Author Topic: It's official! ABC has posted info on CS and PYL revivals  (Read 38312 times)

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: It's official! ABC has posted info on CS and PYL revivals
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2019, 07:52:40 PM »
I’m just bummed a Name That Tune didn’t make it to air. (Yeah, Beat Shazam...I know.)

Music genres are so segmented now, I think it's hard to make a music-based program that can appeal to a wide audience.  Name That Tune had a few contemporary songs sprinkled in (especially the disco-friendly 70s version), but it was largely standards, showtunes, and 60s and 70s pop/rock that had become mainstream with the ascendance of Boomers.  I'm not sure what the equivalent would be today.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2019, 09:10:05 PM »
It's interesting because Beat Shazam really does span genres and eras. Mostly categories of pop/rock, sure, but it can go form classic soul to modern day pop. Clearly certain players have their strengths, but to make it all the way to the final round, you've got to have a fairly solid cross-section of musical knowledge. There are some categories where I wouldn't have a clue on a single song, and would just relay on guessing fast and hoping for the best.

Name That Tune for a modern age would probably need to dispense with the band aspect. And since the last time the show was on (Name That Video notwithstanding) was more than three decades ago, I don't see that being an issue. The one thing a show like that has going for it is shows like American Idol and The Voice tend to have their contestants cover a lot of genres, so there is some familiarity across audiences, even if a certain genre isn't their go-to choice.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2019, 10:11:44 PM »
The only host of those you mentioned who is passable is Strahan. Anderson has turned TTTT into a joke, Harvey gets old very quickly, and Baldwin is almost Ricki Lake bad when hosting Match Game. The man is way too arrogant and clearly does not care.

The ratings of all of these are not good. I don’t know if the network breaks even or makes some money, but it can’t be much, or they would try them in the fall.

I wonder what ad spots are running for these shows.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2019, 11:30:33 PM »
The ratings of all of these are not good. I don’t know if the network breaks even or makes some money, but it can’t be much, or they would try them in the fall.

Given your established dislike for anything modern or different, I challenge this. Please provide a link to some source that definitively calls the ratings for these shows "not good."

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2019, 11:41:07 PM »
Given your established dislike for anything modern or different, I challenge this. Please provide a link to some source that definitively calls the ratings for these shows "not good."
Heck, I'd just be happy in seeing the numbers themselves, period.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2019, 08:51:32 AM »
Facts matter, even today, believe it or not.  Do you think ABC would program these shows year after year if "the ratings of all of these are not good?"  TV networks aren't in the business of losing money on shows that no one watches on a regular basis.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2019, 02:34:33 PM »
Indeed.

Look, filler programming isn't going to have "This is Us" level viewership. So sure, if you're comparing top in-season shows to summer-season shows, the comparisons would look pretty ugly in most cases. But they're also the proverbial apples-to-oranges, and nothing any person with an actual stake in the business is going to pay a darned bit of attention to.

ABC in particular had a need for some relatively inexpensive, flexible programming to fill their summers. For a bunch of years things came and went, with a few snagging a second season here or there. Then they start building off Celebrity Family Feud, and find themselves with a night that's successful enough to not just come back more-or-less intact several seasons in a row, but they expand it by going back to the "classic game show" well for a couple of new shows to build a new night. In the meantime, they used Match Game as in-season filler as well, several times now.

If that's your definition of "bad," you're off the mark in terms of how the business works.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2019, 04:37:28 PM »
Last I saw numbers, these were drawing around a 1 or 1.5 share. I wonder what reruns or realty shows would draw.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2019, 04:44:11 PM »
Last I saw numbers, these were drawing around a 1 or 1.5 share. I wonder what reruns or realty shows would draw.

Link please? I'd like to see these numbers for myself.

/Obviously the network doesn't think reruns or realty shows would do reasonably better, or else that's what would be in those slots.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2019, 05:15:55 PM »
Here's a blog that has compiled ratings information from a couple of different locations. 

There's no doubt they are low compared to other shows, but the bar for cheap summer filler must be even lower.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2019, 05:31:26 PM »
Games are a form of reality TV. They fit under the networks’ unscripted umbrellas.

A 1.5 in summer is not bad at all. Summer viewing levels are low. While imperfect, consider a general analogy to Friday nights even in the regular season. Low usage night for broadcast TV. CBS generally wins the night with MacGyver/Five-O/Blue Bloods. They pull on a good night about a 1, give or take a bit. More costly with the size casts, writers, etc.

But please do keep telling us how ABC’s own executives, the people whose actual paychecks depend on such things, are clearly just renewing poorly performing shows because...why, exactly?

ABC has a sense of how their reruns perform. Some of them continue on. Their sitcoms do ok. Their dramas less so, because a good number are more serialized than procedurals. And they have holes to fill to account for Dancing/Idol.

Clearly they found a formula that works for them. The law of averages suggests sooner or later one or more of their efforts will fall flat, but that doesn’t mean the broader effort to create modern twists on classic games was a bad strategy, any more than a bomb of a sitcom means doing sitcoms is a bad idea.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2019, 06:25:58 PM »
Clearly they found a formula that works for them. The law of averages suggests sooner or later one or more of their efforts will fall flat, but that doesn’t mean the broader effort to create modern twists on classic games was a bad strategy, any more than a bomb of a sitcom means doing sitcoms is a bad idea.

Could argue that their Gong Show did since it's gone as of right now. But time will tell otherwise. Also could reach an oversaturation eventually if they aren't already there, where there's so many games but not enough slots to fit them all like was the case in the 70's and I suppose early 80's.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2019, 10:16:32 PM »
when I told them [ . . . ] "The show with the whammies" was coming back this summer - they were interested enough to want to know when.

Makes me wonder how much the phrase "No Whammies!," whether by itself or preceded by "Big Bucks!," is a recognized part of American culture.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2019, 09:30:37 PM »
It seems ABC has aired a promo that featured a glimpse of the new Card Sharks board.  Overall, I like the size of it, how they're using the 1978 logo's font for the contestant names, and that Joel appears to use a skinny mic like Jim Perry did in the original version.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 09:38:49 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Online b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2019, 04:45:58 AM »
It seems ABC has aired a promo that featured a glimpse of the new Card Sharks board.  Overall, I like the size of it, how they're using the 1978 logo's font for the contestant names, and that Joel appears to use a skinny mic like Jim Perry did in the original version.

It seems also that the contestants will have to guess more cards correctly to win a game (5 on the originals, 7 or 8 here).