Author Topic: Press Your Luck thoughts (about the original)  (Read 7473 times)

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Press Your Luck thoughts (about the original)
« on: April 11, 2019, 04:40:09 AM »
I have no idea why, but the opening to PYL in the 80s was so cool!!! I loved the opening part where various moments are shown, with a final clip declaring the winner from a previous episode, then the opening spiel (love the lights moving down one row after another) "Today, these three player are after BIIIIIIIIIG BUCKS, but they'll have to avoid THE WHAMMY as they play THE MOST EXCITING GAME OF THEIR LIVES!!!" (then the board fills up) "From TELEVISION CITY IN HOLLYWOOD, IT'S TIME TO PRESS YOUR LUCK!!!" (at this point the background lights surrounding the big board change from red to purple to finally blue and a 'box-in transition effect is shown as the words "Press Your Luck" light up one after another) "And now here's your host, THE STAR of PRESS YOUR LUCK, PETER TOMARKEN!!!!" (the whole opening was so awesome)

I noticed in later episodes there'd be some cool things that happen right before the commercials. For example in episode #488 as they get ready for commercial, the lights surrounding the big board go back to red (started at blue, then purple, then red) and there's a cool lighting effect as the board loads for the first round and the turntable turns and while all this is happening, the lights above the players are off, but when the turntable stops, the lights fade on. When the commercials are over, the jig camera moves up from the back of where the contestants are sitting and the red lights outside of the big board are alternating!!! After the first big board round, as they get ready for the next commercial, as the turntable spins, the lights above the contestants fade to off, so now, only the scores are shown after the 1st big board round. And another neat thing is that they use a 'box-in' to show a poem from someone for the whammy, and then they do a 'box-out' transition effect so that the jig camera can zoom into the logo in the center of the big board!

After they come back from commercial, the red lights surrounding the big board are still flashing!! Then the lights that surround the outside of the big board 'fill in' from opposite sides. The bottom one fills down from the top, while the top one fills up from the bottom, and to end the transition, the lights above the players fade on!!!! (I love all these effects, however subtle they might be to anyone else)

I noticed that sometimes the outside red lights surrounding the big board would be alternating as they were getting ready to play the big board round.

What are your favorite moments on the show (besides the episodes with Mr. Larson)?

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Press Your Luck thoughts (about the original)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 09:58:47 AM »
Sometimes, when they come back from commercial break for the second big board round, they would zoom out of the $3,000/$4,000/$5,000 + one spin space and reveal the contestants looking at the big board from behind. I thought that was pretty cool.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 12:05:55 PM »
I always thought it was cool when the jig camera would move down to reveal the Press Your Luck logo on the back of the turntable as they were going to commercial (can't remember if it was before or after either one of the question or big board rounds)

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 01:01:43 PM »
I always thought it was cool when the jig camera would move down to reveal the Press Your Luck logo on the back of the turntable as they were going to commercial (can't remember if it was before or after either one of the question or big board rounds)

It’s after the question rounds, primarily the first. As the show went on, the camera view would be as if I was standing in front of the Big Board, after the second round.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 03:09:01 PM »
Does anybody know if there are any photos of how things looked behind the board?  I've seen a couple of photos taken from the audience in Studio 33, but nothing from behind.  It would be fascinating to see how they managed to squeeze 36 slide projectors and two pedestal cameras back there, along with all the attendant wiring.

Press Your Luck was produced before jibs were really a thing.  They used a full-sized camera crane, like a few other CBS game shows of the era.  Saturday Night Live is basically the only show on TV that still does.

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 05:27:22 PM »
All three years of PYL's run produced so many magical moments, I think.

All of the big wins post-Larsen were fun to watch, especially another Michael in 1986 winning $33K despite three whammies. :D This show was the epitome of excitement and instant gratification- much like a scratch ticket.

To me, the Whammies and the exciting contestants (who acted like they were there to have the most freakin' exciting time of their lives) made the show an experience to cherish. :D

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 08:36:02 PM »
Having kindergarten classes in the afternoons between the fall of 1983 and the summer of 1985 meant I got to stay home in the mornings and watch all the game shows, PYL was one of my favorites.  My parents often told me that I always cheered for the Whammies, they still make me laugh even over 30 years on
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 08:38:57 AM »
The Jim Hess episode stands out.

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 09:05:06 AM »
Does anybody know if there are any photos of how things looked behind the board?  I've seen a couple of photos taken from the audience in Studio 33, but nothing from behind.

Andrew, do you have any of those photos taken of the set from the audience section? I have searched the internet and could never find any.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 05:37:52 PM »
Quote from: someguy23475
The Jim Hess episode stands out.

For those of us who have no clue what you're talking about, can you please elaborate?

I googled it trying to find the answer myself, and all I found was the guy who "discovered" Tony Romo.  Pretty sure it's not the same guy...
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 06:03:01 PM »
For those of us who have no clue what you're talking about, can you please elaborate?
Jim Hess was a contestant who, after Whammying on the final spin of the game, dropped an F-bomb on the air.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 07:43:25 PM »
do you have any of those photos taken of the set from the audience section?

There is one at the top of this page: https://gameshows.fandom.com/wiki/Press_Your_Luck/Sets

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 07:52:36 PM »
There is one at the top of this page: https://gameshows.fandom.com/wiki/Press_Your_Luck/Sets
*sees "3D rendered pictures of the original set" gallery* man, I'd forgotten what a cesspool parts of that site can be. UGH.

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 10:02:42 AM »

Thank you! This photo appears to be taken when shooting was done in Studio 33. Most of the time they were in either Studios 31 or 41 weren't they?
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 12:44:55 AM »
Most of the time they were in either Studios 31 or 41 weren't they?

As far as I know, they never did any episodes in Studio 31. They were usually in 41, but occasionally 33. It’s easy to tell which studio an episode is in by looking at the audience. Their silhouettes are prominent in 41. But in 33, you can barely see the audience at all.