019, 08:41:28 AM »
Wow, the Italians really wanted to make sure that folks stood in the right places, didn't they? Love those dots on the floor!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2019, 12:11:10 PM »
For both 5 Price Tags and Money Game for the most part the international versions didn't look to differ from ours too much. A couple went circular for the price displays in 5 Price Tags which makes it too small. I like the Italian versions using different colors for the podiums.

The French Money Game sets with the car motifs are pretty cool, although the French 09 board is definitely too small.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2019, 01:03:07 AM »
Been meaning to ask, does Thailand have two hosts?

Pretty much she does the one bids and the male host does the pricing games.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #183 on: May 15, 2019, 01:11:33 AM »
I always liked the Australian 5 Price Tags prop, particularly with it displaying the number of chances the contestant had earned (not to mention incorporating the game's name into the prop too).

Not sure I've mentioned it yet, but it drives me a little crazy how tight an angle Egypt's wideshots of their games are, to the point of struggling to see the game elements on some of them until they cut to a different shot.

I like the Money Game props that try something different to the US version.  Even the paint job on Indonesia's version looks fresher and more pleasant to look at than the current US one.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #184 on: May 15, 2019, 05:39:03 PM »
Temptation:
https://imgur.com/zqPeLR4

Click for larger image

Ten Chances:
https://imgur.com/jGVAIcO

Click for larger image

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #185 on: May 16, 2019, 12:32:34 AM »
I thought France 09's Ten Chances prop looked incredible and thought, "hey, I want to see video of that. It's worth a google"

Scrubbing through the first 3 or 4 videos of that show so far, there's some of the most inventive pricing game redesigns mentioned so far, plus:

• A game like that arcade "finger tracer" game where two players compete by drawing a path on a touchscreen to guide a rat through a maze to cheese
  • Four contestants standing on a giant round wooden board balancing on a point, trying to press down and guide a ball in the middle trying to a certain spot

France is crazy inventive and it'd be an interesting rabbit hole to explore
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #186 on: May 16, 2019, 10:08:43 AM »
Five Price Tags:
     -Argentina 1999: Do the contestants call the prices by the numbers?
     -Australia 2005 is a great prop. The lights on the sides are a nice touch.
     -Of all the Italian props, 1999 is my favorite. Interesting how they put the prices into a `5'.
     -The curved prop on 2010 Mexico is different than the rest.
     -Brosa, in 1987 Netherlands, do the Dutch keep their Big Wheel on the stage all the time? As for 5PT, 1990 is the better of the two.
     -Anybody else think that 2018 Portugal prop looks like a gumball machine?

Money Game:
     -Nice variations on colors and shapes here.
     -Brosa, does Argentina offer the wrong picks as a consolation prize? If so, what good is 00 in the money column?
     -Whereas the rest of the circular props have square number cards, it appears that Australia has circular numbers also. Are they hanging on little nails?
     -The French car props are certainly a change of pace.
     -2000 Netherlands is probably the only sensible prop we've seen so far.
     -UK Leslie: Oh dear. If I was Leslie, what should I say? Congrats, you've won $19. Not exactly a focal point of the show. But I think the prop is nice. The colors are just right. Looks like UK Bob had three money slots, instead of four.

Ten Chances:
     -Did 2009 France move the wheel mechanically or manually?
     -Do the Italians have a purpose for the light stripes on the bottom or are they just for show?
     -Interesting how the Netherlands and UK Bob props count down from 10 instead of up from 1.
     -Hey Brosa, did 1988 Spain use trilons for their numbers?
     -There's a vane display on the bottom of 1989 Spain. What's that for?
     -Always like UK Leslie's props. This is no exception.

Temptation:
     -1980s Australia, once again, blends their prop into the turntable. Same with Grocery Game, I believe.
     -2001 France is reminiscent of their Check-Out game. I think they like those zany shapes a bit too much.
     -Wonder what the story is with Italy's "color pyramid"?
     -How do the Mexicans play Temptation? I would think it would be harder with six digits and not five.
     -If possible, can you do a GIF of the host revealing the price on 1988 Spain's Temptation, like you did with One Away? I'd like to see how the numbers are revealed.
     -UK Leslie's got a fantastic prop, mainly because of the number font. It's similar to the Money Game font.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2019, 05:53:30 PM »
Brosa, does Argentina offer the wrong picks as a consolation prize? If so, what good is 00 in the money column?

I can't answer that question, but it should be noted that our Money Game has used 00 as well...and it has been wrong.

