Author Topic: It's official! ABC has posted info on CS and PYL revivals  (Read 38314 times)

Offline tybuki

• In the Audience
Re: It's official! ABC has posted info on CS and PYL revivals
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2019, 05:15:37 PM »
Alright so rough timeline puts GSM in 2005-ish, when they had at least one piece of music--I remember they used the original closing theme for the entire PYL episode (I thought I was hearing things until that episode showed up on YouTube later on). So sometime between then and 2009 (when I imagine they were making the 2010 game), they lost the original music. Or else they lost rights to use it, one.

/I know it's a bit off-topic, but I have a hard time fathoming how either eventuality could happen.

The story with the music as I've come to believe is that the one of the reels of PYL music was damaged beyond repair some time ago, but I've also read from Terry @ TVPMM that the Carruthers family does have a reel of their own, but has declined to release it. The music that was used on Game Show Marathon was likely from the tape that a trader received from Score that has the opening, closing, and alt. opening theme. Not sure if anyone has reached out to Michel Camilo, the composer of the theme.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 01:11:47 PM »
This just in: actor Joel McHale has been confirmed as host of Card Sharks.

-----------------
April 8, 2019

ABC STACKS THE DECK WITH JOEL MCHALE AS HOST OF
‘CARD SHARKS,’ PREMIERING THIS SUMMER ON ABC

ABC Entertainment and Fremantle announced today that actor and comedian Joel McHale is set to host “Card Sharks,” the suspenseful game where a fortune can be won on the turn of a single playing card! The show is slated to air this summer on The ABC Television Network.

“I’m very excited to be hosting ‘Card Sharks,’” said Joel McHale. “Game winners can win tens of thousands of dollars and in an updated twist – losers will be fed to a pen of adult Tiger Sharks.”

The road to glory and riches begins with two players facing off in a head-to-head elimination race where the winning player claims a $10,000 cash prize and a chance to turn that amount into a life-changing payday. The anticipation builds as the winning contestant risks their prize on predicting seven final cards. The player leaves the game with whatever amount of money they have in their bank after their prediction, and results are revealed on the flip of their seventh and final card.

Joel McHale was most recently seen in “The Happy Time Murders,” as well as Netflix’s “A Futile and Stupid Gesture,” opposite Will Forte. McHale also recently hosted “The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale” on Netflix, a half-hour topical series that took a sharp, absurdist look at pop culture and news from across the globe. In 2015, McHale wrapped the 12th and final season of E! Network’s “The Soup,” in which he satirized pop culture and current events. He is best known for his starring role on the hit comedy series “Community.” Other starring feature roles include the Jerry Bruckheimer-produced, supernatural thriller “Deliver Us from Evil”; the Warner Bros’ romantic comedy “Blended,” alongside Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore; Seth MacFarlane’s comedy smash “Ted”; Steven Soderbergh’s “The Informant”; as well as “What’s Your Number?,” starring Chris Evans and Anna Faris. In 2014, McHale hosted the annual White House Correspondents’ Association dinner in Washington D.C. He also hosted “The 2015 ESPYS” on ABC. In the fall of 2016, McHale released his first book through Putnam Penguin, “Thanks for the Money: How to Use My Life Story to Become the Best Joel McHale You Can Be,” which is part memoir, part self-help guide. McHale is repped by UTA and Ziffren Brittenham LLP.

“Card Sharks” is produced by Fremantle. Scott St. John is showrunner and executive producer, and Jack Martin and Jennifer Mullin are also executive producers.
----------------
Source: http://www.gameshowforum.org/index.php/topic,30962.0.html

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2019, 01:33:26 PM »
“Game winners can win tens of thousands of dollars and in an updated twist – losers will be fed to a pen of adult Tiger Sharks.”

"Spear guns not included."
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2019, 09:18:13 PM »
Just as long as the sharks don't have lasers attached to their heads--or get swapped out for ill-tempered mutated sea bass in the case of budget cuts. 

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2019, 12:40:03 AM »
Just as long as the sharks don't have lasers attached to their heads--or get swapped out for ill-tempered mutated sea bass in the case of budget cuts.

