Author Topic: 3 Strikes facelift needs some adjustments  (Read 3742 times)

Offline ssetta

• Walking the Golden Road
3 Strikes facelift needs some adjustments
« on: April 28, 2019, 04:44:41 PM »
Has anyone noticed that we really haven't seen the new 3 Strikes set much since early this season? Well, I did notice a pretty big flaw that I think needs to be fixed. It looks like it's pretty easy to see what you're pulling out before actually pulling it out, aka cheating. I have seen a few times when Drew said "Oh, come on, lift it up!" I'm pretty sure the old drawing system was fixed so that you could not see what you were picking out before it actually came out. Do you think that could be done with the new system?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 3 Strikes facelift needs some adjustments
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 05:10:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure the old drawing system was fixed so that you could not see what you were picking out before it actually came out.
If that were truly the case, then the Toni incident never would've happened.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 07:43:52 PM »
Has anyone noticed that we really haven't seen the new 3 Strikes set much since early this season?

We're actually pretty on par with previous seasons. They've played it 3 times so far.

3 Strikes has only played 4 times a season since Drew took over, with the exception of S37 (3 playings) and S41 (6 playings). At this point in S42, S43 and S45 it had only been played 3 times, and all 4 playings took place prior to this point in S44 and S46.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 07:48:16 PM by CJBojangles »

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 09:22:50 PM »
We're actually pretty on par with previous seasons. They've played it 3 times so far.

3 Strikes has only played 4 times a season since Drew took over, with the exception of S37 (3 playings) and S41 (6 playings). At this point in S42, S43 and S45 it had only been played 3 times, and all 4 playings took place prior to this point in S44 and S46.

While this is true, I'm still pretty stunned that they'd not play a newly refurbished game a little more than usual the season of its debut. What's the point of spending the money if you aren't going to show it off? I'm not expecting them to play it every two weeks like this is the 90's, but I was expecting perhaps a monthly rotation just for this season.

If the rotation wasn't as low as it is, it would certainly be more suspicious to see it disappear. Because they certainly have a problem.

If that were truly the case, then the Toni incident never would've happened.
I think they probably mean fixed after that particular incident.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 12:51:15 AM »
While this is true, I'm still pretty stunned that they'd not play a newly refurbished game a little more than usual the season of its debut. What's the point of spending the money if you aren't going to show it off? I'm not expecting them to play it every two weeks like this is the 90's, but I was expecting perhaps a monthly rotation just for this season.

If the rotation wasn't as low as it is, it would certainly be more suspicious to see it disappear. Because they certainly have a problem.
I think they probably mean fixed after that particular incident.

Only fix they did was all white chips for a time after, which they later reversed. Have to assume given that, the inside of the bag could always be seen. Could be wrong, but would doubt it.

Offline Eddie

• #4234K: The very first show I attended
3 Strikes facelift needs some adjustments
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 05:16:30 AM »
While You're reviewing the motif of the game, let's ask why and how sometimes the producers add 1 strike to the mix or and sometimes 3 to the mix.  Much of Bob's closing years it was only 1 but went back to 3 when Drew come on the Scene.

Another question: Was the game changed from regular cars to luxury cars to make the game a rare occurrence?  Early playings showed the game was played more often.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 05:21:44 AM by Eddie »
Shows I Attended:
#4234K, #4235K, #8453K,
#0342L, #0314L, #0315L, #0321L, #0322L,
#0511L, #0513L & #0515L

Offline greg

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 06:49:04 PM »
While You're reviewing the motif of the game, let's ask why and how sometimes the producers add 1 strike to the mix or and sometimes 3 to the mix.  Much of Bob's closing years it was only 1 but went back to 3 when Drew come on the Scene.

I remember Bob explaining they changed it from three strikes to one because of a study a college in Los Angeles did that showed one strike would produce more winners

Quoting fixed by Steve.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 07:21:03 PM by SteveGavazzi »

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 02:20:02 AM »

They weren't quite getting as much winners as they wanted, and they decided taking out two of the strikes was the simplest way to get the win rate back up to where they wanted it.

Drew's second season was a bit of a mess and the new showrunners couldn't figure out what they wanted to do; they tried all sorts of rules tinkering with games that really didn't need it. Who knows why. Eventually decided to go back to playing it  with three strike chips after much on-air experimentation.

If there actually was a study done, cool. It's always nice for the show to reciprocate good earned publicity and make an example for others who may have been watching. But I'm sure they all knew that already--you really don't need to run a study to know that starting the game with 5/6 odds of drawing a number will produce more wins than than 5/8.

Another question: Was the game changed from regular cars to luxury cars to make the game a rare occurrence?  Early playings showed the game was played more often.

Like most of the show's early car games, 3 Strikes was originally designed around four-digit cars. With four chips in the bag, it was more or less in line with the difficulty of other car games. When the game permanently expanded to 5 digits and added an additional chip in the bag, it became quite a bit more difficult, since it shrank the odds of both pulling all the numbers and placing each one correctly. They made up for the added difficulty by playing it for something really special.

Also, 3 Strikes is a loooong game. As the 90's went on, the show's running time began to slowly be cut down to make room for more commercials. Since 3 Strikes was going to have to cut back on playings no matter what, might as well make an event of it and ensure it's always played for something really special.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."