Author Topic: It's official! ABC has posted info on CS and PYL revivals  (Read 38311 times)

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: It's official! ABC has posted info on CS and PYL revivals
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2019, 08:43:51 PM »
Here is the full schedule including the CS and PYL revivals as they are talking about it right now:

http://buzzerblog.com/2019/04/10/abc-announces-summer-fun-games-debut-dates

They think it will be enough to renew these shows to make the network happy but not like huge ratings. Wes is slightly cautiously optimistic about the PYL revival but not so much on the CS revival, at least in his opinion.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:46:44 PM by mellongraig »

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2019, 09:11:29 AM »
Joel McHale is an interesting choice i kinda hope they stick to the game play and don't horse around too much. I just hope the Survey questions don't turn Family Feudish.

I am interested on who they have in mind for Press Your Luck.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2019, 01:52:08 PM »
I have to think it’s somewhat inevitable, assuming survey questions remain, that they’ll be at least a bit “saucier” than in the 70s and 80s. Whether it’s full-on Feud level...who knows yet.

Offline drwhovill

• In the Audience
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2019, 04:59:42 PM »
Elizabeth Banks is the new Press Your Luck host.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2019, 04:16:39 AM »
Elizabeth Banks is the new Press Your Luck host.

This has disaster written all over it. Why must they always choose actors/actresses with no hosting experience of any kind?

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2019, 04:32:22 AM »
Because they’re in the business of getting viewers.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2019, 04:33:47 AM »
Because they’re in the business of getting viewers.

I can't help but think the female power thing feeds into decisions like this too. First thing I thought of when I heard the name. Not that she can't be good mind you, but I think her gender had as much to do with it as anything did.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2019, 06:41:24 AM »
Of Feud, Pyramid, To Tell the Truth, Match Game, Card Sharks and Press Your Luck, one has a woman host. If anything, males have benefited more from gender. That’s a pretty skewed gender disparity relative to the population.

I’ve got to say I find the idea of this being some kind of “female power” thing to be preposterous. She is an accomplished and well known performer.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2019, 07:16:30 AM »
Did she have to audition or was she handed the job? If she actually had to win an audition, that gives some hope.

Being an accomplished performer does not necessarily mean you can host a game show.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2019, 10:51:03 AM »
She's also had an extensive resume behind the camera and did host a pilot for Name That Tune awhile back- and apparently was quite good. So she's more than just an "actor."

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2019, 12:33:01 PM »
She's also had an extensive resume behind the camera and did host a pilot for Name That Tune awhile back- and apparently was quite good. So she's more than just an "actor."

Patrick Wayne was also apparently quite good when he hosted a pilot (at least to Jim Lange), and look how he did on Tic Tac Dough.

She may surprise and be decent, but I am not holding my breath.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2019, 01:13:32 PM »
Did she have to audition or was she handed the job? If she actually had to win an audition, that gives some hope.

Being an accomplished performer does not necessarily mean you can host a game show.

Sure. But thus far Strahan, Harvey, Anderson and Baldwin have seen their shows run multiple seasons, just sticking with the ABC Fun and Games slate. Game shows are not some magically different, segmented genre in viewers’ eyes. Skill sets are transferable and malleable. Whether she had to beat out some indeterminate number of other people, or was a leading choice all along doesn’t really indicate results one way or another.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2019, 03:31:25 PM »
Of Feud, Pyramid, To Tell the Truth, Match Game, Card Sharks and Press Your Luck, one has a woman host. If anything, males have benefited more from gender. That’s a pretty skewed gender disparity relative to the population.

I’ve got to say I find the idea of this being some kind of “female power” thing to be preposterous. She is an accomplished and well known performer.

That's fair on the host ratio, I just know how big an issue diversity be it race or gender is in the modern world, so it's hard not to question if that's a motivation at times with decisions like this. Doesn't mean it's always the case though, can admit that. How they promote this may tell a lot to this end too, but am man enough to say that I could be wrong on this.

I didn't know either that she did a Name that Tune pilot, that offers some hope as well that this was more than a quota decision. Time will tell how good/worthy of the spot she is regardless, but it's good she does have at least one game show to her credit going into this.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2019, 04:52:51 PM »
I’m just bummed a Name That Tune didn’t make it to air. (Yeah, Beat Shazam...I know.)

Speaking of Shazam, Jamie Foxx is enthusiastic, engaging and authentic hosting. His personality, like any, may or may not work for each person, but I think it would be hard to paint him as phony or forced.

In the plus column, I haven’t seen much but positive about Strahan—and that was his first game. And while it’s a bit out there, Snoop has been enjoyable on Joker’s Wild. Whatever might be said about the content, he’s great with the contestants.

One of my personal favorites of the new crop of shows has been Anthony Anderson.

It’s all such a risk. The time period could be deadly. It could be over reliance on old games by ABC. She could be painfully awkward. The nostalgia might not translate to the 21st century. Lots can go wrong. Hopefully lots will go right.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2019, 07:33:35 PM »
Only as an anecdote and nothing more, the few people who sit near me at work know that I like games, and when I told them Press Your Luck or "The show with the whammies" was coming back this summer - they were interested enough to want to know when.  They didn't have that reaction to Match Game or $100,000 Pyramid.