Author Topic: Jeopardy! (04/17/19)  (Read 3717 times)

Offline ooboh

• Walking the Golden Road
Jeopardy! (04/17/19)
« on: April 17, 2019, 09:12:29 PM »
https://youtu.be/4_Q326coQiw

Good grief.

Not trying to jinx him, but James is on pace to better Ken Jennings’ $2.52 million mark in a total of 37 appearances.

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Jeopardy! (04/17/19)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 11:00:39 PM »
Not trying to jinx him,

I wouldn't mind, he's not my favorite game show contestant in recent memory.

He has the wagering strategy on a lock, respect for that. But he's also a showboater with something to prove. A smug pro gambler showing off his ability to "beat the system" might be a fun storyline on some shows, but Jeopardy isn't one of them.

James is on pace to better Ken Jennings’ $2.52 million mark in a total of 37 appearances.

If he can last that long. Players that live by the Daily Doubles die by the Daily Doubles.
Quote from: Mark Goodson
"It's the greatest challenge in the world to invent a new game. For every one you see, every concept that is ultimately refined and developed, a dozen are worked on and not worked on, or almost worked on, or dropped because they don't read any more. We test and hammer and test and hammer...

When you finally get it down so that it looks very very simple, that one has had the most complicated amount of work."

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline GSNSmashFan3

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My game show collection.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 11:35:32 PM »
If he can last that long. Players that live by the Daily Doubles die by the Daily Doubles.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this. He's racking up extremely high one-day totals with his high-risk, high-reward play style, and he definitely has an above-average level of knowledge, but with that kind of strategy, all it takes is one mistake to get stomped out of the game. I don't see him winning more than 20 games.
HYO Winnings:
$46,241.21 (Participated in 6 games; on stage 4 times)

I love Clock Game!

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 12:32:32 AM »
A smug pro gambler showing off his ability to "beat the system" might be a fun storyline on some shows, but Jeopardy isn't one of them.

He has an unorthodox strategy, but he also has, as Ken Jennings recently tweeted, "the skills to back it up."  I wouldn't call that beating the system.  It's not just about going all-in on two or three Daily Doubles and getting lucky.  He starts out with all the $1,000 clues, which is a great way to get into the hole early if you're not a top-flight trivia player.

...with that kind of strategy, all it takes is one mistake to get stomped out of the game. I don't see him winning more than 20 games.

All but one of his games have been runaways.  He's found most of the Daily Doubles, and I believe only missed one of them so far.  When he did miss it, he made it all back and then some by the end of the round.

While I'm sure James is not the Jeopardy! producers' ideal notion of a franchise contestant (not personable like Jennings or wackadoodle like Buzzy Cohen), there's no "trick" in the way he's winning the games.  Just sound strategy built around his own strengths.

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 01:43:23 AM »
He has an unorthodox strategy, but he also has, as Ken Jennings recently tweeted, "the skills to back it up."  I wouldn't call that beating the system.  It's not just about going all-in on two or three Daily Doubles and getting lucky.  He starts out with all the $1,000 clues, which is a great way to get into the hole early if you're not a top-flight trivia player.

All but one of his games have been runaways.  He's found most of the Daily Doubles, and I believe only missed one of them so far.  When he did miss it, he made it all back and then some by the end of the round.

While I'm sure James is not the Jeopardy! producers' ideal notion of a franchise contestant (not personable like Jennings or wackadoodle like Buzzy Cohen), there's no "trick" in the way he's winning the games.  Just sound strategy built around his own strengths.

He's definitely not doing something your ordinary pro gambler could do. Though it's safe to assume that EVERY Jeopardy! contestant is a top-flight trivia player--if they weren't, they would never make the show, cause that contestant quiz is no joke--making it there sure ain't easy, and he does deserve credit. It's rare to find somebody who fits in BOTH pools, and that's remarkable and deserves respect.

But when it comes down to it, I just don't like his personality. Things like the "birthday shoutout" wagers and the "cute" FJ responses make me think his ultimate goal is to maximize the media attention he gets, and that rubs me the wrong way. So does setting up a personal facebook fan club to hype each of his achievements as they air. I get we live in a social media world everybody's got to hype their 15 minutes as much as they can to parry those skills into other spheres, but he strikes me as several degrees more self-absorbed than most champs.

I probably wouldn't mind seeing him in action on something like Card Sharks. He just isn't my favorite Jeopardy! player.
"It's the greatest challenge in the world to invent a new game. For every one you see, every concept that is ultimately refined and developed, a dozen are worked on and not worked on, or almost worked on, or dropped because they don't read any more. We test and hammer and test and hammer...

When you finally get it down so that it looks very very simple, that one has had the most complicated amount of work."

"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 09:04:08 AM »
I’ve been amazed watching this run. To think one person now owns the top four one-day tallies is simply remarkable. I’m enjoying every moment of it—a master class in how the game is played. Though perhaps the producers are a bit less thrilled at those payouts.  :D

Even just as an exhibition, seeing James, Brad and Ken battle would be riveting.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • An Actual Sweep Total
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 11:34:06 AM »
Makes me wonder if Jeopardy’s going to change the rules in the same vein Arthur Chu did with wagering for the tie.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline pricefan18

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 11:52:29 AM »
Makes me wonder if Jeopardy’s going to change the rules in the same vein Arthur Chu did with wagering for the tie.

How would they do that without breaking the game in effect? A tie game thing is different from this.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 12:41:13 PM »
I don’t see any reason such a thing would happen. James is a rare, rare case. There is no need to change any rules based on his run.

On the other hand, there might be a need to buy the staff accountants an extra drink...or three.

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 01:15:41 PM »
Nah, they aren't going to change the rules.  They might revert to the Fleming-era clue values once the budget is exhausted though.    :P

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 04:56:40 PM »
On the other hand, there might be a need to buy the staff accountants an extra drink...or three.

Or, as they call them in Culver City, "potent potables."

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 05:17:38 PM »
Not trying to jinx him, but James is on pace to better Ken Jennings’ $2.52 million mark in a total of 37 appearances.

Nah.

Jeopardy! isn't budgeted to keep giving away an average of nearly $70,000 per episode. In a couple of weeks, regardless of whether James is still there, I'm expecting the Final Jeopardy! clues to become a lot more difficult.

If he's still champion at that time, then either he'll start losing a lot of money at the end of the game or he'll catch on and begin to hold back on his wagers. Either way, it'll take him a while to get near the record.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Criminal copyright infringement, including infringement without monetary gain, is investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to 5 years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000.

Offline mechamind

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Looking for the next hug winner.
    • Mechamind Boards
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 07:46:58 PM »
Nah.

Jeopardy! isn't budgeted to keep giving away an average of nearly $70,000 per episode. In a couple of weeks, regardless of whether James is still there, I'm expecting the Final Jeopardy! clues to become a lot more difficult.

Nah, the real budget is in making some of the regular clues more obscure and placing the Daily Doubles in those ones. Probably the end of Celebrity Jeopardy! too...

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 11:40:25 PM »

They've gotta do what they've gotta do, but as a rule, the show hates it when all of the contestants (and probably most of the home audience) are repeatedly stumped by clues.  That's bad TV.

There's quite a bit of flab built in to the production that could be used to absorb overages.  Maybe they do fewer out-of-town audition cities.  Drop a planned road show.  Fewer Clue Crew excursions.  Delay a set/music refresh.  All better options than making the game boring for everybody (and appearing to punish a contestant's success).

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 12:46:18 AM »
They've gotta do what they've gotta do, but as a rule, the show hates it when all of the contestants (and probably most of the home audience) are repeatedly stumped by clues.  That's bad TV.

If they were to to that, it'd just be a few clues per episode...and I think they could get away with it pretty easily, since Daily Doubles & FJ are supposed to be perceived as difficult. Just raising the difficulty of, like one DJ Daily Double & FJ would stop any crazy runs. That leaves 59 clues that don't need to stump people.

There's quite a bit of flab built in to the production that could be used to absorb overages.  Maybe they do fewer out-of-town audition cities.  Drop a planned road show.  Fewer Clue Crew excursions.  Delay a set/music refresh.  All better options than making the game boring for everybody

I'm reminded of the story of Roger scheduling plenty of easy setups in the first half of Season 36 to get wins and ease Drew in, only to find he had to make up a $700,000 deficit after CBS wouldn't give him any more money for the prize budget. The solution was harder games and cheaper cars. (Miraculously, he claimed by the end of the season he came within $3,000 of the budget.)

Also, forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought the prize budget was a below-the-line expense? I'd assume if they NEEDED to make budget cuts next season, they'd start with other below-the-line things before they touch scheduled promo ops.

(and appearing to punish a contestant's success).

Probably looked that way after Michael Larson and the Perfect Bid incidents caused their respective shows to add clearly reactionary changes. Producers'll do what they gotta do, but I'd say if you can make it into an exclusive club with Michael Larson and Ted Slauson, you're in good company.