Author Topic: Showcase opinion  (Read 3151 times)

Offline cygnusx1jg

• Outside in Line
Showcase opinion
« on: March 06, 2019, 11:58:27 AM »
Watching today's (3/6/19) show and I'm just gonna go ahead and say it---in my opinion, a showcase with zero cars is just wrong!

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Re: Showcase opinion
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 12:24:27 PM »
That's a fine opinion, and I for the most part agree. However, it is apparent that we are in budget mode, especially with L7's price and the 20-case yesterday. It would be much easier on the budget to give prizes that a person could potentially forfeit due to tax reasons, such as a boat or expensive trips.

I'd prefer showcases without cars instead of having only one car in a showcase that is essentially forced to be lost.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline digiblader1

• Outside in Line
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 12:25:17 PM »
To me, that screams a show that's gone overbudget for the season and now Mike Richards is trying to make up for it..

Of course, it's also wrong that we've gone from one nice car in one of the showcases to frequently two cheap cars, one in each showcase in recent years--making the showcases feel cheaper.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 07:23:48 PM »
They finally had a Showcase with no cars?

Yay!

I hate basically knowing ahead of time whether or not there'll be a car in the Showcase.  It takes away from the excitement factor when it's revealed if you know it's coming, and it essentially makes passing a no-brainer for the Top Winner under certain circumstances.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 08:37:12 PM »
So...what defines a "Cheap car?" I'm genuinely curious.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 08:09:48 AM »
So...what defines a "Cheap car?" I'm genuinely curious.

Under $19,000 or so these days. Pretty much any subcompact or a base trim compact with manual transmission and no options (except for perhaps PFP). Compacts, base-trim intermediates, and small SUVs tend to be "regular cars" ($19,000-$26,000 or so), with anything above that being "luxury cars" (or near luxury if high $20s-$30s, which sadly tends to get overlooked).

It was actually quite a bit more common in the Barker era to have both showcases be carless, with a boat or trailer being the top prize in the better showcase. A car would usually appear every other show, and it almost never was a cheap car, and a luxury or near-luxury car was offered fairly frequently, around three times a month. Since trailers have all but disappeared, those cheap cars have sort of taken their place. Even with those carless showcases, it still beats those grandfather clocks, organs, heavy stereo systems, amphibious vehicles, and dune buggies. Trips seem to appear more often now in showcases anyway, since a lot of people have that furniture that they wouldn't really need.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 08:27:45 AM »
I don't mind a carless showcase once in a while to change things up.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 09:24:46 AM »
Quote from: pannoni1
It was actually quite a bit more common in the Barker era to have both showcases be carless, with a boat or trailer being the top prize in the better showcase.

In fact, it was common enough that we have these here:

:frts:

:frbs:
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 08:00:53 PM »
Trips seem to appear more often now in showcases anyway, since a lot of people have that furniture that they wouldn't really need.

I believe this was a direct result from the exact showcase bid because trips are much easier to manipulate by switching out a meal or adding an excursion.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 09:27:17 PM »
I believe this was a direct result from the exact showcase bid because trips are much easier to manipulate by switching out a meal or adding an excursion.

I don't think it's ever been definitively proven, but there's also an assumption that having more trips is budget-friendly since contestants are more likely to turn down a vacation than most other prizes.  If you win a tangible prize that you don't want, you can always accept it and sell it.  But a trip can't be exchanged or transferred.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 07:32:53 AM »
The Showcases are so boring and predictable this past decade.  Trip Car Trip Car Trip Car Trip Trip Car Trip

Trip prices are indeed easier to manipulate and displaying them on those various video screens is a lot easier/cheaper from a production standpoint.   They can get away with a smaller backstage crew if there are less physical items to move on and off stage.  They just have to roll in those video walls or project on the Turntable platform or the screen in the back of the audience.   Showcases used to hold my interest and have an element of surprise.  Today they are poorly written and not entertaining unfortunately.