Poll

What would you bid?

$699
6 (26.1%)
$1
17 (73.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: One-Bid Dilemma  (Read 3363 times)

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
One-Bid Dilemma
« on: April 15, 2019, 01:56:34 PM »
Scenario: the person (3rd to bid) before you bids $700 (everyone else over $701). You have seen the item on the show before and are almost positive the price is $699. Do you bid $699 and try to win the $500 cash but risk overbidding, or do you bid $1 and take the guaranteed trip up on stage?

(Note: this would be more common in the Roger era than today.)

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: One-Bid Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 02:00:59 PM »
$1. The prize on stage I'd be playing for is going to be worth much more than $500, so it's not worth the risk that the one bid is $698 for whatever reason that day.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 02:13:19 PM »
$1. It's impossible to think straight in the studio, the odds that I might make an error and misremember a prize are too high.
In that situation I couldn't blame anybody for being unable to answer "what's your name and what do you do" right.

$500 and some cred among my friends is nice, but my real dream is to get to play a pricing game.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »
Neither. I bid $500, since that's the bare minimum an IUFB can be nowadays, and there is a very slim chance that the price is $500.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline SilverFirePrime

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Can this be ressurected next?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 04:35:27 PM »
$1

To me, the chance to play a pricing game - even for a quickie for a prize package I might not even end up accepting - is worth way, way more than $500.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 09:08:30 PM »
Neither. I bid $500, since that's the bare minimum an IUFB can be nowadays, and there is a very slim chance that the price is $500.

Bidding $1 is the ultimate flex though. It's not just strategy, it's also a taunt.

You're saying to your opponents, on national TV, "I'm so confident your bid was wrong, I'm going to bid something impossible, and I still think I'm gonna come out ahead."

$500 is nice, but THAT experience is definitely worth something too :-)
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 12:00:01 PM »
I would bid $1 just to guarantee getting on stage. Bidding $699 after someone bid $700 is just too risky.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 09:08:39 PM »
I would argue that a $1 bid is never correct strategy unless you are 100% all of the other bids are over. Does anyone else agree?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 10:50:25 PM »
You're right that pure strategy dictates you should only and always 1-up somebody if you're the 4th bidder, cause if you're wrong and everyone went over you'll get another chance to bid again.

But there's way more than pure strategy at play here. Maybe I'm sharing the row with a sweet old grandmother, and I can't bring myself to 1-up her on national TV when I'm gonna have to justify to all my real-life friends why I saw fit to throw Ethel under the bus.

On the flip side, if I'm in a position where I can confidently bid $1, I'm framing that photo and putting it on my wall. 50 years from now I'm gonna be telling my grandkids about the time I bid $1 on The Price is Right. It's the ultimate flex. After all, it's not MY fault everyone else went over.

Maybe you have a good reason for not wanting to go into extra bidding rounds. Maybe you don't want to give the other three contestants a chance to get their bearings straight and think things over one more time.

Or suppose it's 2005. The show's done live-to-tape. It's the 6th game. They haven't played a car game yet. If you 1-up, you know Bob will get annoyed and hurry you all into bidding again very quickly, and the winner will get 45 seconds less to play for a car.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 11:29:26 PM »
The third bidder often gets too frustrated when the final bidder $1-ups them. If the 1-upper is correct, the third bidder will now be the final bidder on the next IUFB.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 11:31:26 PM »
You're right that pure strategy dictates you should only and always 1-up somebody if you're the 4th bidder, cause if you're wrong and everyone went over you'll get another chance to bid again.

But there's way more than pure strategy at play here. Maybe I'm sharing the row with a sweet old grandmother, and I can't bring myself to 1-up her on national TV when I'm gonna have to justify to all my real-life friends why I saw fit to throw Ethel under the bus.

On the flip side, if I'm in a position where I can confidently bid $1, I'm framing that photo and putting it on my wall. 50 years from now I'm gonna be telling my grandkids about the time I bid $1 on The Price is Right. It's the ultimate flex. After all, it's not MY fault everyone else went over.

Maybe you have a good reason for not wanting to go into extra bidding rounds. Maybe you don't want to give the other three contestants a chance to get their bearings straight and think things over one more time.

Or suppose it's 2005. The show's done live-to-tape. It's the 6th game. They haven't played a car game yet. If you 1-up, you know Bob will get annoyed and hurry you all into bidding again very quickly, and the winner will get 45 seconds less to play for a car.

you misunderstood I think, it's about going $1 UNDER, not over here

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 11:34:26 PM »
you misunderstood I think, it's about going $1 UNDER, not over here
Yes, I was not replying to the original post.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 07:26:04 AM »
I would bid $1, if only because I wouldn't want to get buzzed and therefore be required to bid again. Of course, unless you're the last bidder, the next one in line could say $2 or anything less than $100.