Author Topic: Pricing Games Around The World  (Read 256112 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: Pricing Games Around The World
« Reply #270 on: July 28, 2019, 03:01:44 PM »
Italy's 3 Strikes, from 1984.

From 1996, with small cosmetic changes.

CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #271 on: July 28, 2019, 05:00:55 PM »
The 2003 Thailand looks really cheap to me. Does anyone has information of this version other than a single video?
Interesting that France adopted amazing themes in the 2010s. If the game was brought to Vietnam it would have something resembled the Vietnamese mountains like Hoàng Liên Sơn or something like that.

There's only that one episode that's on Youtube of the 2003 Thailand series that I've been able to find.   They used the Australian theme music and winning bell/losing buzzer.  The showcase is interesting as it uses the common International showcase rules (selecting a random range, then pricing the showcase within that range without going over) but the result is revealed in a similar manner to the Australian showcase (each showcase prize's price revealed one at a time).

It's worth noting that Bulgaria's Cliff Hangers uses a monitor, and the mountain climber races up the mountain very quickly (this particular playing was a wipeout).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 05:03:42 PM by brosa0 »

Offline Muon Duc Huy

• In the Audience
« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2019, 04:16:04 AM »
brosa0, can you tell me where you found the pictures of Vietnamese Grand Game 2012 as well as their Plinko 2014, Bonus Game 2013, Shell Game 2012 and 2013, Line Em Up 2012? If they came from a clip can you send me a link to that clip? Thanks.

Also, I should point out that Vietnamese version was based on the US version but has the same winning bell/losing buzzer as Australia (the Australian come on down theme is used in credits), and a showcase round where 2 people bid on 1 showcase, but each showcase prize's price revealed one at a time.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #273 on: July 31, 2019, 12:09:04 PM »
Basically a mix of a few copies of our set, some simpler ones, and a few that have too much going on in Cliff Hangers. I like the Spain, Portugal, and UK sets after Leslie, a little small but I like the colors used. The UK Alan set is even simpler with the color scheme but it does look nice.

Very interesting mountain climbers, ranging from looking the same as ours, more cartoony, to generic drawings and even a silhouette. I like the ones that went for a more realistic mountain look in the background, especially France 96. France 99 was a total downgrade, but at least '09 and '10 look better.

Offline OneBidTris

• 4/2/2024
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
  • Hosting FPG for Season 50
« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2019, 12:34:09 PM »
Another week, another new El Precio import. This time it's Make Your Move (or Move and Win as it's named here). Played for $30,000, it's played just like our version, except they turn down the lights to reveal the answer.

Offline Muon Duc Huy

• In the Audience
« Reply #275 on: August 01, 2019, 10:19:19 AM »
brosa0, can you tell me where you found the pictures of Vietnamese Grand Game 2012 as well as their Plinko 2014, Bonus Game 2013, Shell Game 2012 and 2013, Line Em Up 2012? If they came from a clip can you send me a link to that clip? Thanks.

Also, I should point out that Vietnamese version was based on the US version but has the same winning bell/losing buzzer as Australia (the Australian come on down theme is used in credits), and a showcase round where 2 people bid on 1 showcase, but each showcase prize's price revealed one at a time.

Also can you give me links to some of your Vietnamese Price Is Right (Hãy Chọn Gía Đúng) episodes on Google Drive? I've been looking for them for years.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #276 on: August 01, 2019, 04:07:53 PM »
Pretty much all of the Vietnam screenshots came from episodes on Youtube.  If you search for Hãy Chọn Giá Đúng followed by a year (e.g. 2012, 2013) you should be able to find quite a few episodes including the ones that the screenshots are from.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #277 on: August 01, 2019, 07:22:06 PM »
It's in the Bag:
     -The front of the Australian prop looks like giant LEGO blocks.
     -Indonesia's bags are too narrow. They need to be widened a bit.
     -I love the Mexican color scheme. Green is a perfect color for a cash game.
     -I really, really love the Phillipine Big Doors. I'm not saying we should get something like that here, as I think they're waaay too flashy, but still appealing nonetheless.

Phone Home Game:
     -The French 1996 and 2001 sets are really my only favorites. Props to them for styling the set that way.
     -The 1983 Italian set is very pretty. I like it.

Bump:
     -I never was a fan of the Bump set. If I had to pick, I'd pick the one from '03. At least the name is easy to read.

Walk of Fame:
     -Star or Escalator? Hmm...I'd pick Escalator. It's a simple set that gets the point across.

That's too Much:
     -France: Just...no. I get the desire to be unique, but THAT'S JUST TOO MUCH!
     -Mexico, on the other hand, has a very colorful yet minimalistic set. I would prefer it over the US version.