How do the Mexicans play Temptation? I would think it would be harder with six digits and not five.

Surprisingly, it's functionally identical to the U.S. -- the first two numbers are revealed at the start of the game, and even though the prices of the gifts can be anything, they still have two digits highlighted as choices for the price of the car.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2019, 11:35:09 AM »
Temptation: Most of these international sets make our pink Temptation set look good.

10 Chances: The Spain sets look very low budget. The Italy sets are actually pretty nice. The Thailand set to me is a slightly nicer version of our current set. I'm surprised none of them look anywhere near like our original version color scheme and wicker wise.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2019, 11:58:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure the first Ten Chances board on Atinale al Precio looked almost exactly like ours did.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #190 on: May 21, 2019, 01:57:54 AM »
Five Price Tags:
     -Brosa, in 1987 Netherlands, do the Dutch keep their Big Wheel on the stage all the time? As for 5PT, 1990 is the better of the two.

Yes, a few of the versions seem to have the big wheel permanently stationed between the big doors throughout the whole show.

Money Game:
     -Whereas the rest of the circular props have square number cards, it appears that Australia has circular numbers also. Are they hanging on little nails?

Yes

Ten Chances:
-Hey Brosa, did 1988 Spain use trilons for their numbers?

Yes

-There's a vane display on the bottom of 1989 Spain. What's that for?

The contestants were given 3 minutes to get through their 10 guesses.  In the playing that this screenshot was from, the contestant only got to the 9th guess before time ran out and wasn't allowed to use the 10th chance.

Temptation:
     -If possible, can you do a GIF of the host revealing the price on 1988 Spain's Temptation, like you did with One Away? I'd like to see how the numbers are revealed.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #191 on: May 21, 2019, 08:38:59 AM »
Looks like Spain's standard way of revealing numbers is with those pull-out flaps. Thanks, Brosa!

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #192 on: May 23, 2019, 05:57:49 PM »
Barker's Markers:
https://imgur.com/UWM6kPU

Click for larger image

Credit Card:
https://imgur.com/5HtYQb3

Click for larger image

Fortune Hunter:
https://imgur.com/hqBVYV5

Click for larger image

Shopping Spree:
https://imgur.com/2GvHDYN

Click for larger image

Step Up:
https://imgur.com/YkWDae5

Click for larger image

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #193 on: May 27, 2019, 05:11:18 PM »
Hole In One:
https://imgur.com/einMTL4

Click for larger image

On The Nose:
https://imgur.com/2ldk4cq

Click for larger image

Superball:
https://imgur.com/gkUkGk9

Click for larger image

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #194 on: May 27, 2019, 09:18:09 PM »
I get to be first to comment? Cool!

Barker's Markers:
     -I favor the UK set over the Spanish set. The yellow title completes the color selection.

Credit Card:
     -It appears that Colombia tried to design the prop like a calculator. They did a pretty good job!
     -France always has zany props, but this one I don't mind.
     -Mexico (2) gets best award for most looking like an ATM. Wonder what the deal is with the logo on the bottom.
     -UK Bruce gets best overall. Love those side lights and the logo inside a credit card.

Fortune Hunter:
     -I suppose the podiums are wrapped gift boxes. Neat!

Shopping Spree:
     -Argentine prop is just too bland. I get the thing with the screen but you've gotta have more!
     -US set is my favorite. None of these quite top it, although Indonesia comes very close.

Hole in One:
     -Brosa, can you give us a background on the windmill on Argentina 19? Was it always like that or a gimmick like we did for Best of 2017(?)
     -Brazil has to have one of the blandest sets I have ever seen. No colors, lines, anything. Ah well.
     -Does 2015 France have various obstacles, or just the loop? And, should I get the ball around the loop, is there a bonus of some sort?
     -Love Germany's split-screen. Nice to have a close-up of the hole.
     -Nothing to say about Israel, but take a gander at that set! Very appealing. And that's a giant wheel, too!
     -The Dutch put in some obstacles, too, huh? Tricky...
     -Is the Vietnam set on an incline? Perhaps it's an illusion.

On the Nose:
     -Haha, On the Nose, so they put up a drawing of the host. Not exactly fond of that approach, though. Award goes to 2001 France for a generic, yet very colorful, target.
     -Not sure I get Italy's space theme. Maybe it's just to be different.

Superball!:
     -I like 1999 France prop, but not any more than the US set. The Italian set is similar, but it seems too low to the ground.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 09:20:38 PM by tpir04 »