Author Topic: Drew Comes Out Already Holding Mic?  (Read 6038 times)

Offline radioboy

• 6/1/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
Drew Comes Out Already Holding Mic?
« on: April 18, 2019, 11:13:14 AM »
Watching today before the interruption by the Mueller Report news.. and Drew walked out already holding his mic, not being met by a model to hand it off. Weird...then I realized it was because there were two male models today. Wow, so only a woman can hand off the mic to Drew? I can't figure out if it's not a big deal, sexist, or homophobic.

Not trying to launch an argument...just seemed very odd is all. And I'm not sure how to feel about it. Looking for opinions.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 11:19:51 AM by radioboy »

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
Re: Drew Comes Out Already Holding Mic?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 12:00:03 PM »
I haven't seen the show yet (I'm on the west coast, hopefully we get the show in its entirety at 10:00 a.m.) but had always wondered if one of the male models ever handed Drew the microphone. I assumed it would have been the case today when I saw the show's Facebook post about an all-male model show, but guess I was incorrect in my assumption.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline radioboy

• 6/1/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 12:17:30 PM »
Looks like some others noticed and have commented as such on the show's Facebook page. It's so odd and out of place.

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 01:05:03 PM »
Not sure where the charge of homophobia comes from...

Offline radioboy

• 6/1/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 01:12:44 PM »
Sorry, let me clarify...I meant to use that example as a way the move could be interpreted. I wasn't clear in my post. However, I would love to know the reason behind it because optics are always important.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 01:44:03 PM »
Wow, so only a woman can hand off the mic to Drew? I can't figure out if it's not a big deal, sexist, or homophobic.

I didn't see the show, so I don't know how soon they made the announcement that it was an all-male show. But if they had a male model hand off the mic right off the top, that might give away any surprise they were hoping to hold until it could be announced by Drew or surmised by the audience.

Given the exchange Drew had with James on an episode a while back over the course of a couple of acts that led to James appearing without his pants, I don't think "homophobia" is even remotely a valid explanation. It's sad anyone would jump to such a conclusion.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 05:11:43 PM »
It's sad anyone would jump to such a conclusion.

Agreed.

/FWIW my initial interpretation was simply that they were simply going to forego the mic handoff from now on as a means to save time. I know it sounds silly, but as we lose more airtime to commercials, I wouldn't be surprised if they start trying to squeeze as much airtime as they can by trimming the small things--even getting Drew to homebase and do his welcome faster to save those seconds.

Offline radioboy

• 6/1/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 05:45:06 PM »
It was an example, people. And absolutely one that people would jump to. That said, they pre promoted it on social, so it wasn't to create a surprise. They didn't even really mention it on the show. Again, it seems odd. But you defend you, boo.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 06:04:52 PM »
Agreed.

/FWIW my initial interpretation was simply that they were simply going to forego the mic handoff from now on as a means to save time. I know it sounds silly, but as we lose more airtime to commercials, I wouldn't be surprised if they start trying to squeeze as much airtime as they can by trimming the small things--even getting Drew to homebase and do his welcome faster to save those seconds.

How much airtime can they actually really even lose anymore? Seems like it's borderline ridiculous now.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 06:38:20 PM »
It was an example, people. And absolutely one that people would jump to.

Yes, it was an example--one that you raised. Not one that any of us raised. Based on the reactions, it seems to me like you were the only one who was even thinking along those lines. And since you're the one who let the cat out of the bag, you can't really complain when you get called on it.

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 06:45:55 PM »
I can't think of anyone on any area of the political spectrum that would jump to homophobia as a reason for no mic handoff.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 08:13:00 PM »
Come on guys, let's not make this political. As for the case in question, I believe a gentlemanly handshake would've sufficed quite nicely.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 11:45:49 PM »
A woman has always handed off the mic to the host.  There were no women models today and there was no mic hand off.   Out of the ordinary? Yes.  Homophobic? Not so much.  Maybe someone made the executive decision that the first male seen on camera should be the host of the show.  Who the hell knows.  (Quite honestly the mic hand-off became unnecessary once they went to a cordless mic.)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 11:49:12 PM by Drew72 »
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 12:32:11 AM »
(Quite honestly the mic hand-off became unnecessary once they went to a cordless mic.)

And the cordless mic became unnecessary once the started giving everyone and their dog lapel mics.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 01:42:05 AM »
And the cordless mic became unnecessary once the started giving everyone and their dog lapel mics.

No, it actually didn't -- contestants aren't miked until after an Item up for Bids, so anyone who gets onstage immediately isn't miked, and the person who plays the first game is never miked.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.