Author Topic: How many episodes approximately in each year (calender) does Price air?  (Read 4118 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Been thinking about this of late some in part based on a YT comment I saw mentioning 200+ shows a year, and was curious, would it be really over 200 with reruns in summer or a little under? I tend to think slightly under but maybe that's wrong.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Most places I've seen list 190 shows a year for each year Drew's been there. And I think, for the final years of Bob's tenure, he was doing 175 a year.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Most places I've seen list 190 shows a year for each year Drew's been there. And I think, for the final years of Bob's tenure, he was doing 175 a year.

You're assuming I mean on a season by season basis aren't you? I don't mean that. I know it was 175 in Bob's final years on that (although thought it was still at that now), I meant for a full calendar year, ie: the entirety of 2018 for example, or 1995, etc. Those counts I think would be different from what the season counts are, to whatever degree. But I could be wrong.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
A typical calendar year has 260 weekdays (52 weeks * 5 weekdays/week.) Now since a year actually has 52 weeks and 1 day, a calendar year could have 261 weekdays or even 262 weekdays if it's a leap year. I believe there are 4 days a year when Price is preempted: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the Thursday and Friday of the first weekend of the NCAA men's basketball tournament. Thus, there are between 256 and 258 (inclusive) episodes of Price shown a year, including reruns.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
A typical calendar year has 260 weekdays (52 weeks * 5 weekdays/week.) Now since a year actually has 52 weeks and 1 day, a calendar year could have 261 weekdays or even 262 weekdays if it's a leap year. I believe there are 4 days a year when Price is preempted: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the Thursday and Friday of the first weekend of the NCAA men's basketball tournament. Thus, there are between 256 and 258 (inclusive) episodes of Price shown a year, including reruns.
Reruns do air the Thursday and Friday of the first weekend of the NCAA men's tournament, at least on my affiliate.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
Reruns do air the Thursday and Friday of the first weekend of the NCAA men's tournament, at least on my affiliate.

Same here, with the station I watch in Washington state.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
And minus some planned (and of course, breaking) news interruptions that vary year to year, but seem somewhat inevitable to factor into the equation.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner

I meant without (shoulda specified my bad on that), so I'm thinking the number would be what......210ish new roughly? Christmas usually sees a first run show BTW, although some years have had reruns.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 02:55:31 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline WeTryHarder

• Outside in Line
I meant without [reruns]...

Then the answer is roughly 190 new episodes per calendar year - there’s 1 season annually, and they’ve taped 190 episodes per season for years now. 

I say roughly because sach season is bisected at around the same point by the change in calendar year.  The episode count number in the season that this happens at varies because the calendar date where premiere week begins varies, along with other factors like preempted episodes that get pushed into the following calendar year - so one year may have something like 188 new episodes aired and the next may have 192.  But it all averages out to 190 over the course of several years.

Of course this only takes into account the daytime series, not any primetime specials.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Then the answer is roughly 190 new episodes per calendar year - there’s 1 season annually, and they’ve taped 190 episodes per season for years now. 

I say roughly because sach season is bisected at around the same point by the change in calendar year.  The episode count number in the season that this happens at varies because the calendar date where premiere week begins varies, along with other factors like preempted episodes that get pushed into the following calendar year - so one year may have something like 188 new episodes aired and the next may have 192.  But it all averages out to 190 over the course of several years.

Of course this only takes into account the daytime series, not any primetime specials.

Again...that wasn't what I was asking, I meant for an actual YEAR, not a season which falls under two years (September of one till June of the next). I'm guessing based on summer reruns it'd probably be around 210, but not for certain.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: How many episodes approximately in each year (calender) does Price air?
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 09:53:14 PM »
Again...that wasn't what I was asking, I meant for an actual YEAR, not a season which falls under two years (September of one till June of the next). I'm guessing based on summer reruns it'd probably be around 210, but not for certain.

IT'S NOT FREAKING 210 EPISODES.

Your logic here makes absolutely no sense.  Given that each season is laid out more or less the same way, the answer would have to be about the same as the number of shows in a season -- 190, give or take a few.  It sure as hell isn't going to differ by four weeks.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 10:18:37 PM »

Think of it this way: If there are 190 episodes in a season, if there are somehow 210 episodes in a year due to a whole bunch of rescheduled episodes, that would mean another year would have around 170 episodes. Changing the reference of time shouldn't change the number of episodes.

Here's another way of thinking about it: How many more Saturdays were there from April 1, 1883 to March 31, 1884, inclusive, as compared to 2018? At most, just one, as Saturdays are still arranged the same way.

It isn't going to be close to 210, but I could see an argument due to preemptions for potentially 195.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 10:59:01 PM »
In the early years when the show was a half hour, that does not include Thanksgiving or New Year's Day, there would be around 250 episodes. However the syndicated version was also on at that time and had 39 episodes each, so it jumps up to around 290 give or take a few.

Once the summer reruns started kicking in, the number went down to around 210 or so except for Season 6 where it was roughly 225, if counting the syndicated episodes (which was down to 35 from Seasons 6-8) it would be around 250-260 per year.

The syndicated Tom Kennedy version may be questionable as some episodes are part of Season 13's production year (prior to late May 1985 tapings) where many other episodes fell into the Season 14 category. It is hard to tell an accurate episode count for both seasons but definitely over 200 episodes each for Season 13 and 14 (as a whole) counting the nighttime show.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 11:16:01 PM »
IT'S NOT FREAKING 210 EPISODES.

Your logic here makes absolutely no sense.  Given that each season is laid out more or less the same way, the answer would have to be about the same as the number of shows in a season -- 190, give or take a few.  It sure as hell isn't going to differ by four weeks.

Yeah I guess that's right thinking again here, got the months all messed up in separating seasons and actual years, but you're right it would have to be the same roughly. Mea culpa on my part.