Author Topic: Clearance Sale re-do idea  (Read 4989 times)

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
Clearance Sale re-do idea
« on: March 10, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »
In reading about pricing game flops earlier, and also another thread on Clearance Sale itself, I thought of a proposal to amend it into a new pricing game called "On Sale".

As before, there would be 3 prizes and each would have a price attached to it.  Two of the three would be sales prices, but one would be a price marked higher than the actual retail price.

To win all 3 prizes, the player would have to pick both of the prizes that were on sale to win the game.  If they chose the prize that was marked up, they'd win nothing.

Just kind of a simple idea of a retooling for a 3 prize quicky.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Clearance Sale re-do idea
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 05:05:28 PM »
It wouldn't be a bad idea and it would make it more unique from Eazy Az 123. It does makes me think of Super Saver as a three prize game instead of a GP game though too.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 06:55:03 PM »
This game was called "Buy or Sell."
John

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 07:45:39 PM »
I created a two-prize game similar to this called "Marked Down". There would be two prizes with prices under them shown as well as a dollar amount in between the prizes (Example: $700.) One price is marked up $700 and one is marked down $700. To win, pick the prize that is marked down.  This was something I thought up during a time when there weren't too many quickie two-prize games, so it was not meant to be too complex, although this game easily be played for trips or even rarely for two cars.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline rowlande

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 09:33:01 PM »
Does anyone think Super Saver could work on today’s show

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 09:36:56 PM »
Does anyone think Super Saver could work on today’s show

Why are we suddenly talking about Super Saver in a thread about Buy or Sell Clearance Sale?

/Anywho, prop-wise I'm not sure...I remember how many technical difficulties the original ran into. You could replace the eggcrate display with an LCD easily enough, but wasn't that the game that also had never-ending trilon problems?

If I'm remembering that right, and assuming they could design out that particular issue, I for one would love to see Super Saver back. It seemed like a fun game, and it doesn't seem like it took too long to play.

Offline rowlande

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 09:40:07 PM »
Because the rules of the clearance sale re do idea sounds very similar to Super Saver

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 09:44:57 PM »
Because the rules of the clearance sale re do idea sounds very similar to Super Saver

I put it to you that that connection wasn't evident (to me anyway). Maybe next time explain your thinking a little more so the rest of us can follow. Otherwise your post can come across like a very random turn indeed.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 10:17:31 PM »
I put it to you that that connection wasn't evident (to me anyway).
The idea of choosing two prizes with prices shown below the retail price and one above is very similar to Super Saver's premise, even though in Super Saver you were trying to add up the savings to $1.00.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 10:23:48 PM »
The idea of choosing two prizes with prices shown below the retail price and one above is very similar to Super Saver's premise, even though in Super Saver you were trying to add up the savings to $1.00.

Thanks for that, I got it once rowlande explained it. I was just asking him to be clearer in the future, is all.

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 04:27:54 PM »
Not sure if this would really work very well, but maybe mark each prize with a sale price and give the contestant a 25% tag, 50% tag, and a 75% tag and determine for each sale price how much the actual price has been discounted by, i.e., a $4,000 item marked as $3,000 would get the 25% tag since it's been discounted by 25%.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 04:43:18 PM »
Not sure if this would really work very well, but maybe mark each prize with a sale price and give the contestant a 25% tag, 50% tag, and a 75% tag and determine for each sale price how much the actual price has been discounted by, i.e., a $4,000 item marked as $3,000 would get the 25% tag since it's been discounted by 25%.

Nope. Contestants had/have enough trouble with simple addition in Add 'em Up and Check Game...asking them to comprehend percentages is probably pushing it.

Offline tradersnob10

• Outside in Line
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 04:11:53 PM »
My version of "Clearance Sale" would be played for a large prize over $5,000 (which also could be played for a car) and played with four grocery items.
They are four price tags one of them is the "Sale Price". The object is pick the GP that has the sale price. If so, you win the prize, if not you have two do-overs.
The final do-over there are two GPs, one is a Sale Price the other is a non-sale price.
If the contestant picks the sale price, they win, otherwise the game is over and the losing horns will sound.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 04:44:17 PM »
So... it's Quadruple Prices, except with a 3/4 chance of winning?

Doesn't that seem a little easy to you?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 07:57:04 PM »
That's a terrible idea.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.