Author Topic: Your Game Show Pet Peeves  (Read 11614 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Your Game Show Pet Peeves
« on: March 25, 2019, 11:15:06 AM »
What things in game shows irk you the most? For me:

-The zero rule in Ten Chances is not observed
-A $1 bid in Contestant's Row when the low bid is under $500
-A would-be clean sweep on an easy question on Match Game but contestant blows it.

Let's hear yours!
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
Re: Your Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 01:12:30 PM »
I hate it when they don't get through all of the clues in both the Jeopardy round as well as the Double Jeopardy round in a single ep of Jeopardy
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline doctorwho

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 02:31:03 PM »
Three off the top of my head:

On Jeopardy, bad wagering where you can tell it really wasn’t thought through all that much. 

On Millionaire, walking away with a lifeline still on the table. You still have the help, why not use it? Also, it annoys me when contestants talk out loud about what they think the answer is before using Ask the Audience. That basically makes the lifeline worthless...

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 03:07:03 PM »
Spinning the Free Play wedge only to use it for an obvious vowel. Obvious consonants are fine at $500 each, then buying a vowel after that; but the more you spin, the more likely that you will BANKRUPT.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 03:39:28 PM »
Spinning the Free Play wedge only to use it for an obvious vowel.
In fairness, contestant coordinators actually encourage contestants to go for vowels on Free Play whenever possible.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 06:54:27 AM »
Card Sharks doubles rule that allowed contestants to win or lose in the main game on a duplicated card, despite there being no option to predict that. Never has seemed fair to me. And if the rumors are to be believed....based on what Tom Kennedy said in an interview he did a couple years ago, it may well be the reason he passed on doing the show when offered it. Listen to what he says here and you be the judge.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 01:36:07 PM »
On Family Feud, it would be when neither family gets the Number 1 answer on a question in the main game, and also in the Fast Money round when the first player gets more than 100 points but the second player fails to make it to 200 after five questions.

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 08:05:23 PM »
What things in game shows irk you the most? For me:

-The zero rule in Ten Chances is not observed

While I realize and respect that this entirely a personal thing,  maybe think about this one a bit.   The “Zero Rule” is not so much a  published “rule” as an internal guideline to make the game regularly winnable.    It is not immediately obvious to the average viewer.   Someone who watches the show even, say, 2 or 3 days a week might only end up seeing one or two playings of 10C in a year’s time, depending on the game rotation, or they might not see it at all.    Even if they do, the chances of them noticing that all prices specifically end in 0 would be remote.   Given that the average person who gets on stage is not a game show statistician, one can hardly fault them for believing the price can be any combination of the given numbers, especially as such is implied if not explicitly stated in the on-air rules explanations.  They aren’t being “stupid” or doing something unintuitive, they just don’t have a piece of privileged information. 

In fact, this “rule” remains one of the few real advantages that LFsAT still have should they be chosen as a contestants because of its relative obscurity.   Further, it makes the game more exciting to watch for those in the know as it builds suspense as each DIGIT is written, rather than just each price.
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 08:11:23 AM »
I hate it when they don't get through all of the clues in both the Jeopardy round as well as the Double Jeopardy round in a single ep of Jeopardy

I understand that occasionally, the clues are longer than normal even if the players are right all the time, but in particular, it's when a Daily Double remains hidden, meaning the lack of a key turning point in the game, and especially so since late in the round is when a Daily Double can be the most important.

On Wheel, it's when any contestant solves the puzzle with less than $2,000 in their bank and there are still uncovered consonants, plus it isn't a speedup or Prize Puzzle. Considering how important the Prize Puzzle round is in addition to the tossups, solving for such a modest amount isn't going to help in terms of winning one bit, and you're guaranteed $1,000 just for playing. Also, solving early during the Express and solving during the speedup without picking a letter first.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 08:45:21 AM »

While I realize and respect that this entirely a personal thing,  maybe think about this one a bit.   The “Zero Rule” is not so much a  published “rule” as an internal guideline to make the game regularly winnable.    It is not immediately obvious to the average viewer.   Someone who watches the show even, say, 2 or 3 days a week might only end up seeing one or two playings of 10C in a year’s time, depending on the game rotation, or they might not see it at all.    Even if they do, the chances of them noticing that all prices specifically end in 0 would be remote.   Given that the average person who gets on stage is not a game show statistician, one can hardly fault them for believing the price can be any combination of the given numbers, especially as such is implied if not explicitly stated in the on-air rules explanations.  They aren’t being “stupid” or doing something unintuitive, they just don’t have a piece of privileged information. 

In fact, this “rule” remains one of the few real advantages that LFsAT still have should they be chosen as a contestants because of its relative obscurity.   Further, it makes the game more exciting to watch for those in the know as it builds suspense as each DIGIT is written, rather than just each price.

I agree with everything here, but it just makes the game so much easier!
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 12:06:52 PM »
I understand that occasionally, the clues are longer than normal even if the players are right all the time, but in particular, it's when a Daily Double remains hidden, meaning the lack of a key turning point in the game, and especially so since late in the round is when a Daily Double can be the most important.

On Wheel, it's when any contestant solves the puzzle with less than $2,000 in their bank and there are still uncovered consonants, plus it isn't a speedup or Prize Puzzle. Considering how important the Prize Puzzle round is in addition to the tossups, solving for such a modest amount isn't going to help in terms of winning one bit, and you're guaranteed $1,000 just for playing. Also, solving early during the Express and solving during the speedup without picking a letter first.

Sometimes, though, contestants believe in the old "slow and steady wins the race" adage. There was -- supposedly -- at least one WoF contestant, possibly during the Woolery era, who swept the game, and solved each puzzle so quickly they were able to play (at least) five rounds ... back then an extreme rarity, even without the Bonus Round. No telling how much money he had in any of the rounds, but the fact was he won -- solving as soon as he thought he knew the puzzle -- and got to come back another day.

And remember, there were many contestants who could have continued spinning and had tens of thousands of dollars in their bank, but wisely stopped as soon as they thought they knew the puzzle. The best example I can think of was the woman who solved a puzzle with $27,500 in her bank with less than half the puzzle -- DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND OUR CONTROL -- revealed ... and won two cars. Thing was, she could have spun on and found several multiples of letters in the puzzle, and possibly built a $40,000 or $50,000 bank (and won more than half of the stated value of prizes available on that episode) ... or she could have landed on Bankrupt or Lose a Turn and someone else cashes in with just a few hundred dollars.

Brian

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 01:07:03 PM »
My biggest involves Wheel of Fortune also.  I don’t like when the contestants pick an obvious vowel, and then immediately after solve the puzzle, costing them $250.  That just seems dumb to me.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 01:40:29 PM »
Confirmation of suspicion seems reasonable when the pressure is on, perhaps? :)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 01:12:49 AM »
Confirmation of suspicion seems reasonable when the pressure is on, perhaps? :)

Seems right to me. Doesn't help that the puzzles are long and weird. In the main game, you're never going to see a Proper Name category where the answer is something simple like "JOHNNY DEPP". Instead you're going to get "OSCAR-NOMINATED COCAINE ADDICT JOHNNY DEPP".

Not to mention the caliber of the average contestant Wheel of Fortune seems to attract.

(But of course that would only apply to an average Wheel contestant, ClockGameJohn)
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 09:40:27 AM »
Oh those prize puzzles. Some days they feel like a real reach to fit the prize after so many years.

I get it--the pressure of actually being on the show, real money at stake. If you're thinking but not sure, the investment and possibly extra time to think if you're still, uh, puzzling over some other part of the answer.