Author Topic: Pricing Games Around The World  (Read 253194 times)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Pricing Games Around The World
« Reply #195 on: May 27, 2019, 11:02:39 PM »
Barker's Markers: Interesting that the two sets look very similar even though they're not the same country. Eligeme means pick me in Spanish.

Credit Card: Interesting variation of sets. The France 01 set makes me think of something out of The Jetsons.

Fortune Hunter: Pretty cramped space.

Shopping Spree: Odd to see the price reveals underneath the prizes on large boards like that. Another pretty much carbon copy from Indonesia.

Step Up: Trippy.

Hole in One: The windmill in Argentina and the circular thing in France 09 certainly add a miniature golf course vibe. The ones with the golf course backdrops and the GP podiums in France 09 and 15 and Netherlands 12 are pretty neat. The game logo in Thailand seems like its really far away from the putting green.

One the Nose: Surprised there's as many as there are. Estonia's, Portugal's, and UK Joe's are kinda creepy.

Superball: France's is pretty weird. I actually like the look of Italy's, it would look even better if it used our version's color scheme.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #196 on: May 29, 2019, 02:46:35 AM »
On the Nose:
     -Not sure I get Italy's space theme. Maybe it's just to be different.

The idea is that you're throwing an asteroid into a spaceship.  I agree that it's a bit odd (you're generally trying to win vehicles on The Price Is Right, not destroy them), but it does make sense.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #197 on: June 03, 2019, 02:59:57 AM »
     -Mexico (2) gets best award for most looking like an ATM. Wonder what the deal is with the logo on the bottom.

It's the logo of a bank, so I'd imagine it was a show sponsorship arrangement (hence the change in colour from the original blue too).

Hole in One:
     -Brosa, can you give us a background on the windmill on Argentina 19?

Pretty sure it's there for every playing.  On one playing I saw, the ball hit one of the windmill's blades as it went in front of the hole, but the ball still went in.

-Does 2015 France have various obstacles, or just the loop? And, should I get the ball around the loop, is there a bonus of some sort?

Just the loop, and no bonus.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2019, 03:36:31 AM »
Add 'Em Up:
https://imgur.com/Irk07Ig

Click for larger image

Golden Road:
https://imgur.com/qOU7zC8

Click for larger image

Pick A Number:
https://imgur.com/kJSfdwL

Click for larger image

Push Over:
https://imgur.com/MHiZ5ko

Click for larger image

Squeeze Play:
https://imgur.com/mDYvkao

Click for larger image

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #199 on: June 03, 2019, 07:16:28 AM »
I like Spain '99's Pick a Number with the rainbow motif.  Can we get something like that in the US?  After almost 30 years, it's time for a make over!

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #200 on: June 03, 2019, 10:13:27 AM »
I love the theme for Spain 06's and UK Joe's Push Over.

The Australian Push Over is played differently from ours. You either push left or right to knock over one of the blocks on the end. It's actually a pretty neat concept.

What can I say? I love me some Push Over!  :-)
1,718 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #201 on: June 03, 2019, 10:25:42 AM »
A bit of OT observation...one of the prizes offered in the French-Canadian Golden Road was a trip to Cuba. With US-Cuba relations being normalized, I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen a Cuba trip on our version yet, especially considering Wheel Of Fortune has offered them several times in the past couple years.

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #202 on: June 03, 2019, 06:15:07 PM »
Could the set for Squeeze Play '12 in Australia be any more boring and bland?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #203 on: June 04, 2019, 07:26:16 PM »
Add em' Up:
     -Looks like Spain gave the 1990 game a paint job in 1992. I cast my vote for the 1988 set for not just being a rectangle, like the other two sets. Second place goes to 1992 for a very colorful appearance, followed by the 1990 set, although the 1990 prop does have that neat title set in Brush Script cursive.

Golden Road:
     -I really thought you would save this one for last, as it is the namesake of our site.
     -Anyway, it appears that many (well, exactly half) of these used the original set design, instead of the rainbow "jukebox" style.
     -Argentina is okay, but I wish they put more dots on the floor to make up the "road".
     -I like China's price displays! Can we get something like that over here, please?
     -Regarding the Italian sets, I'm gonna say that the 1999 prop is better, simply because of the colors. The colors used for the 1993 prop don't blend very well, and the cursive clashes with the Old West-style font.

Pick-a-Number:
     -Nice number font for Argentina. The jumble of numbers on the bottom is much better than our present one.
     -Canada's number font reminds me of the one for our One Away.
     -I don't get the Mexican house theme. Anyway, that number font for 1999 looks like Cooper Black, although somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
     -Portugal: Nightmare fuel.
     -Nice rainbow set! Absolutely most vivid, but I prefer Spain's instead of Bruce's, because of the brighter shade of blue.

