Author Topic: Anyone else getting tired of Drew saying "People win this game all the time"?  (Read 5447 times)

Offline bagels

• Outside in Line
He always says this when Check Out is played and that game is NOT won all the time. In fact, it's had a good amount of losses over the last few seasons. Looking at stats on Qwizx, dating back to season 44, Check Out has been won 13 times and lost 25 times. That makes for a low winning percentage.

Hearing Drew say this has gotten old and annoying. Someone on the production team should get into his ear about this, especially when Check Out is played.

Offline IndianaPriceFan64

• In the Audience
Yes! 

Online Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
What would you have him say to a nervous contestant ?  "Good luck, only 1/3 of the people who play this actually win!" ?

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
He says it on occasion for Grand Game and It’s In The Bag too.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
Yes!
Agreed, It has become Drew's recurring joke that has gotten stake.
Jay Williams

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
Agreed, It has become Drew's recurring joke that has gotten stake.

Stake?

Offline bagels

• Outside in Line
Stake?

He clearly meant to say "stale". The K key is next to the L key.

What would you have him say to a nervous contestant ?  "Good luck, only 1/3 of the people who play this actually win!" ?

I get that Drew wants the contestant to feel at ease, but still, it has gotten old hearing him say this, especially given Check Out's win-loss record over the years. If he said something like "Don't panic! This game can be won", then I wouldn't be as annoyed.

Actually, while on the topic of Check Out, does anyone else think that game's end target should be changed just like Grocery Game's end target was? Maybe change it to $2.50 or even $3.00 if the production crew is feeling extra generous? I feel like that game has gotten much harder over the years and a change in the end target might be necessary.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
I rather hear him say that then "Bad news, your going to have to pay taxes on your new car".
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
He could just say something like "If you know the prices of these grocery items, you have a good chance of winning." or something similar.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
I rather hear him say that then "Bad news, your going to have to pay taxes on your new car".

Much agreed. It is not necessary to ruin the moment by forewarning the contestant of potentially being ripped off by the prize taxes, which are totally unnecessary.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:58:49 PM by whowouldeverhurtawhammy »
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus

To be encouraging I would hope he'd say something like: "This is a very winnable game, although it may seem difficult"
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
If they keep the prices in check out between 99 cents and $6, we will have more winners.  Contestants lose when the last item is actually $7, $8, $9.   The $2 spread easily goes out the window when you have products priced close to $10.   

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
I’d rather him say “Good luck, nobody’s won this in ages!”
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
Is it possible that in this context Drew is using "all the time" as an expression, instead of literally?

Like how people will say "How are you?" even if they're not actually interested in how the other person is doing?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
For years now he has been describing most pricing games as "easy".  The fact that you are choosing to single out Check Out...well I don't know what to say.  We're well into his 12th (right, 12th) year and Drew still hasn't got it.  And yes I try to watch every now and then, but never make it past Act 2. 

And hi ya'll.  Been awhile hasn't it?