Author Topic: Material Used for the Big Wheel Dollar Signs  (Read 2888 times)

Offline barkerfan05

• In the Audience
Material Used for the Big Wheel Dollar Signs
« on: April 20, 2019, 05:09:54 AM »
May I just ask that does somebody know the material the show used for the dollar signs on the big wheel? I think they also used that material for the showcase podiums and the current big door frames.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Re: Material Used for the Big Wheel Dollar Signs
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 08:57:08 AM »
My guess is that they use the shiny metal in silver finish. Inside the dollar signs themselves is a checkerboard pattern that alternates between white and silver, and I believe the white parts have lights in them.

Offline penny_ante

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Old Penny board c 1982
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 11:46:56 PM »
Do a web search for "holographic film" and you'll probably find something close, like this, or this.

The CBS prop builders probably have a vendor that allows them to order whatever size/pattern they need.
Penny Ante
1979-2002
RIP, Old Friend

Offline barkerfan05

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 05:59:17 AM »
May I just request penny_ante, can upload them in picture form 'cause I can't access the link here on my phone.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 07:12:47 PM »
I don't know exactly what the material is, but on a whim, I did a quick search. This might not be a direct-to-consumer vendor, and I don't know if it's exactly the same material that adorned the set back in season 36 (and still adorns those big dollar signs and the light strips around the wheel), but it looks really close to my memories. If nothing else, the site gives you a link to a high-res JPEG.

https://www.chemetal.com/designs/406-circles/
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 07:46:25 PM »
If it is just radially brushed aluminum, it's fairly easy to make if you're the slightest bit handy.  Just put steel wool on the bottom of a disc sander and rough in the circles.  (There are lots of videos on YouTube.)  Or buy the same pattern on contact paper and wrap a lighter-weight material.

I don't think TPiR uses the holographic paper because that material produces a more iridescent effect.  I don't see any colors other than shades of silver on the TPiR dollar signs.