Cliffhangers:
     -Australia 2012 removed the name. That's really a disappointment. If I hadn't ever seen TPIR before, I'd never know the name!
     -I like the Colombian set. There's lots of variety in the design.
     -It's very interesting how some of the props are facing the wrong way, as is Finland's. Is there a reason for this, or is it simply flipped for the heck of it?
     -About the only good thing about the French 2010 Cliffhangers is the SP podiums. They look nice. Designing the shelves to look like they're on top of Yodely Guy's back is very original.
     -The stage of the 2001 Indonesian TPIR is very elegant! Do you happen to have a picture of the whole set?
     -I really can't get over the Indonesian 2010 prop. At least expand the strip so that the numbers fit!
     -I'm not saying anything about the Portugal, Spain, or UK sets, since they're all copycats!

Yodely Guy:
     -I got a real kick out of the 95' Italy one. No personality, no face, just a body. At least it's better than the one for Russia. You can't beat a stick figure.

Mountain Themes:
     -I gotta give 'em credit: changing the theme is a great way to spruce up the game. My favorites are the Sphinx, carnival, and art gallery themes.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 07:24:36 PM by tpir04 »

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #278 on: August 05, 2019, 03:56:36 AM »
Below is the first series of "unique" games from international TPIR, with this particular set coming out of the UK.  I'll try to add Youtube links where available.  Following those is the first half of the contestant's rows (countries A-L).

3 In A Row:

Contestants select one item at a time and answer a question about the price of that item (e.g. True or False, Higher or Lower). They win with 3 correct answers in a line in any direction.

Click for larger image

Matchmaker:
UK: Spain:
Contestants have to match two panels hiding the same prize to win that prize (at least two of the panels have nothing).  They can't select a previously-selected panel unless trying to match with a new panel.   There is no pricing at all in this game, so it surely ranks as one of the worst games in the whole series.

Click for larger image

Partners:

It's hard to say how exactly this game works from the video, other than there are two contestants involved and three pairs of prices.   Seems like it might be inspired by the Phone Home Game?

Click for larger image

Permutation:

The contestant must add four of the six listed values together to come to the correct price of the prize.  They are given the most expensive one for free, and get a second chance if incorrect on the first attempt.

Click for larger image

Tic Tac Toe:
According to Wikipedia, this was a variation on Secret X.

Click for larger image

Walk The Line:

Basically a five item version of the pricing portion of Let 'Em Roll, deciding whether the item is higher or lower than the previous one in the line.  The contestant wins if they get all of them correct. 

Click for larger image

Contestant's Row Part 1:
Click for larger image

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #279 on: August 07, 2019, 04:23:05 PM »
Some comments about the UK pricing games:
     -3 in a Row is a favorite of mine. I can see some elements of Now or Then in the gameplay, and the room for error is greatly expanded as well.
     -Matchmaker certainly is not a pricing game, but it is okay nonetheless. I like that when one prize is revealed, the most previous prize is flipped back.
     -It seems like Partners is identical to the Phone Home Game, except that you're playing for the items themselves, instead of grocery products that have cash values attached to them. 
     -Permutation is good as well, but it's very important to note that Leslie tells the contestant if their first Permutation is higher or lower than the ARP. You omitted this in your description, which altered the judgment I had about this game (before I watched the video). I believe that rule makes playing the game a lot easier.
     -I also happened to watch Time-Play as well, and I did not like it at all. It seems too rushed. There are three prizes instead of two, which already makes the game much more difficult than necessary. In addition, at least with Clock Game, you get a break to collect yourself before bidding on the second prize. There is no such break here.

CR:
     -Lots of variations on shapes and colors. Since commenting on all of these would take a long time, I'll just provide my absolute favorites:

-Aussie '73, love the CR backdrop;
-Aussie '80, orange overload;
-Brazil '80, for the dollar signs in front;
-Chile, neon for the win;
-Germany '89, for the dark blue color;
-Italy '84 for the circular podiums, and;
-Italy '89 for the trapezoid-shaped podiums, and that oddly placed door in the back. (Any idea what that's for, Brosa?)

Shout-out goes to the background of the Indonesian TPIR, as I love the vividness of the color scheme and the symmetry of the G-T asterisks.

