Author Topic: It's official! ABC has posted info on CS and PYL revivals  (Read 38310 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
It's official! ABC has posted info on CS and PYL revivals
« on: March 13, 2019, 06:19:06 PM »
See for yourself! Unfortunately there isn't much to speak of, as most of the info we already know, but the article is still worth mentioning. (And no, there are no Super Whammies.) :)

https://abc.go.com/news/insider/press-your-luck-and-card-sharks-coming-to-abc

CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
Re: It's official! ABC has posted info on CS and PYL revivals
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 08:56:00 PM »
I am delighted that Press Your Luck and Card Sharks are getting revived in prime time joining four other game show remakes on ABC including Celebrity Family Feud, Match Game, To Tell The Truth and $100,000 Pyramid. That will bring ABC's total of prime time game shows to six although they have not announced whether or not The Gong Show has been renewed for another season. Looking forward to see what exciting changes and additions being made to both PYL and CS. BTW, has anyone heard about the future of The Gong Show at ABC?
Jay Williams

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:07:43 PM »
How true will these shows be to the originals? The Bullard Card Sharks was awful.

The only ABC revival I can stomach right now is Pyramid.

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:07:57 PM »
“Press Your Luck” has a bonus round now, hmm? Color me interested.

And as long as the “Card Sharks” reboot isn’t 2001 or 1996 bad, I’ll be able to stomach a potential format change.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 09:12:37 PM »
“Press Your Luck” has a bonus round now, hmm? Color me interested.

And as long as the “Card Sharks” reboot isn’t 2001 or 1996 bad, I’ll be able to stomach a potential format change.
Agreed on PYL, can't wait for it to see how it's bonus round will be played. For CS, as long as they keep the classic 70s and 80s format, I will be happy.
Jay Williams

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 03:02:44 AM »
I am delighted that Press Your Luck and Card Sharks are getting revived in prime time joining four other game show remakes on ABC including Celebrity Family Feud, Match Game, To Tell The Truth and $100,000 Pyramid. That will bring ABC's total of prime time game shows to six although they have not announced whether or not The Gong Show has been renewed for another season. Looking forward to see what exciting changes and additions being made to both PYL and CS. BTW, has anyone heard about the future of The Gong Show at ABC?
They have it already. Only they call it American Idol. 😉
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 03:01:29 PM »
They have it already. Only they call it American Idol. 😉
They've had The Gong Show on the past two summers, in addition to American Idol in the spring.

It'll be interesting to see what the bonus round in the new Press Your Luck entails. It will eliminate anti-climatic endings. I wonder if it means they won't have players passing spins anymore, players will only use the spins they earn. For Card Sharks I'm sure it'll be more faithful to the Perry and Eubanks/Rafftery versions than the 2001 version.

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 04:32:45 PM »
They've had The Gong Show on the past two summers, in addition to American Idol in the spring.

It'll be interesting to see what the bonus round in the new Press Your Luck entails. It will eliminate anti-climatic endings. I wonder if it means they won't have players passing spins anymore, players will only use the spins they earn. For Card Sharks I'm sure it'll be more faithful to the Perry and Eubanks/Rafftery versions than the 2001 version.

My guess is the format (including Big Bang, I think) will remain intact, but the bonus round is simply attached.

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 04:53:39 PM »
My guess is the format (including Big Bang, I think) will remain intact, but the bonus round is simply attached.

EDIT: Big Bank*

I did not edit my original comment in time.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 06:53:38 PM »
EDIT: Big Bank*

I did not edit my original comment in time.
And the Big Bank wasn't part of the original format, that was bolted on for the GSN version.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 04:38:29 PM »
Any thoughts on whether or not they should keep the Double Whammies from the 2002 Whammy? I think they should. It was fun watching those poor people getting a bucket full of *insert item here*.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• In Contestant's Row
  • Third person to ever see the new studio
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 05:56:14 PM »
Any thoughts on whether or not they should keep the Double Whammies from the 2002 Whammy? I think they should. It was fun watching those poor people getting a bucket full of *insert item here*.
I personally don't think they should. I think that was just an unnecessary gimmick. Who wants to be buried in popcorn/grass clippings/shredded paper/M&M's?
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 07:08:51 PM »

Yes: I think they should just stick with traditional Whammies (including a less CGI look than we got with the 2002 version). I personally wouldn't want my nice dress clothes to get messed up by having things dropped on me from the ceiling, especially if I was losing a huge amount of money and/or first place at the same time. I'd also like the host to simply say "stop at a Whammy" instead of leading into the animation the way Todd did (i.e. "Stop at a swingin' Whammy" for the Tarzan one). As likable as Todd was, it was a blatant attempt (at least to me) for the show to go for the cheap laugh.

That, the oval-shaped board, and the contestant island that only spun 90 degrees instead of the traditional 180, are things I'd be content to leave as GSN exclusives. (Forgive me for saying this but I'd also like to see a set design less ultra-modern and more respectful of the good old days, similar to the Game Show Marathon one.)

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 08:22:27 PM »
I personally don't think they should. I think that was just an unnecessary gimmick. Who wants to be buried in popcorn/grass clippings/shredded paper/M&M's?

i agree, if i wanted messed up like that, i'd have signed up for Family Double Dare

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 08:31:00 PM »
Any thoughts on whether or not they should keep the Double Whammies from the 2002 Whammy?

I like the concept, but I think the extra punishment should be something other than a minor physical indignity.  They didn't really add anything to the game.  Maybe a Double Whammy takes all of your money plus a spin or two?

If they do another Big Bank, I have a feeling they will leave the trivia element out of it.  That just screams "low budget," and it's also a momentum killer in what's supposed to be the fast-paced part of the show.