Author Topic: My Fourth Documented PG Idea: Price War  (Read 644 times)

Offline tpir04

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Double Prices is the BEST game.
My Fourth Documented PG Idea: Price War
« on: March 24, 2019, 03:41:19 PM »
WARNING: Math, numbers and algebraic symbols ahead. Enter at thy own risk.

The game is pretty straightforward, on the surface. Five LPs are shown and described. The player is instructed to select two items for the player and two for the house. The picks for the player will be #1 and #3, for the house, #2 and #4. The idea is to structure the decisions so that in each case (#1 and #2, #3 and #4) the player's prize will be more expensive than the one for the house. The prices of #1 and #3 should not be added together, nor for #2 and #4, and here's why:

There are five prizes, labeled with letters for convenience, priced as follows:

Prize A: $2500
Prize B: $2200
Prize C: $2000
Prize D: $1800
Prize E: $1600

Suppose player picks A, C for himself and B, E for the house. If the prices for each pair are added together, the result is $4500 > $3800 and the player wins. But to give the game some spice, each member of each pair will be compared separately. This will provide an extra level of strategy regarding the importance of the order of the selections.

Scenario 1: The contestant chooses the four items in the order A, B, C, E. So A vs. B = $2500 vs. $2200 and player wins.
C vs. E = $2000 vs. $1600 and the player wins again, winning all five prizes.

Scenario B: Suppose the player selects prices in the order C, B, A, E. The player's pair has not changed, nor has the total value. But now we have C vs. B = $2000 vs. $2200 and A vs. E = $2500 vs. $1600. Instead of total victory we now have a 1 vs. 1 tie.

In case of ties, as in scenario 2, the player must price the remaining prize (prize D) within $200, high or low. If the contestant succeeds he has broken the tie and wins all five prizes.

Comment below with thoughts and suggestions, please!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 03:51:22 PM by tpir04 »
First CSS exacta: 6/3/2019

Season 15 cash earnings: $151,769
A lot of you are probably wishing I hadn't started CSS.

James Holzhauer loses on Jeopardy, 6/3/2019. I am heartbroken. Such an amazing run.

Offline tpir04

Re: My Fourth Documented PG Idea: Price War
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 04:10:37 PM »
EDIT: "Scenario B" should be "Scenario 2". Sorry.  :oops:

James Holzhauer loses on Jeopardy, 6/3/2019. I am heartbroken. Such an amazing run.

Offline gamesurf

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 01:19:10 AM »
I'm a nervous contestant standing next to Drew Carey on national TV and I'm about to play your game, which I've never seen before. My head is spinning, my blood is pumping, and I can barely remember my name. I'm incredibly nervous, there's 300 people yelling different things at me, and I'm really not focused at all right now.

Can you explain the rules for me in, like, 15 words or less?
"It's the greatest challenge in the world to invent a new game. For every one you see, every concept that is ultimately refined and developed, a dozen are worked on and not worked on, or almost worked on, or dropped because they don't read any more. We test and hammer and test and hammer...

When you finally get it down so that it looks very very simple, that one has had the most complicated amount of work." -Mark Goodson

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 05:44:53 AM »
Do you really think Drew Carey could explain this? He canít even explain the easy games.

Offline tpir04

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 08:49:17 AM »
Drew: "Alright (player), notice we have five prizes here. You're going to pick four of them, two for yourself and two for the house. What you want to do is select the prizes so that in your first two and last two choices, your prize will be more expensive than the one for the house."

The thing about the tie doesn't need to be said until it happens, kinda like what happens in Bullseye. There can even be a board to help the contestant along and Drew can point to it as needed.

If this game ended in the dumpster in your view, well, no harm done, as it can't be used on the show anyway.  :-)

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 09:38:38 AM »
The explanation here is actually pretty simple if I'm understanding the game right:

Drew: "Pick two prizes and tell me which of those is more expensive. Then pick two more prizes and tell me which of those is more expensive. If you're right both times, you win!"

I'd get rid of the tie break entirely--if the contestant can't pick the more expensive prize correctly both times, they lose. This idea could really work if you it has a good set.

Offline tpir04

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 09:56:41 AM »
See, that's one reason why I like this site: I can pitch ideas to other people and they can explain them better than I ever could. Thanks LiteBulb!

I don't know how to structure the set, though. I suppose I could use my original dueling theme. Perhaps a set like Danger Price with the LCD screen in the center? Or how about in front of the audience using the video wall at the back? Can I get some ideas?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:02:54 AM by tpir04 »

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 06:10:15 PM »
Do you really think Drew Carey could explain this? He canít even explain the easy games.

Except that he does.

Anyway, this game sounds like a complicated update to Give or Keep or even Buy or Sell. Not bad, but probably a little too complicated.