Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/24/2019 (TPiR Season 47 Kids Week - Day III: Middle School)  (Read 9040 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
Episode #8673K (Kids Week – Day 3: Middle School)
Aired – 4/24/2019; Taped – 11/4/2018
Models: Manuela Arbelaez, James O'Halloran, Rachel Reynolds
Microphone Handoff: Manuela
First Four Contestant Seating: Left to Right

First IUFB: Pair of Electric Power Go-Karts (2 go-karts, 2 helmets); ARP: $860 (Rachel and James)

MADELINE ANTHONY KAILEY CORBIN
750 300 900 600

The winner is...
MADELINE

Madeline, an 8th grader, is playing PLINKO! for a chance to win $50,000!.

Drew gives her a free Plinko chip.
$

Chip #1 (Water Bottle):

She picks 0...
WIN!
$40
$

Chip #2 (Trucker Hat):

She picks 1...
$
WIN!
$18

Chip #3 (Soccer Ball):

She picks 5...
WIN!
$35
$

Chip #4 (Pictionary Game):

She picks 0...
WIN!
$20
$

Madeline drops the first chip...

$

0 10
0 1
$

Madeline drops the second chip...

$

0 10
0 1
$

Madeline drops the third chip...

$

0 10
0 1
$

Madeline drops the fourth chip...

$

0 10
0 1
$

Madeline drops the fifth chip...

$

0 10
0 1
$

LOSS (Total Winnings: $13,113)

Second IUFB: Song-Making Kit (Keyboard, lightpad block, loop block; APple: 128GB iPad; 2 headphones); ARP: $1,729 (James)

CHARLIE ANTHONY KAILEY CORBIN
900 100 225 1200

The winner is...
CORBIN

Corbin, a 7th grader from Arizona, is playing SQUEEZE PLAY for a trip to England (RT Coach for 4 to London, EN for a 6n stay in a 2br luxury garden apartment at Lamington + Warner Brothers Studio tour) (Manuela).

The 9, 5, 7 or 6 is incorrect.

1 9 5 7 6 4

Corbin removes the 7...

$ 1 9 5 6 4
$15764
LOSS

Third IUFB: Collection of Watches (8 plastic watches (4 for him; 4 for her)); ARP: $605 (Rachel)

CHARLIE ANTHONY KAILEY OWEN
1000 300 525 400

The winner is...
KAILEY

Kailey, a 6th grader, is playing Vend-O-Price for a new kid cave (Sony: PS4 with games, 55in television; $1,500 gift card to Jo-Ann Fabrics; t-shirt making kit; 24.3in desktop computer with Toybox: 3D printer, 29 roles of printer food; ARP: $6,079) (James).

JUICE DRINK
COOKIES
STRING CHEESE

Kailey pulls the lever on the cheese shelf, as they think it's the most expensive.

$1.49
$8.94
$3.19
$15.95
$8.99
$35.96

WIN

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Corbin $1,729 85 STAY .85 *SHOWCASE*
Kailey $6,684 70 60 1.30
OVER
Madeline $13,973 75 70 1.45
OVER

Fourth IUFB: Smartphones and Robotic Toys (Sony Mobile: 32GB smartphones; Sphero: smart robotic toys) ; ARP: $1,410 (James and Manuela)

CHARLIE ANTHONY WILLIAM OWEN
1250 1000 1300 2500

The winner is...
WILLIAM

William is playing RANGE GAME for a trip to the Bahamas (RT Coach for 4 to the Bahamas then to Harbor Island for a 6n stay in a 1br luxury villa at Valentines REsidences Resort and Marina + parasailing adventure for 4) (Rachel).

$13,900

$13,300

William stops the range finder at $13,485–$13,635

ARP: $13,588. WIN

$13,900

$13,300

Fifth IUFB: Shoes, Backpacks and Lunchboxes (3 pairs of leather sneakers, 3 pairs of mesh sneakers, 4 backpacks, 2 lunchboxes); ARP: $1,220 (James)

CHARLIE ANTHONY HALEY OWEN
550 600 400 500

The winner is...
ANTHONY

Anthony, an 8th grader from Inglewood, California, is playing Shell Game for a new backyard (Beachcomber: 321 hot tub; zip line; ninja obstacle course, chair and ottoman, food truck; ARP: $10,576) (Manuela).

