Author Topic: when networks had a full daytime schedule, what was your schedule of shows?  (Read 2696 times)

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
For me, it was the NBC game shows, then ABC's soaps.

Offline Combs

• In Contestant's Row
The nine months between July 4, 1988 and March 31, 1989 on CBS with Family Feud (Ray Combs), Card Sharks (Bob Eubanks), and The Price Is Right (Bob Barker).

The only thing missing was Match Game.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Prior to Price being the only daytime game show, I only vaguely remember watching Combs Feud and Bob Eubanks on Family Secrets when both were in first run.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
I was born at a time where my first clear memories revealed the networks in the waning days of its schedule, which was the 1989-90 season for me. For me, it was Sesame Street at 9 AM on WETA, followed by Scrabble and Classic Concentration on WRC (WMAR didn't clear those shows, airing the expanded to an hour Sally Jessy Raphael instead), and then over to WBAL (when it was a CBS affiliate) or WUSA for TPIR, and then lunch. My family didn't get cable until Christmas of 1990, so the afternoons would usually be just be spent playing toys, the NES, books, or going to the store with mom. I sometimes watched soaps, and gravitated towards The Young & the Restless, then over to Days of Our Lives from the second half, then Another World, and Santa Barbara if I decided to watch those. I'd sometimes watch more PBS or an indie for cartoons, or even just use the family VCR playing those now-worthless store-bought VHS tapes, especially Disney, TMNT, and edutainment-type videos. This would apply for Tuesdays and Thursdays since I had preschool on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. For the 1990-91 season (the last season IMO where networks had a "full" daytime schedule), it was limited to mornings on most schooldays, but that meant I'd hit the bus stop right after TPIR since I had "PM kindergarten". Unfortunately, Match Game '90 was not an option in the DC-Baltimore area as both WJZ and WJLA didn't clear it. If it aired in those markets, it was on a far-flung UHF like WFTY or WNUV that aired it in a death slot, and I never was aware of this version until the end of the '90s after I got the Internet. I continued to watch Classic Concentration for its final first-run season, but started to get more into Combs Feud, and WBAL at the time carried both the CBS AND syndie versions, airing back-to-back before TPIR. After school by then meant The Disney Afternoon on WDCA (the last part with Chip 'n Dale and TaleSpin), followed by TMNT (the first 65 episodes).

Daytime since then just can't quite compare, though CBS comes closest in terms of a "full schedule", just with a "local time" hour between CBS This Morning and following The Talk. NBC of course is a disgrace with just DOOL being its last holdout, and although perhaps ABC could improve with their game shows they've been adding, also has just General Hospital and The View.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline harrisburgpatv

• Outside in Line
I was born at a time where my first clear memories revealed the networks in the waning days of its schedule, which was the 1989-90 season for me. For me, it was Sesame Street at 9 AM on WETA, followed by Scrabble and Classic Concentration on WRC (WMAR didn't clear those shows, airing the expanded to an hour Sally Jessy Raphael instead), and then over to WBAL (when it was a CBS affiliate) or WUSA for TPIR, and then lunch. My family didn't get cable until Christmas of 1990, so the afternoons would usually be just be spent playing toys, the NES, books, or going to the store with mom. I sometimes watched soaps, and gravitated towards The Young & the Restless, then over to Days of Our Lives from the second half, then Another World, and Santa Barbara if I decided to watch those. I'd sometimes watch more PBS or an indie for cartoons, or even just use the family VCR playing those now-worthless store-bought VHS tapes, especially Disney, TMNT, and edutainment-type videos. This would apply for Tuesdays and Thursdays since I had preschool on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. For the 1990-91 season (the last season IMO where networks had a "full" daytime schedule), it was limited to mornings on most schooldays, but that meant I'd hit the bus stop right after TPIR since I had "PM kindergarten". Unfortunately, Match Game '90 was not an option in the DC-Baltimore area as both WJZ and WJLA didn't clear it. If it aired in those markets, it was on a far-flung UHF like WFTY or WNUV that aired it in a death slot, and I never was aware of this version until the end of the '90s after I got the Internet. I continued to watch Classic Concentration for its final first-run season, but started to get more into Combs Feud, and WBAL at the time carried both the CBS AND syndie versions, airing back-to-back before TPIR. After school by then meant The Disney Afternoon on WDCA (the last part with Chip 'n Dale and TaleSpin), followed by TMNT (the first 65 episodes).

You may be just about 10 years younger than me. :) I used to watch "The Magic Garden" before PM Kindergarten in 1980.

As far as Match Game '90 in the DC-Baltimore area, I don't believe that any of the smaller independents picked up. Where I lived at the time, WPVI (Philly) and WNEP (Scranton) didn't carry it. WTXF in Philly carried the Perfect Strangers reruns on a one-day delay at 10am, and I was hoping that they would also carry MG, but to no avail.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Back when daytime Wheel of Fortune aired opposite the first half of TPIR, we'd sometimes watch Wheel, then switch over to the second half of TPIR. I remember lots of NBC game shows quite well, with Scrabble, Win Lose or Draw, Caesars Challenge and Classic Concentration being the best-known ones. As far as soaps went, we always stuck with CBS.

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience

Daytime since then just can't quite compare, though CBS comes closest in terms of a "full schedule", just with a "local time" hour between CBS This Morning and following The Talk. NBC of course is a disgrace with just DOOL being its last holdout, and although perhaps ABC could improve with their game shows they've been adding, also has just General Hospital and The View.

I did the same thing but watched ABC's soaps. mom was a big ABC fan then, but i'd watch  Scrabble and Classic Concentration on NBC(WYFF Greenville SC). Those were the only non ABC shows I saw during the day. And prior to March of 89, Sale of The Century as well.