Author Topic: Daylight Saving Time begins  (Read 3695 times)

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
Daylight Saving Time begins
« on: March 04, 2019, 06:35:22 PM »
For those of you who are in an area that observe Daylight Saving Time, don't forget to set you clocks an hour forward this weekend.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Daylight Saving Time begins
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 07:11:22 PM »
And for many, I think they are getting tired of changing the clocks twice per year with some states and countries ready to eliminate the switch by moving to a new time zone.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 07:35:44 PM »
And for many, I think they are getting tired of changing the clocks twice per year with some states and countries ready to eliminate the switch by moving to a new time zone.

I'm sorry but I have to challenge this, since it sounds specious to me. How, in this era when nearly every clock is computerized in some way, is it so burdensome? It's only a biannual occasion.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 08:31:27 PM »
I'm sorry but I have to challenge this, since it sounds specious to me. How, in this era when nearly every clock is computerized in some way, is it so burdensome? It's only a biannual occasion.

Well, the issue is from what I have heard, technology has changed and changing clocks disrupts sleep time and causes accidents, that doesn't really save energy anymore. Keeping it on year round by a standard time zone like some states, and even Saskatchewan eliminates this issue.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 09:09:19 PM »
Well, the issue is from what I have heard...

I think we've addressed this topic sufficiently in another thread, so I won't re-hash that discussion here.

...technology has changed and changing clocks disrupts sleep time and causes accidents...

If it were by more than an hour, I might agree. But an hour? Please cite a source for how adjusting by a single hour disrupts sleep and causes accidents. And the first part of your statement seems to contradict the second--technology has changed since when? auto-adjusting clocks aren't new.

Keeping it on year round by a standard time zone like some states, and even Saskatchewan eliminates this issue.

Again...what "issue"? Bear in mind something you heard about isn't really credible. What evidence do you have of what you're saying?

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 09:32:10 PM »
Is it just me, or is there a lot of "i have an opinion on X so it's a fact" happening around here lately?

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 09:55:45 PM »
Well lawmakers in many states are trying to make DST year round by proposing their own bills to be passed. Yes I understand it is only an hour to change the clocks back and forth but that hour especially when we fall back makes sunset way early in the winter months for some states. Maybe this link might help explain why many want it year round:

https://www.newsweek.com/daylight-saving-time-when-clocks-change-1349241

And to be clear on the sleeping and accidents issue, maybe some of these links might help. I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding what I said earlier.

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/coping-with-time-changes
https://www.businessinsider.com/daylight-saving-time-is-deadly-2018-3
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:02:43 PM by mellongraig »

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 08:47:06 AM »
Mellongraig, Thank you for posting some links. It just seems lately we had a lot of "I believe this, so it's fact" and i had assumed you said that too. I am sorry!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 05:14:54 PM »
Thanks for the sources, Mellongraig.  When tragedy happens and only one person dies tops, it is saddening no matter the cause.  Life is a legacy and it should be imperative to do what it takes to prevent a loss of life from occurring too soon.  Therefore, if the other 48 states were to stick to one time year-round that would be great.

That being said, if they don't change it, I'm okay with that as well.  The thing is the government has a lot of more critical issues on their plate that I don't know if it'll happen as soon as possible.  For someone like me I simply would adjust by going to bed earlier or anticipating the move in advance.  I'm fortunate that it doesn't hurt me on Sunday since I'm off but I do factor it in since I'm more often than not doing something worthwhile

The big concerns are truck drivers and those that work during the change (the fall back actually would hurt more IMO), but I'd be more pissed at the employers for not making the adjustments.

Either way, I'm okay with it (change or no change); jet-lag is worse to deal with over an hour change.  Personally it's been just over 4 months since the fall-back that I actually don't bother to change my clocks in November (that need it)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 10:21:19 PM »
There is no practical reason for it. I know so many people who are exhausted Monday morning because of the change, even though it happens on Sunday. Changing the clocks are annoying too. Myself for example, I have my car clock, plus a few on the wall that I have to change twice a year.

Hawaii and Arizona, plus (I believe) all of the territories do not observe it, and it seems to work fine.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 05:41:42 AM »
I'm pretty lucky, because with the exception of my microwave's clock (which I usually NEVER use) I don't have to set any of my clocks. I only have 3 clocks I use: my computer's clock, my glance clock (look it up) and my phone's clock. I usually stay up so I can see the time change.

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 07:34:22 PM »
I have been counting the days until the sun sets after 6PM.

I am so glad winter is getting near done and spring will be here.  I hate winter and when the sun sets at 4, 5 PM.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 11:00:09 AM »
For those of you who had been born at 2:30 AM on March 10, well, I feel your pain.  :-)
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 10:23:36 AM »
Here's some philosophy for you all:  (clock) time is a completely invented thing.  Our ancestors rose with the sun and stopped working when the sun set.  There are plenty of places in the world where even the language doesn't allow for time as most of us understand it.   Because time is contrived, changing it around twice a year is bound to have some effects, which have been proven and quoted here already.   

Whether standard tome or DST, choosing one and staying with it would be better.   Yes, schedules for some things may change with the seasons, but that's easy to accommodate.   

I don't know how it works for everyone else, but somehow I lose the hour of sleep in the spring and never really gain it back in the fall, because I wake up an hour before the alarm goes off. 

Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.