Small prizes:

1) Wonder Book
$40
LOWER
$17
LOWER
2) Cotton Candy Machine
$25
HIGHER
$40
HIGHER
3) Westcott Electric Pencil Sharpener
$39
LOWER
$20
LOWER
4) RC Toy Boat
$70
HIGHER
$90
HIGHER

For the extra cash bonus, is the ball behind #3?

WIN (Total Winnings: $10,743)

Sixth IUFB: Sunglasses and Scooters (Ray-Ban: 6 sunglasses (3 for him; 3 for her); M-Cro: 5 foldable scooters; 5 helmets; everyone in the audience is getting a scooter and you can win one at home); ARP: $1,698 (Manuela)

CHARLIE JAIA HALEY OWEN
1401 1300 1400 900

The winner is...
CHARLIE

Charlie, a 6th grader, is playing Race Game for:

1. Television (82in QLED smart 4K television) (Manuela)
  2. Collection of Cameras (Instax: 4 cameras with 3 packs of film) (Manuela)
  3. Pair of Electric Paddleboards (2 electric paddleboards with accessories) (Rachel)
  4. Arcade Game (Ms. Pac-Man arcade game with 17in LCD display) (James)
Today's prices:
$661
$1495
$2576
$4500

Off to the races!

1:
$2576
$4500
$1495
$661

2:
$2576
$1495
$4500
$661

3:
$4500
$1495
$2576
$661

LOSS. Board was:
$4500
$661
$2576
$1495

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Charlie $8,774 60 STAY .60
Anthony $11,963 40 85 1.25
OVER
William $14,998 40 50 .90 *SHOWCASE*

THE FABULOUS SHOWCASES

William has the honors...

SC1 - William

FUN FOR FRIENDS
  • Trip to Southern California Theme Park (2n stay for 6 in 2 deluxe rooms at the Holywood Hotel + RT limo trip for 6, one day admission tickets to 6F Magic Mountain) (Manuela)
  • Game Room (Air hockey table; Pop-a-Shot: dual basketball system; foosball game) (Rachel)
  • 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE (2L engine, 8-speed AT, FWD) (James)
Bid: $51,000

SC2 - Corbin

COOLEST STUFF EVER
  • Boom Boxes (Street Hopper: Pair of Wireless Speakers, mic, pair of earbuds, charging case) (Rachel and James)
  • $3,000 shopping spree (Rachel)
  • 2019 Chili Red Mini Cooper Convertible (1.5L engine, 6-speed AT, FWD, black bonnet stripes, heated seats) (Manuela)
Bid: $32,000
William
$51,000
SUV
$39,599
SUV
Corbin
$32,000
CONVERTIBLE
$33,620
$1,620
CONVERTIBLE
*WIN*
$35,349

Results: 3 out of 6 (Plinko center slot hit)
Winnings: $91,741
Biggest Winner: Corbin

This Recap is solely intended for the purpose of Golden-Road.net.
Reproduction of this without authorized consent is prohibited.

Recap produced by Roadgeek Adam
Templates by Visualbasicwizard and WhammyPower788
CSS work provided by cu2010.

Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
I knew Squeeze Play would be lost when Corbin didn't remove the 9. $19,xxx was definitely too expensive for the trip.

That had to be the easiest Vend-o-Price setup ever.

If only Charlie had switched the cameras and arcade game prices.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
Not a bad show at all today!

Vend-o-Price was definitely quite easy, though I hadn't realized the string cheese was quite that much (I thought they would be $5 something.)

I was afraid there was going to be a double overbid - I thought $32,000 was too much for the second showcase and, of course, $51,000 was way too much for the first one. I personally would have bid $1 after the large bid, just to be safe. I'm not great at keeping up with the prizes and their prices as much as others, so that's just me.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
That had to be the easiest Vend-o-Price setup ever.

The very epitome of a "forced win" if there ever was one!

