Author Topic: Famous Bob Barker Studio vs Bob Barker Studio at CBS  (Read 4962 times)

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
Famous Bob Barker Studio vs Bob Barker Studio at CBS
« on: March 14, 2019, 12:00:42 AM »
Ok... I know you guys must have picked up on this.  They have basically replaced "CBS" with "Famous" in the intro and it's gotta mean something.  Are they planning ahead because the building was recently sold?  What are your thoughts because they don't just change up the intro from the past 10 years because they simply feel like it.  There's a reason for this.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:03:55 AM by Drew72 »
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline Mr. Weatherman

Re: Famous Bob Barker Studio vs Bob Barker Studio at CBS
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 12:20:04 AM »
The reason is CBS no longer owns the building.  That’s pretty much it.

I wasn’t even aware of the change until I saw this thread and watched today’s opening just now.  I can’t say I hate it, but if CBS is leasing the space, then it’s still technically ”the Bob Barker Studio at CBS in Hollywood.”  The old spiel was fine as-is.

Unless...

Under this new agreement, is CBS leasing the space for Price or Fremantle?  If it’s the latter, then the spiel change makes sense as CBS would have nothing to do with the production space.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 12:31:40 AM »
Apparently the deal was finalized in December and the building was sold.  I agree I don't hate it and it IS better than "From the Bob Barker Studio at Hackman Capital Partners Building in Hollywood".  But I would prefer "From the Bob Barker Studio at Television City in Hollywood".  I think most would agree.
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 12:41:02 AM »
The reason is CBS no longer owns the building.  That’s pretty much it.

Perhaps more importantly, the building is no longer named "CBS Television City."  It's just "Television City" now, and as such, the Bob Barker Studio really isn't "at CBS" anymore.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 12:43:25 AM »
But I would prefer "From the Bob Barker Studio at Television City in Hollywood".  I think most would agree.

Even then it might have to be "...Television City Studios..." as, according to the credits at least, it's Television City Studios [sorry, not sure how to make it smaller]:

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 12:45:59 AM »
But it IS at Television City as many people are familiar with.  Wish they'd incorporate that name like the syndicated
$25,000 Pyramid did in the 80s:  "From Television City in Hollywood..." 

I believe TPIR '94 did the same thing... Being syndicated they didn't want to associate themselves with CBS, but people knew the "Television City" name.

[edit] But I agree it could become redundant saying "Bob Barker Studio" and "Television City Studios" if that's the technical name now. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:56:43 AM by Drew72 »

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 01:43:41 AM »
Even then it might have to be "...Television City Studios..." as, according to the credits at least, it's Television City Studios [sorry, not sure how to make it smaller]:

The lot's website also has changed to http://televisioncityla.com, although the old cbstelevisioncity.com URL will still redirect you there.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 01:40:45 PM »
At least the Bob Barker Studio didn't get renamed.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 01:55:41 PM »
They could revise it next season as "From the Famous Bob Barker Studio at Television City in Hollywood". It would still be correct.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 02:40:49 PM »
Is the revised line George says at the beginning now being dubbed in over the former line?

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 07:17:23 PM »
It was back to the original CBS spiel on today's show.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 07:42:40 AM »
It was back to the original CBS spiel on today's show.

That suggests that they're not dubbing over George, as yesterday's show was taped about a month before the shows that aired Tuesday-Thursday. (Source: http://www.priceisright.com/calendar/)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 11:27:01 AM »
That suggests that they're not dubbing over George, as yesterday's show was taped about a month before the shows that aired Tuesday-Thursday. (Source: http://www.priceisright.com/calendar/)
Most likely not then, since if they were they would do it for every show even the ones taped before the sale.