Author Topic: What are some of your interests besides TPiR?  (Read 4879 times)

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
What are some of your interests besides TPiR?
« on: March 04, 2019, 06:40:37 PM »
We all have certain things we all like in life besides The Price is Right. So list some of your other favorite things on this thread. :)
-----
Me, I like 1970s/80s/90s nostalgia and music, comedy, anime/manga, Japanese culture, sports (I like MLB, the NFL, the NFL and the CFL [Canadian Football League]), food, and retro gaming. I sometimes tend to pepper in pop culture, sports and/or Japanese references in my everyday converstations.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: What are some of your interests besides TPiR?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 06:46:43 PM »
Rodeos (I work as an arena director and chute help at them), reading fantasy/sci-fi books, comic books, anime, and enjoying time with my family and my dachshund Rebel.
1,697 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 06:47:58 PM »
I love programming and making websites. In a few months, if all goes well, I'll have a bachelor of science degree in computer science, hoping to get something related to web development for a job. Where I live in Washington state there's no shortage of computer-related jobs, so I should still be able to stick close to home, which is what I'd prefer.

I also love cooking and baking and meteorology. As a kid I always wanted to be either a television meteorologist or a news anchor - I wanted to have Matt Lauer's job when I grew up!
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 08:37:39 PM »
We all have certain things we all like in life besides The Price is Right. So list some of your other favorite things on this thread. :)
-----
Me, I like 1970s/80s/90s nostalgia and music, comedy, anime/manga, Japanese culture, sports (I like MLB, the NFL, the NFL and the CFL [Canadian Football League]), food, and retro gaming. I sometimes tend to pepper in pop culture, sports and/or Japanese references in my everyday converstations.

Since I can't edit my first post, I will also add I am a huge fan of both Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Rifftrax.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 09:12:50 PM »
I enjoy watching Ohio State Football and Men's Basketball, I enjoy watching and going to the movies and listening to music from mostly the 70s and the 80s along with some 90s. My lifetime passion of course is watching game shows, I still enjoy watching Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune to this day in addition to TPIR and Let's Make A Deal.
Jay Williams

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 10:25:13 AM »
-----

I'm an anime type as well. Anything from classics (i.e., Sailor Moon, Evangelion, Dragon Ball, etc.) to modern things (i.e., Darling in the FranXX, Strike Witches, Sekirei, etc.); you name it.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline geniusinmath

• Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 11:53:18 AM »
I'm an trading card collector for over 10 years. I enjoy Sailor Moon, role-playing, and doing stats.

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 11:54:52 AM »
Music, particularly fingerstyle guitar. I'm always looking for new artists to learn from....I'm far from an expert, but every day, I get a little bit closer. Music has become such a safe haven for me
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 02:53:46 PM »
First off, other game shows in general, in particular Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! which I've watched literally since I was in the cradle. Otherwise, various things (especially 1950s-90s nostalgia/vintage stuff, including music, movies, & TV). Over the past several years, I've probably become most hooked upon searching various blank VHS/Betamax tapes and hunting for old recorded content. I've found stuff as early as 1977, including a Giants-Bengals NFL game and an episode of The Bob Newhart Show, along with TONS of '80s/'90s stuff along the way, from talk shows to soaps to game shows to Johnny Carson to MTV to Star Search to Olympics, newscasts, and much, much, more. The Paley Center visit in 2017 showed how wonderful an experience it is, and even though I don't have as much 1950s-70s stuff (mostly through some trades and reruns of those shows in later decades), it still proves that there's LOTS of classic TV that many haven't seen that it's easy to ahor to NBC's '90s summer rerun slogan "If you haven't seen it, it's new to you". I was a big TMNT fan as a kid and became big into it again several years ago, but I don't like the current Nick "Tales" series.

A good way to see what others pursue is to check out this thread involving tape hunting over at a cool site that has lot's of talk about classic radio/TV. It's a long read (100+ pages), but you'll see how some can unlock these hidden treasures:

https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?468007-Oldest-Extant-Off-Air-VHS-Beta-Tape-You-Have
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 06:11:34 PM »
Thanks for the thread, jlgarfield.  Over the past couple of weeks several people I have called good friends over the years have dealt with a loss of a great person & mentor that we first met on platform similar to this one.  There is a connection I think.

When not focusing on TPIR, I'm a fan of Wheel and Jeopardy (two historics GS along with Price).  Plus, Family Feud (all the version but more focus on original Dawson, Combs, and Harvey).  In addition, Match Game (original) and $25K/$100K Pyramid with Dick Clark are my go-to Game Shows.  Outside of gameshows, TV programs are mostly sports these days, and some reality (not as much as before).  I don't watch sitcoms, comedy & action shows as much since my schedule is busy & their shows are available on the Internet and OnDemand. 

Outside of TV, my hobbies include movies, amusement parks, golfing whenever possible, hanging out with friends, sports decisions, and reading.  Finally, when not doing those or whatever else I didn't mention, I like to spend time with family or catch-up be it phone, text, skype, or however else

I used to be on a not defunct site that grew in popularity over the years after its launch.  There was a show that was discussed to an extreme and a bunch of people met up at a bar to watch a finale show in New York together.  It was very special; the stars of the show "crashed" the party  Subsequent seasons and finales would grow in capacity and popularity.  In time the regulars would get to know each other and the topics grew from the show in discussion to other TV shows and then non-TV.  We went from posters to friends not just limited to the Internet but friends at the level of local friends. 

As mentioned, one member passed last month, and had it not been for getting to know that person or everyone outside of television, we might not have ever known. 

"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 07:51:11 PM »
^ Anytime. :) I forgot to mention I also like game shows, not just TPiR. :D

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 08:53:45 PM »
When I'm not watching TPIR, you'll usually find me watching Buzzr TV. Whatever isn't on there will be on YouTube. That's the next place you'll find me. I am also fond of 1950s-90s nostalgia, and, even though I'm a post-Millennial, I'm a particularly big fan of the traditional pop songs of the 1950s and 60s. (Don't ask me to name favorites, because there are so, so many.)  :biggrin: I play card games with my teenage friends, especially Euchre and Poker, and some sports, like soccer and pool (billiards).
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 05:10:11 AM »
One interest of mine besides TPIR is collecting old newspapers from my youth and before (something that my nephew has helped me with immensely; I've paid him for them, and he's gotten them for me through his EBay account). What I mean is, back when a paper was a paper, and not today's uber-thin rags (and when Sunday papers had a lot more in them for a lot less [not like today, where there's a lot less for a lot more]).

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 02:10:23 PM »
Surprised this hasn’t been asked before.

I love to travel, especially roadtrips. One of my goals was to visit all 50 states and DC, which I completed last June. Now it’s on to the territories. So far, I have knocked Virgin Islands off the list. The Canadian provinces and territories are also a goal.

I also am a sports fan, especially baseball and football. I love visiting different baseball parks, both majors and minors.

I am into broadcasting and its history. It’s amazing how much the medium has evolved over the years.

Politics are also an interest of mine, but per the rules of the board, I won’t go into details on that.

Collecting old and foreign currencies are a hobby too.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 01:34:09 PM »
Some of my other hobbies: Watching sports (mainly MLB, NBA/college basketball, and Dallas Cowboys football), listening to music (with eclectic tastes ranging from R&B/pop to jazz), collecting DVDs of great movies from the past (mainly from the 1970s to now) as well as hit sitcoms (I currently have King of the Hill, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and The King of Queens in the rotation, and my goal is to have enough shows to start my own TV channel, LOL).