Author Topic: It's official! ABC has posted info on CS and PYL revivals  (Read 38320 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: It's official! ABC has posted info on CS and PYL revivals
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 01:41:32 AM »
I like the concept, but I think the extra punishment should be something other than a minor physical indignity.  They didn't really add anything to the game.  Maybe a Double Whammy takes all of your money plus a spin or two?

If they do another Big Bank, I have a feeling they will leave the trivia element out of it.  That just screams "low budget," and it's also a momentum killer in what's supposed to be the fast-paced part of the show.

I imagine the feel will be closer to the 80's version than the 2000's one, just based on how others have been treated. It's more in now to go retro than reinvent the wheel. The game may be slightly different as far as the bonus round in particular goes, but the format/feel I don't think will take anything from the 2000's era.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 11:00:14 AM »
Hoping the revival series stays true to the original.

Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 11:48:44 AM »
^ All of a sudden the little rounded red squares to the far left and right of the PYL board (look past the projection screens at either side of the board and you'll see a red light running along the edge of the board, and then you'll see another red square with semicircular rounded top and bottom sticking out) make sense to me. A nod to how the Second Chance board was made.

/On topic: faithful to the original would be great...but please, better music :)

Actually speaking of music...didn't one of the licensed games have to use the pilot theme because Fremantle couldn't find the actual PYL music in their archives? (They had it for Gameshow Marathon, but I digress.) Part of me wonders--do the odds favor them re-creating the original library if they still don't have it, doing what they did with Feud when it came back in 1999 and having a modern remix, or doing something new entirely?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 11:52:17 AM by ThomHuge »

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 06:24:19 PM »
Actually speaking of music...didn't one of the licensed games have to use the pilot theme because Fremantle couldn't find the actual PYL music in their archives? (They had it for Gameshow Marathon, but I digress.) Part of me wonders--do the odds favor them re-creating the original library if they still don't have it, doing what they did with Feud when it came back in 1999 and having a modern remix, or doing something new entirely?

That was Press Your Luck 2010 Edition, released on the Wii, Nintendo DS and PC, that featured the pilot theme.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 09:48:41 PM »
That was Press Your Luck 2010 Edition, released on the Wii, Nintendo DS and PC, that featured the pilot theme.

Alright so rough timeline puts GSM in 2005-ish, when they had at least one piece of music--I remember they used the original closing theme for the entire PYL episode (I thought I was hearing things until that episode showed up on YouTube later on). So sometime between then and 2009 (when I imagine they were making the 2010 game), they lost the original music. Or else they lost rights to use it, one.

/I know it's a bit off-topic, but I have a hard time fathoming how either eventuality could happen.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 03:33:01 AM »
Hoping the revival series stays true to the original.

I'm surprised to find this for one, this has to be one of the few remaining that exist, and maybe only recently found? Not sure but feels like it. Thanks for posting it though :)

Also.....interesting thing on this, the Australian Feud theme from this same period would seem to have been heavily patterned after its' theme. If compare the two, they're pretty similar. Listen to the intro here.

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 05:04:00 AM »
Would Second Chance have lasted longer on ABC if it hadn’t been on at the uncoveted 12 Noon ET time? It didn’t clear our city (Atlanta, which didn’t clear PYL either); I did get to see it on a family trip to Florida. Quite enjoyable.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 05:26:21 AM »
Would Second Chance have lasted longer on ABC if it hadn’t been on at the uncoveted 12 Noon ET time? It didn’t clear our city (Atlanta, which didn’t clear PYL either); I did get to see it on a family trip to Florida. Quite enjoyable.

I think the only thing I mighta changed was the no additional spins in round 1. I was a bit thrown by that, took a little away for me drama wise. I was reading too that the 2nd round didn't have them early on either if I understood it right. So this woulda been after that clearly. Overall pretty entertaining though, and neat to see the precursor to PYL later in full like this and great quality at that. I definitely think it deserved a longer run and maybe woulda gotten it in a better slot, maybe like a 1 or 1:30 spot perhaps?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 05:28:34 AM by pricefan18 »

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 01:04:36 PM »

Second Chance had a better slot in Washington, DC (10:30 AM, likely a one-day delay, which is what the one regular episode with video that circulates that you see above comes from). It's didn't clear WJZ in Baltimore, because like WJLA, it already aired the Noon news. It's successor, The Better Sex, aired at 10 AM on a one-day delay, along with carrying one-day delay episodes of Tattletales at 10:30, which WTOP (now WUSA) aired Dinah! instead at the O&O time slot. But for the O&O's and others that picked it up, Noon was the daytime equivalent of Friday/Saturday nights in primetime.

Still great to see PYL and CS back again!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 01:08:21 PM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 01:46:13 PM »
The Better Sex aired here on a one-day delay at 9 AM. Repeats of Gambit followed.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 07:40:26 PM »
“Press Your Luck” has a bonus round now, hmm? Color me interested.

And as long as the “Card Sharks” reboot isn’t 2001 or 1996 bad, I’ll be able to stomach a potential format change.

I guess I'm neutral to the "bonus round" as it relates to PYL.  I personally preferred the Jeopardy! game-play where all participating contestants got to participate in the end game.  Anyway, as the saying goes, change is inevitable.
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 02:39:29 PM »
My guess is the format (including Big Bang, I think) will remain intact, but the bonus round is simply attached.

Honestly, if I were to attach a Bonus Game to PYL, especially if there were a syndicated version, I'd have an "eliminate the Whammy" game, whereby eliminating 10 Whammies wins a bonus prize, such as a car. (Or, if this were the 1980s version, maybe $10,000 cash.)

Here, the game would begin with a set number of Whammies on the board, the idea being you want to land on the Whammy. Each time the contestant lands on a Whammy, it would be worth cash (in the 1980s, it would be $100 per Whammy landed on) and would take that Whammy space out of play. The contestant would get one miss, but a second miss would end the game with only the consolation cash. However, landing on a 10th Whammy would net the bonus.

It'll be interesting to see what the bonus game will be here with the ABC revival.

Brian

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 03:05:50 PM »
Here, the game would begin with a set number of Whammies on the board, the idea being you want to land on the Whammy. Each time the contestant lands on a Whammy, it would be worth cash (in the 1980s, it would be $100 per Whammy landed on) and would take that Whammy space out of play. The contestant would get one miss, but a second miss would end the game with only the consolation cash. However, landing on a 10th Whammy would net the bonus.

What would the other spaces be?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2019, 04:30:49 PM »
Honestly, if I were to attach a Bonus Game to PYL, especially if there were a syndicated version, I'd have an "eliminate the Whammy" game, whereby eliminating 10 Whammies wins a bonus prize, such as a car. (Or, if this were the 1980s version, maybe $10,000 cash.)

It'll be interesting to see what the bonus game will be here with the ABC revival.

Brian

I see where you're coming from, but I would rather use $1,000 spaces just so that the bonus round isn't contradictory to the main game.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 04:39:07 PM by tpir04 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 10:16:27 PM »
What would the other spaces be?

All I could think of is special no whammy spaces.