So Henry Winkler is coming, right? :P
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• In Contestant's Row
  • Third person to ever see the new studio
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 09:35:25 AM »
Per the press release, Money Cards should be standard. I'm guessing they got the 7 from the number of cards initially dealt on the board. Technically speaking, under both classic versions, the Money Cards round goes through anywhere from 8-11 cards. But holy crap, does the $10,000 maingame winnings go into the Money Cards? If then, that's a possible six figure payout. A couple of years ago I made a rough sketch of what I think the Money Cards should look like today, based on the Eubanks/Rafferty rules. $1000 first line/+$2000 second line/Big Bet, max payout is $160,000.

Now the maingame format is a little bit more vague. All the release says is that it is a "head-to-head elimination race." I hope that they don't screw that up like they did in the '01 series. And please, no gimmicky stuff (e.g. "clip chips" or whatever that crap was) either.

Choice of host continues the recent trend of picking comedians to host game shows. Hopefully, McHale will be a fine host.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2019, 12:54:16 PM »
I like Joel McHale, but his comedy style tends to be on the cynical, snarky side--not really what makes a good game show host (unless the show in question is The Weakest Link). Hopefully he'll be able to tone it down a bit and sincerely root for the contestants.

As for PYL, although it probably won't happen, I'd really like to see Ben Bailey as host.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2019, 01:18:50 PM »
Per the press release, Money Cards should be standard. I'm guessing they got the 7 from the number of cards initially dealt on the board. Technically speaking, under both classic versions, the Money Cards round goes through anywhere from 8-11 cards. But holy crap, does the $10,000 maingame winnings go into the Money Cards? If then, that's a possible six figure payout. A couple of years ago I made a rough sketch of what I think the Money Cards should look like today, based on the Eubanks/Rafferty rules. $1000 first line/+$2000 second line/Big Bet, max payout is $160,000.

Now the maingame format is a little bit more vague. All the release says is that it is a "head-to-head elimination race." I hope that they don't screw that up like they did in the '01 series. And please, no gimmicky stuff (e.g. "clip chips" or whatever that crap was) either.

Choice of host continues the recent trend of picking comedians to host game shows. Hopefully, McHale will be a fine host.

Six figures? Unless I did my math wrong, you could win $1.28 million if you bet it all on the last card — doubling $10,000 seven times

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2019, 07:33:00 PM »
You wouldn't get the $10,000 to bet with from the first card because you need to split it between the first and second line.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2019, 08:31:08 PM »
Now the maingame format is a little bit more vague. All the release says is that it is a "head-to-head elimination race."

Well if you think about it, the main game on the original show was a head-to-head race through the cards and one player got eliminated.  So hopefully it's just weird wording from the press release and not another retooling of the format.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2019, 11:25:41 AM »
Well tonight at 4 pm Pacific, 7 pm Eastern, Stu Shostak is going to talk about this topic with the resident critics Steve Beverly and Wesley Hyatt to get their take on all of this and whether if this is a good or bad idea to have these new versions of Press Your Luck and Card Sharks on the air. Plus you guys can e-mail during the show (be brief though).

http://www.stusshow.com/
https://iframe.dacast.com/b/92970/c/447572

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2019, 02:37:04 PM »
Well tonight at 4 pm Pacific, 7 pm Eastern, Stu Shostak is going to talk about this topic with the resident critics Steve Beverly and Wesley Hyatt to get their take on all of this and whether if this is a good or bad idea to have these new versions of Press Your Luck and Card Sharks on the air. Plus you guys can e-mail during the show (be brief though).

http://www.stusshow.com/
https://iframe.dacast.com/b/92970/c/447572

Why, why, why would this be a bad thing?

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2019, 02:50:48 PM »
^If the contestants' last names aren't mentioned on the show, Steve Beverly would not be happy about that at all.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2019, 02:56:05 PM »
Why, why, why would this be a bad thing?

On Stu's Show, everything contemporary is a bad thing.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2019, 08:16:27 PM »
I tried to listen...i made it five minutes in.

So. Much. Yelling.