Offline SanAnMan

• In Contestant's Row
  • Always look on the bright side of life.
I know some people may disagree, but I had no problem with this being a car-free show until the Showcases. The prizes were all geared towards the kids playing them -- things they would like and actually be able to use. Once the Showcases came around, the parents were able to help and that's when cars came into play.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
I know some people may disagree, but I had no problem with this being a car-free show until the Showcases. The prizes were all geared towards the kids playing them -- things they would like and actually be able to use. Once the Showcases came around, the parents were able to help and that's when cars came into play.
I am guessing that the reason they do this is, there aren't that many states where kids that young are allowed to own cars. With the parents involved in the showcases, they can give any car won to the parent.

I wonder if they're even allowed to give any of the prizes to the kids, as opposed to having their parents sign something that says that they receive all of the prizes. It matters for tax purposes.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
The Plinko segment was a nice way to kick off the show, with a center slot hit on one of the chips.

I think $35.96 is the highest total ever recorded in Vend-O-Price; man, that was a huge difference between the cookies and string cheese.

IIRC, the ball was under Shell #1, and the recap failed to show it.

Charlie didn't play Race Game too well, but at least she did end up with the two most expensive prizes of the bunch.

Online Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
I wonder if they're even allowed to give any of the prizes to the kids, as opposed to having their parents sign something that says that they receive all of the prizes. It matters for tax purposes.

I'm not quite sure how they were able to pull this off, since the show has been very picky in the past about making sure that all decision makers are over 18. This is the first time I remember where a parent wasn't even on stage with a child. It also exposes how out-of-touch some kids are with the value of money since they don't have that support right with them, and I'm sure I was the same way at that age.

But there have been game shows where the primary players were kids, and even shows like Jeopardy! have their special weeks. I would be curious to see the paperwork for how all of it is handled and why Price has been hesitant to travel down that path until now.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:41:45 PM by Flerbert419 »
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
I'm not quite sure how they were able to pull this off, since the show has been very picky in the past about making sure that all decision makers are over 18. This is the first time I remember where a parent wasn't even on stage with a child. It also exposes how out-of-touch some kids are with the value of money since they don't have that support right with them, and I'm sure I was the same way at that age.

But there have been game shows where the primary players were kids, and even shows like Jeopardy! have their special weeks. I would be curious to see the paperwork for how all of it is handled and why Price has been hesitant to travel down that path until now.
They didn't have adults during last year's middle school episode of kids week. I defer to people with far more expertise on the subject as to whether or not that was the first time on TPIR.

I think they don't do it with the normal episodes because they would have to make sure all of the pricing games were "allowed to be played" with minors - either that, or don't call down any minors until the "adults only" games are played.

I am under the impression that, if a choice concerning stopping and taking money or risking it is involved (e.g. Let 'em Roll; Punch-A-Bunch), then it has to be an adult (mainly from episodes of The $128,000 Question and Joker! Joker!! Joker!!! from the 1970s, where adults had to make the decisions concerning whether to stop or continue when money was involved). However, they played Punch-A-Bunch on the high school episode, so unless all of those contestants were 18 or older, that impression is not entirely accurate.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
You know, I just noticed something watching through these episodes again—I think Kailee’s little sister was the one that played Eazy in the Preschool episode (Kailani, I believe). You can Kailee and her father applaud as the little sis and mom make their way up on stage. Must have been a pretty eccentric family for both of them to get picked like that!

And as a commentary on this episode itself—it’s quite a treat to see these kids get a chance to play by themselves. You can tell they’re all having fun.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 02:04:33 AM by RedWing512 »

Offline SanAnMan

• In Contestant's Row
  • Always look on the bright side of life.
You know, I just noticed something watching through these episodes again—I think Kailee’s little sister was the one that played Eazy in the Preschool episode (Kailani, I believe). You can Kailee and her father applaud as the little sis and mom make their way up on stage. Must have been a pretty eccentric family for both of them to get picked like that!

Had to check this out for myself, and you're right, definitely the same kids. Makes you wonder if the producers missed something? It's just extremely odd to have two siblings called to Come On Down, especially in a specials week like this.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
Had to check this out for myself, and you're right, definitely the same kids. Makes you wonder if the producers missed something? It's just extremely odd to have two siblings called to Come On Down, especially in a specials week like this.
The odds of being picked as a contestant are significantly higher during these special themed episodes where only some of the people in the audience are eligible to be called up on stage.  That may have something to do with it.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
Also, the two episodes were taped one and a half months apart, which is plenty of time to forget which families were selected.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.