Author Topic: Pricing Games Around The World  (Read 253076 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: Pricing Games Around The World
« Reply #210 on: June 10, 2019, 09:50:46 AM »
All I see is a black X

A greeting from Secret X.  :P But in all seriousness, it's fine on my end.

Secret X:
     -It is evident by now that Argentina uses the same pink and purple color scheme for many of their games. It's grown on me; I like it.
     -What's up with Brazil? Why are there six X's?
     -I see Colombia's Big Wheel in the background.
     -The Estonian set reminds me of Hollywood Squares.
     -I cast my vote for 1999 as best French prop.
     -France 2009: I'm guessing the models turn around and if the X makes a three-in-a-row the contestant wins. It's definitely unique.
     -The German "X" markers are very stylish. I'm guessing they're using the "Baby Teeth" font, but I could be wrong.
     -The question marks on the 1992 Italian set remind me of the ones for the Chance cards in Monopoly. Also the best set overall.
     -Netherlands makes me laugh. I wonder if they intended "Mister X" to actually mean "Mr. X" as we do here, or maybe it's just a translation.
     -I vote for UK Bruce 96 as best set, next to Italy.

1/2 Off:
     -Colombia goes from the bottom up, Mexico goes from the top down, and China mixes them up! Brosa, is there a reason that China arranges the boxes that way, or is it just for show?

Give or Keep:
     -I say that the Spanish set is best, for the selection of colors, and also for the set design, especially the lighted arrows.

Trader Bob:
     -Can you give some background on the German set? It doesn't look right.
     -I really like the UK set, because of the color combination, and also because of how organized it is.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #211 on: June 10, 2019, 07:30:41 PM »
Can you give some background on the German [Trader Bob] set? It doesn't look right.

There's really not much to it.  The game is called "Price Ladder," and the items are brought out on progressively higher podiums.  The board itself didn't play any more of a role than ours did.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #212 on: June 10, 2019, 10:10:07 PM »
Secret X: Bulgaria and France 09 using models as the Xs is well...unique. I wonder why UK Bruce changed its set after just one season. The Thailand set looks like a nice modern upgrade to our set with its lighting. The Vietnam set isn't bad but I don't like how different the color scheme on the SP stands is from the game board. Not a bad set overall, most just kept it like a regular Tic Tac Toe board.

1/2 Off: I like the colors the China set uses but the numbers being randomly placed bothers me. Columbia's looks like it belongs on (Nickelodeon) Double Dare.

Trader Bob: Just looking at the image for the German set I thought it was supposed to be shiny film negative.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #213 on: June 11, 2019, 01:30:15 AM »
France '09 Secret X: What in the world....?!?!?!?! How does that even work--do the models in the center turn around at the end and one of them is wearing the X? Full marks for creativity and adding pizzazz to a normally blah game.

The models are black shirts covered by zipped jackets, with one of their shirts having an X on it. they all remove their jackets at the end to reveal who was wearing the X.  The other three X shirts that the contestant can place are worn by audience members.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #214 on: June 11, 2019, 01:45:54 AM »
Secret X:
     -What's up with Brazil? Why are there six X's?

1/2 Off:
     -Colombia goes from the bottom up, Mexico goes from the top down, and China mixes them up! Brosa, is there a reason that China arranges the boxes that way, or is it just for show?

-Can you give some background on the German set? It doesn't look right.

Not sure on Brazil.  There is a 7th X at the bottom middle of the prop too.  Maybe they won two X's per correct small prize?

Not sure on China mixing them up either.  I'd say just for show.

Here's a better image of the German "Trader Bob":

Offline bonkers77

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #215 on: June 11, 2019, 02:31:48 AM »
Secret X (Tris) Italy 83/84

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 02:35:26 AM by bonkers77 »

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #216 on: June 11, 2019, 03:44:47 PM »
The models are black shirts covered by zipped jackets, with one of their shirts having an X on it. they all remove their jackets at the end to reveal who was wearing the X.  The other three X shirts that the contestant can place are worn by audience members.
I was wondering if the others were audience members, I didn't think they were all models in the picture.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #217 on: June 17, 2019, 06:17:00 PM »
Safe Crackers:
https://imgur.com/wbMafSM

Click for larger image

Most Expensive:
https://imgur.com/233KVeu

Click for larger image

Easy As 1-2-3:
https://imgur.com/0MBZ6pN

Click for larger image

Clearance Sale:
https://imgur.com/s30Vegm

Click for larger image

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #218 on: June 17, 2019, 08:07:30 PM »
It should be noted that the versions of "Most Expensive" from the UK and Portugal are really Eazy az 1 2 3 (yes, even Leslie Crowther).  Bruce's Price Is Right also played the actual Most Expensive in its first two series; I'm no good with pictures, but it's the first game in this episode.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #219 on: June 17, 2019, 11:14:09 PM »
Safe Crackers: Not that much difference really from our set or from each other. Greece and UK Joe went with an actual sized safe rather than within a Big Door.

Most Expensive: Interesting how the prizes are actually integrated into the number stands in Italy.

Eazy Az 123: Mexico having the hands with the fingers up in the middle like that just looks really weird. China's sets are all over the place with the third set being way too small. The UK Joe set is kind of cute but goes overboard with the child's room theme.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #220 on: June 18, 2019, 09:03:10 AM »
Safe Crackers:
     -Not much variation here, but I like that Greece and UK used real safes.
     -Italy 2000s is my favorite, for having that gold and silver combination (pun intended).

Most Expensive:
     -I like the circle pattern on the base of the Aussie 80s set. Being a fan of the original US set, this is my favorite.
     -Very original idea of putting the prizes on a shelf inside each of the three numbers, instead of having the prop to the side or behind the prize. The Italian set from 1994 appeals to me the best.
     -Interesting that Vietnam copied that one design of ours, yet we had already gotten rid of that set five years earlier.

Eazy as 1-2-3:
     -China went through two sets in 2007? Well, I tend to like the first set, mainly because of all the light bulbs.
     -I've wondered this for a while: Why does Thailand have that connector between those two Big Doors? It's irritating the heck outta me.
     -I really admire the ingenuity of the UK, but that's just way too overblown.

Clearance Sale:
     -There's only one here, but it looks very nice. I especially like the pattern on the side.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline PhillyFlash

• In the Audience
« Reply #221 on: June 18, 2019, 01:18:12 PM »
Seeing the picture of Most Expensive from Portugal. Does that version have the LMAD aspect of the contestants dressing in costumes? (It looks like the contestant is dressed as a chef)
Do Not Pass Trolley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #222 on: June 19, 2019, 05:55:34 PM »
I love seeing the staging of Most Expensive in the international series with many of them being centre stage rather than behind a big door. 

It's also cool to see the past three US sets for Most Expensive all represented here with interesting takes on them all.  Vietnam using their Punch A Bunch podiums to display prizes is kind of amusing, as is the 80's Australian set continuing the orange obsession of the turntable games. 

Offline OneBidTris

• FPG Host
  • Hosting FPG for Season 50
« Reply #223 on: June 19, 2019, 06:16:09 PM »
El Precio Justo added a new Pricing Game to their rotation today. This is Freeze Frame. It's played for 30,000 pesos and it plays like our version, except here the model controls the board and the contestant tells them when to stop.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 06:22:42 PM by OneBidTris »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #224 on: June 19, 2019, 06:49:46 PM »
Honestly, the neatest thing about that picture is that the board is shaped like Bonus Game.