Author Topic: Your Game Show Pet Peeves  (Read 11613 times)

Offline cygnusx1jg

• Outside in Line
Re: Your Game Show Pet Peeves
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2019, 12:30:04 PM »
Realize I'll catch some flak (if people read it, that is), but here goes anyway. I understand the multiple reasons it is done, but on Wheel of Fortune, when one player has 25000+ and the other two have zero, we get to the third buzz in for $3000, and the person with all the money buzzes in and solves to get the 3 grand.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2019, 02:29:32 PM »
Mine is on Scrabble when the champion doesn't get the 2 words within 10 seconds. I know of at least 1 episode where the Scrabble Sprint Jackpot was won with 1/10th of a second left.

Online Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »
Realize I'll catch some flak ...

Your wish is granted.

... I understand the multiple reasons it is done, but on Wheel of Fortune, when one player has 25000+ and the other two have zero, we get to the third buzz in for $3000, and the person with all the money buzzes in and solves to get the 3 grand.

So you're saying that the player who has won every round should, out of courtesy, back off and let someone else have a chance to win something?

Sorry, man ... if I'm simply the better player, I'm not letting up. This isn't sports -- especially high school and below, but often college as well -- where you get called out for running up the score on a hapless opponent.

Brian

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2019, 02:49:50 PM »
Your wish is granted.

So you're saying that the player who has won every round should, out of courtesy, back off and let someone else have a chance to win something?

Sorry, man ... if I'm simply the better player, I'm not letting up. This isn't sports -- especially high school and below, but often college as well -- where you get called out for running up the score on a hapless opponent.

Brian

It’s just like Holzhauer on Jeopardy!

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2019, 10:40:46 PM »
Realize I'll catch some flak (if people read it, that is), but here goes anyway. I understand the multiple reasons it is done, but on Wheel of Fortune, when one player has 25000+ and the other two have zero, we get to the third buzz in for $3000, and the person with all the money buzzes in and solves to get the 3 grand.

I agree with the others.  The idea of going on a game show is to win and win big.  You're not there to "be nice."  Otherwise, contestants on TPIR would be forbidden from outbidding another contestant by $1.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.