Author Topic: Jeopardy! reportedly searching for a new host  (Read 6472 times)

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
Jeopardy! reportedly searching for a new host
« on: April 04, 2019, 06:08:36 PM »
  I was reading on several webpages today including Screen Gant and Radio Online that the folks at Jeopardy! are reportedly expedited the search for a replacement host for Alex Trebek because of Trebek's pancreatic cancer situation, despite that Mr. Trebek has three years left on his contract but, the show, Sony Television and CBS is not taking any chances due to Trebek's poor health. For suggestions of a new Jeopardy! host, here are my list of possibilities:
   Tom Bergeron - my first choice and popular host of Dancing with the Stars on ABC and previously hosted AFV and Hollywood Squares;
    Dan Patrick - longtime sports anchor who hosted Sports Jeopardy!;
    Brad Rutter - my second pick, actor and tv host himself who was a five time champ on the show and won five tournaments on Jeopardy!;
     Alex Faust - play by play announcer for the Los Angeles Kings and one of Alex Trebek's top choices for his successor;
     Todd Newton - host of several game shows in the last twenty years and former E channel host, which would finally give him a boost in his career after missing out on the TPIR hosting gig 12 years ago;
     Mark L Wahlberg - also hosted several game shows in the past almost three decades and currently host of Antiques Roadshow and Temptation Island.

Those are my choices, who do you think should replace Alex Trebek onJeopardy!.
Jay Williams

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: Jeopardy! reportedly searching for a new host
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 06:27:00 PM »
I like Tom Bergeron.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 06:27:59 PM »
I just did a Google search and I didn't see any corroborating results from sources that I'd consider legitimate and credible. Every result I did see looked like fake news.

Beyond that...am I the only one who thinks this is wildly inappropriate? Alex just announced publicly that he has a life-threatening illness...and we're speculating about his employer potentially going behind his back to find a replacement, when Alex himself promised to be open and transparent to prevent exactly this type of thing?

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 07:00:37 PM »
Radar Online is nothing but garbage. I'm shocked they're allowed to stay around and spread slander.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 07:51:33 PM »
I just did a Google search and I didn't see any corroborating results from sources that I'd consider legitimate and credible. Every result I did see looked like fake news.

Beyond that...am I the only one who thinks this is wildly inappropriate? Alex just announced publicly that he has a life-threatening illness...and we're speculating about his employer potentially going behind his back to find a replacement, when Alex himself promised to be open and transparent to prevent exactly this type of thing?
ThomHuge, I found this reported on the web pages of TV.com and TVInsider for confirmation, but neither one mentioned any possible replacement names.
Jay Williams

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 07:58:16 PM »
ThomHuge, I found this reported on the web pages of TV.com and TVInsider for confirmation, but neither one mentioned any possible replacement names.

Neither of those are what I'd call credible.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 08:11:33 PM »
Seriously, I feel dirty for giving these “sources” clicks.

The one source is one guy’s podcast, known for other “scoops” like “Shawn Mendes and Justin Bieber’s Underwear War”.

Rule #1 of journalism: if you can’t get two credible, independent sources to verify the story, you don’t run the story.

Also the “source” article is full of errors and conjecture
Quote from: Crappy article not worth being dignified with a link
As beloved gameshow host Alex Trebek continues to struggle with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, the network that has been his home for 30 years is cooking up a plan to replace him.

Lol which network would that be? Did the authors do any research at all as to who airs the show?

This looks like a case of every reputable outlet going “not credible” until some tabloid goes LEROY JENKINS and forces out an article as quickly as they can, giving the rest of the clickbaitosphere license to play catch-up until the story gets retracted or dies

But yeah, this is gross and exploitative.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 08:15:38 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 08:19:10 PM »
and you wonder why Trebek did the announcement himself rather than let the news do it first

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 08:37:29 PM »
I'd like to apologize for responding to this. Not being familiar with the sources in question, I assumed they were legitimate. I hope Alex continues as host for a long time to come.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 08:48:08 PM »
Nothing to apologize for—it’s just a lesson learned about credible sources and critically evaluating info. Good for all of us to learn it, especially in a world where we’re constantly being flooded with more and more sensational articles fighting for clicks and attention.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 09:07:22 PM »
Didn't we just go through this type of thing about a month ago, except it was about Card Sharks?

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 11:48:17 PM »
To me, this is not news and they have already talked about it for a couple of years now. I do hope that whoever gets picked to be the replacement that the gameplay stays the same.

Offline geniusinmath

• Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 04:11:47 AM »
To me, this is not news and they have already talked about it for a couple of years now. I do hope that whoever gets picked to be the replacement that the gameplay stays the same.
You and me both.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 07:05:58 AM »
Neither of those are what I'd call credible.
So what you are telling me that where I found this article was on tabloid webpages including tv.com, tv insider and screen rant. I just looked for confirmation about this on game show news net and buzzer blog and both reported nothing about this.
Jay Williams

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 08:44:56 AM »
Here's a tip on credible sources: If the vast majority of people haven't heard of the website, don't mention it yourself. Let me explain. Screen Rant, tv. com and tv insider are all little known sources. But who hasn't heard of WSJ, The New York Times, Fox News, CNN, Associated Press, etc. In sum, wait for the sources that have a larger following. Only then is the information more likely to be true.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!