Push Over:
     -Does France always have one block of each number? Also, the second prop has numbers on the top. Can you provide some background as to what they're used for?
     -I love the light bulbs that Spain used in 1999! The whole prop stands out from the rest of those in the collage.
     -Spain 2006/UK Joe: That's a cute idea, with the "Jonah and the Whale" theme. (It could just be a generic pirate theme, and "walk the plank" but there would be no reason for the whale, in that case.)

Squeeze Play:
     -Props to Australia for a very colorful prop. Then we get to 2012 and they fall off the deep end. They couldn't even put a name on the prop (although I believe they have it on the video screens on the second story.)
     -I like the orange of Germany's Squeeze Play. If Squeeze Play had appeared on the 80s Aussie TPIR, this would probably have made the cut.
     -2000s Italy: Pick the wrong number, and it will be a shocking letdown! BZZZZT!
     -1990s Netherlands obviously painted their prop to blend in with the stage, as you have the red and yellow, with touches of green and white.
     -1992 Spain leaves much to be desired. The numbers are so small! Not one of my faves.
     -I have always liked Leslie's prop, and I just don't know why! Maybe it's the unique shape, instead of the usual oval. 
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #204 on: June 04, 2019, 09:38:28 PM »
Add em Up: IMO the set went from pretty nice to ugly color scheme wise.

Golden Road: The Argentina price stands are nice. The large rainbow behind the game logo in Mexico just looks odd, and in general the sets/game logo are just too bland looking.

Pick a Number: These sets make ours look really good. A couple of them look like something in a nightmare and the others looked like they were designed for a pre-school. I know Casa means house, but I don't really get Mexico adding in the house theme.

Push Over: The Pakistan, Portugal, and UK Bruce sets make me think of our current Time is Money set. I kind of like the boat theme Spain 06 and UK Joe has-- are they the same exact set?

Squeeze Play: What's with all the 0s at the end of the price in Italy? Were they in play also, or was it just the first four/five numbers? Weird looking game logo too. The Australian set went from a bizarre mishmash of colors to a really plain circular set.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #205 on: June 05, 2019, 12:47:09 PM »
Squeeze Play:
     -Props to Australia for a very colorful prop. Then we get to 2012 and they fall off the deep end. They couldn't even put a name on the prop
Unfortunately, this was the rule rather than the exception for the pricing games of the 2012 series.

(although I believe they have it on the video screens on the second story.)
They did, but that is most certainly no excuse for not having it on the prop itself.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #206 on: June 09, 2019, 03:34:56 AM »
I love the theme for Spain 06's and UK Joe's Push Over.

The Australian Push Over is played differently from ours. You either push left or right to knock over one of the blocks on the end. It's actually a pretty neat concept.

What can I say? I love me some Push Over!  :-)

It is a neat concept, really a combination of Push Over and Bump.  If the US version ever wanted another 50-50 quick game to go with Coming Or Going/Side By Side/Double Prices then it would be a pretty straightforward one to introduce.   The blocks were originally far smaller.

I just love that Spain not only adapted Add Em Up to their series, but went to the effort of giving it two makeovers and made it last a lot longer than it did on the US version.

I love Argentina's Golden Road podiums too and wouldn't mind seeing the US game refurbished with similar podiums.  It's kind of neat too how they adapted the game to be a cash/small prize game.

Speaking of Argentina, their Pick A Number and Squeeze Play props are really nice and fit in with the cohesive nature of their game props more broadly.

I'm pretty sure the second France Push Over was simply a case of playing Push Over as a progressive game, three times for 3 prizes. 

The first Australian Squeeze Play does a good job of resembling a Jukebox although I always thought the colours were garish. 

In the photo I included of the 2012 Australian Squeeze Play, the setup is '19440'.  From recollection, the prize was 'Flowers for a year' - 1 x bouquet of flowers per month for 12 months.  This made it one of the easiest Squeeze Play setups I think I've ever seen.

China's 2015 series went through a brief, bizarre gothic phase, which I think was best exemplified with their Squeeze Play prop.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #207 on: June 10, 2019, 07:09:05 AM »
Secret X:
https://imgur.com/Gd2HmAN

Click for larger image

1/2 Off:
https://imgur.com/z9Kz1QB

Click for larger image

Give Or Keep:
https://imgur.com/9fxbZmO

Click for larger image

Trader Bob:
https://imgur.com/3OB1lxU

Click for larger image

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #208 on: June 10, 2019, 08:14:21 AM »
France '09 Secret X: What in the world....?!?!?!?! How does that even work--do the models in the center turn around at the end and one of them is wearing the X? Full marks for creativity and adding pizzazz to a normally blah game.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #209 on: June 10, 2019, 08:31:13 AM »
What happened to the images? All I see is a black X, and the images aren't showing.