Author Topic: Chances of Prime Time Specials Again?  (Read 12313 times)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Chances of Prime Time Specials Again?
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2019, 04:34:56 AM »
Relying on Ellen's Game of Games, a good-natured show that isn't so much about humiliation as people playing along and having a good time, to paint with such a broad is a bit misleading. Pyramid, Match Game (though less about the game and more about the celebrity comedy just as it always was), presumably Card Sharks & Press Your Luck, Wheel of Fortune, Deal or No Deal, The Wall, Beat Shazam...they're not reliant upon humiliating players. Ellen's show seems a bit more of a souped up descendant of the Beat the Clock era. And they're all game shows by any reasonable definition.

Yes, graphics and tech matter today. They mattered before, but technology and expectations have evolved. That's true across many forms of entertainment, and isn't some great commentary on society "dumbing down." Set aside games for a moment--let's not pretend shows like "My Mother the Car" back in day were intellectual masterpieces. (Meanwhile, Masterpiece on PBS continues--it wasn't that long ago people were gaga for Downton Abbey, while HBO's Game of Thrones is a dense and skillfully written/produced, and arguably cerebral, show that is hardly "dumb.")

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2019, 11:01:32 AM »
Yes, Ellen's Game of Games is silly, but that's ok.  It reminds me of a Beat the Clock/Double Dare sort of hybrid which is kinda fun. I think "games shows" can fall across a wide spectrum with something for everyone.  That being said, I think there is still a place for some summertime Price is Right Primetime specials. It's not like CBS has a lot of superior "new" ideas.  I mean... they air things like MacGyver and Magnum PI which are based on 30 year old shows!    :D
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2019, 11:56:26 AM »
SWAT...Magnum....Hawaii Five O...McGyver. Yeah, CBS does enjoy the retro trend. :)

That said, they’ve largely filled their “non-scripted” needs in the summer with Big Brother. Heck, I think they might throw Undercover Boss in there sometimes too. Totally true that CBS is in a different position in that they have daytime games, but as a general principle the prime time business units aren’t looking to the daytime units as a sort of “utility belt.” ABC hasn’t, that I can remember, regularly scheduled prime time episodes of the View (even to fill in for, say, the dreadful performance of the Alec Baldwin talk show).

It’s reasonable for CBS to look at their schedule and say they’re feeling like added Price, at this time based on current circumstances, isn’t where they need to invest.

And as we all know, circumstances change. Give it time...who knows where we’ll be in the future.

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2019, 03:43:38 PM »
Speaking of, I can't believe Undercover Boss is still on the air. How do people keep falling for this? The moment you see a camera crew and a "new employee", you should know what's up.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2019, 08:07:22 PM »
How do people keep falling for this?
Never underestimate stupidity.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2019, 08:44:43 PM »
No real need to insult people. Even the most popular shows aren’t watched by large swaths of the public. There are a multitude of reality shows, which creates plausible cover stories. Some folks have figured it out, and it’s been included in the series.

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2019, 11:37:12 AM »
Wasn't there a rumor when the last prime time specials aired that we wouldn't be seeing anymore because Drew simply didn't want to do them?
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.