Offline Muon Duc Huy

• In the Audience
« Reply #280 on: August 08, 2019, 07:40:20 AM »
Contestant's Row:
- Aussie: Like the 2003 set. The blue monitor just look beautiful. Don't like the 1989 set because I can't see the bid on the yellow podium.
- Canada 1994: Cheap set.
- China 2009: Don't really like the circle podiums, but looks interesting to me.
- France 1999: Look similar to the Vietnamese 2011 one. Interesting.
- Germany 2007: Really bad compare with the 1993 one.
- Isarel: An exact copy of the Dutch ones.
- Italy: Quite interesting to see their inflation rate there. (Vietnamese is the same but without the last three digits in the CR)

Also, when will Part 2 Contestant's Row come out?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #281 on: August 08, 2019, 02:07:33 PM »
Also, when will Part 2 Contestant's Row come out?

It'll come with Brosa's next post, I'm sure. Patience, my friend.  :-)

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #282 on: August 11, 2019, 10:40:38 PM »
Next up are games that originated from the French 1999-01 series (source for a lot of the info was http://www.lejusteprixtv.com/), along with the second half of the contestant's rows.

Le Bowling:

In the French version, the contestant must knock all the pins down within three bowls to win (one bowl free; two extras gained through small items)
In the Italian version, the six pins correspond to different prizes/outcomes which they can accumulate with the extra bowls.

Click for larger image

Le lancer franc:
Essentially a basketball version of "On The Nose".

Click for larger image

Les tirs au but:
The contestant has to score three goals from six attempts, but can reduce the number of goals required to win through two small items.

Click for larger image

Le Juke Box:

In the French 2009 version, the contestant selects from three music genres and has to guess the song that is played.  If they do, one of the prizes is revealed and they must guess the price correctly from two options to win that prize.  This is all repeated for the other two prizes.

Click for larger image

Le TV quiz:
Essentially the same as Le Juke Box, but with TV shows instead of songs.

Click for larger image

Le Cine quiz:
Similar gameplay to Les tirs au but, with five correct guesses of music film tracks required to win which can be reduced to two correct guesses required through three small items.

Click for larger image

Le Flechettes:

In the 99-01 version, the game is played similar to Card Game in that the contestant must pop balloons of various values until the total is within a certain range of the price of the prize.

The 09 version is a small prize game where the contestant drops a dart on a value, then drops the corresponding earned dart on the centre red circle multiplier to win that money.

Click for larger image

Les cerceaux:
Another small prize game, with the contestant using hoops to earn money (one free hoop; up to four more can be earned).

Click for larger image

L'alarme Fatale:
The 99-01 version is basically a 5-prize Race Game variant.

The 09 series version is a small prize game to earn up to three keys, which the contestant use to open cells containing the prizes.  They then have to navigate through an obstacle course within a time limit without setting off a detonator to use the keys to open the cell doors for the corresponding prizes.

Click for larger image

Le code barre:

The contestant has 30 seconds to find and match the four barcodes that correspond to the four prizes.

Click for larger image

Le distributeur:

The contestant uses small prize guesses to complete the ATM "code" to win 10000F.

Click for larger image

Le 50-50:
A two player game using a home viewer on the telephone, much like Phone Home Game.  There are two, six-panel boards side-by-side (one for the in-studio contestant, one for the home viewer).  The in-studio contestant uses two small prizes to earn chances to reveal what's behind two of the panels on each side.  Both sides' panels include 2 x lose and 1 x second chance, however the in-studio contestant's side has 10/30/50 for the remaining three panels while the home viewer's side has 0/00/000.  The best panel revealed from each side is combined, so the contestants can win up to 50000F (50 + 000).

Click for larger image

Le oui ou non:
Translates to "Yes or No", the contestant must correctly guess a series of questions with the answer either 'Yes' or 'no' to progressively 'unlock' three prizes.  The game is over once they make three mistakes or get enough correct to win all three prizes.

Click for larger image

Contestant's Row Part 2:
Click for larger image
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:43:51 PM by brosa0 »

Offline Muon Duc Huy

• In the Audience
« Reply #283 on: August 12, 2019, 07:51:55 AM »
I founded that you missed some photos of the Vietnamese version:
- The Vietnam 2006 one you take is actually also came from 2010.
- Vietnamese version of Price actually taped in Ha Noi, Ho Chi Minh City and Da Nang, according to Wiki. In those different places, the Contestant's Row looks different.
- Here is some of the Vietnamese Contestant's Row photos you missed:
Here it is.

Sorry I'm not allowed to post external links on this website

You're allowed; you're just doing it wrong. -Steve
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 07:57:42 PM by SteveGavazzi »

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #284 on: August 14, 2019, 05:22:52 AM »
As a little aside, here is Slovakia's contestant selection lottery tumbler:

Every contestant has a number on their shirt in addition to their name, and there are four numbers drawn at the start of the show and one before each subsequent one bid.  If their number is drawn out they are the next contestant to 'come on down', so the contestant selection is completely random.