Author Topic: The new season of Catch 21 = blah  (Read 3192 times)

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
The new season of Catch 21 = blah
« on: October 29, 2019, 08:56:48 AM »
I was excited that CATCH 21 was returning to GSN.  But, by gosh, what's happened to it?

* Alfonso Ribeiro doesn't have the oomph he did on the previous version
* Where's Mikki?  (Please don't say somebody decided she was too old ...)
* Why is the audience largely invisible? 

The whole show feels cold, sterile and devoid of energy.  New set is flat, too. 

This is all especially obvious when you compare it with the also-airing-daily episodes of the old version.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: The new season of Catch 21 = blah
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 09:19:18 AM »
Huh, had no idea a new Catch 21 was airing on GSN. I guess I'll have to check it out.

Also, BIG mistake airing it alongside the previous version. The superior of the two will be noticed quite quickly, and if it's worse than the original, it won't last long.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline dagdoggnh

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 11:32:01 AM »
* Where's Mikki?  (Please don't say somebody decided she was too old ...)

I think she asked them not to bring her back.  Witney Carson, the new dealer, was Alfonso's partner on "Dancing with the Stars".

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 07:42:16 PM »
I guess i enjoy this version more than the old one.

I like the new theme song and set.
Alfonso Ribeiro is a good host when he tones it down. He was kinda annoying on the old version.
I miss Nikki but i like Witney.
The contestants from what i seen don't look like they are from Central Casting they look realistic.

I don't like how Alfonso has to wait for the question to be revealed and he looks awkward standing there reading from a cue card.

Online WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 10:19:36 PM »
Yeah... I've been watching the new version and while it's passable, it feels inferior overall.  I could do without the forced dancing between Alfonso and Witney at the beginning of the episodes.  I'm torn on whether not having multiple choice is better or worse but I'm not a fan of not being able to ring in until Alfonso's finished reading the question now. 

The removal of the scoring system is another thing that kind of bugs me but kind of doesn't — I feel like number of questions answered is a good first tiebreaker if one player wins the first two rounds, although I suppose in the old system if a lot of low cards made the game run long enough somebody could theoretically win one of the first rounds and still not advance (did that ever actually happen?)

My biggest gripes would be with the removal of the prize for getting the first 21 of the game and the extremely bland/generic graphics package compared to the original.  If there's one thing I irrationally like about the new show though, it's Witney dropping the cards into slots over each hand a la Scrabble tiles.   :biggrin: