Author Topic: Jeopardy! (04/17/19)  (Read 11843 times)

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Re: Jeopardy! (04/17/19)
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2019, 10:03:10 PM »
^
“I’ve got to give Jeopardy immense credit, and The Chase U.S.A.,” Labbett told me. “In Britain or Australia”—where The Chase still airs—“James would not have made it onto television, because he’s just too damn good. They would never have him on.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/04/james-holzhauer-jeopardy-1-million-win-or-lose/587878/

I'm still amazed how James is still going.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2019, 12:19:11 AM »
Very interesting read, including the fact that James apparently auditioned to be another Chaser.

“I’ve got to give Jeopardy immense credit, and The Chase U.S.A.,” Labbett told me. “In Britain or Australia”—where The Chase still airs—“James would not have made it onto television, because he’s just too damn good. They would never have him on.”

The funny thing is there's a Holzhauer interview on the Jeopardy! website now where he says had to wait almost two years from his last audition, which is far longer than they usually take to pick somebody.  (In fact, you're allowed to test again 18 months after your last in-person audition because it's assumed that, by that point, you're not going to be picked.)  It would be fascinating to know if there was some sort of disagreement behind the scenes as to whether or not to cast James, as there was between Bill Carruthers and his contestant coordinator when it came to Michael Larson in 1984.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2019, 03:47:49 PM »
It seems like the first Holzhauer-inspired rule change has been implemented:

No more personal messages or shout-outs allowed during Final Jeopardy!
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 04:41:56 PM »
And last night he won his 18th game by $18 when normally a $53,999 result by the 2nd place contestant would be a winning score any other night. The $53,999 was the highest losing score ever on the show and only got $2,000 like losing $51,999 in the process.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2019, 07:10:38 AM »
It seems like the first Holzhauer-inspired rule change has been implemented:

No more personal messages or shout-outs allowed during Final Jeopardy!

I remember back in the '90s when Alex mentioned that one player had a lot of writing, and it turned out that she added "Please, Please" to her response. It seemed very weird at the time, but it happened so infrequently that most didn't care. But probably around 2010, there was a noticeable upward trend of these shout-outs starting to take place, increasing to a somewhat regular occurrence over the past couple weeks or so. There's always the interview portion for those shout-outs anyways.

Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/