Author Topic: If you were a contestant....  (Read 8353 times)

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
If you were a contestant....
« on: May 03, 2019, 11:07:16 PM »
...which game or games do you have the most confidence you would win?

For me:
Cliff Hangers (of course)
Clock Game
Race Game
Range Game
Magic Number - so easy it’s stupid

And for sure the following 3 car games, as they only require you to zero in on the price, as opposed to being able to nail the fourth and fifth digits like L7:

Triple Play  - not difficult if you have a somewhat decent knowledge of the predictable rotation of cars they present.
Five Price Tags- for the same reason
Gas Money - for the same reason
————-
Which games do you have the LEAST confidence in your ability to win?

For me:
Stack the Deck (dep on car shown)
Grand Game - don’t know why but I always mess this up
Half Off - too much luck involved
Squeeze Play - prices too arbitrarily set up . Easy for producers to throw this one.
Time is Money - crazy difficult if not hit on the first try
Three Strikes - again, too much luck component
Switcheroo- quite a difficult game to nail without some luck on your side

There are more I’m missing but those are the ones that come to mind.

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
Re: If you were a contestant....
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 11:32:18 PM »
Most confidence:

- Cliff Hangers
- Coming or Going (if the pattern still seems to be "Going" for trips and "Coming" for everything else)
- Magic #
- 5 Price Tags (at the very least I'll know how to maximize my number of choices)
- Lucky $even (I know they'll go for extremes, the only thing that might trip me up is if I go with the wrong extreme, at the very least I know not to pick 5s)
- Check Game
- Bonkers
- Hole in One (may not be able to necessarily do well on the grocery portion, but I feel like I'm a decent putter)
- Ten Chances
- Now....or Then

Games I would probably lose in a heart beat:

- Pay the Rent
- Golden Road*
- Triple Play
- Stack the Deck*
- Money Game*
- Cover Up (I could at least maximize the number of rounds probably)*
- Any Number*

*Basically I am not detail-oriented enough to know the last number or last two based on things like paint and fabric protection, or all-weather floor mats, those kinds of things.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 11:38:21 PM »
Games I would probably lose in a heart beat:

- Pay the Rent
- Golden Road*
- Triple Play
- Stack the Deck*
- Money Game*
- Cover Up (I could at least maximize the number of rounds probably)*
- Any Number*

*Basically I am not detail-oriented enough to know the last number or last two based on things like paint and fabric protection, or all-weather floor mats, those kinds of things.
Not sure why you've got Golden Road in here, since there you only ever have to guess the hundreds digit.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 11:39:46 PM »
I'd feel good about That's Too Much!, since you only need to decide if the car falls between the two prices. The loudness doesn't add to the pricing skill; it's really just for fun. Card Game also has a range, except you determine that by picking cards.

Perhaps Hi-Lo and Shopping Spree, two games where you gotta pick the most expensive grocery item/prize three times, and that's all there really is to them. Somehow, I'd be more confident picking high prices than picking low prices.

I might be able to do good at Bonkers as well.

---------------

If you're good at pricing small items, you might be good with Switcheroo as long as you save the car for last. I'm kinda in the middle for this one, though.

---------------

I've got no confidence in Pass the Buck, another luck-based game.

Hole in One (or Two). There's too much pressure to sink the putt on national TV.

Cover Up. The first two digits might be obvious, but the last three are not, and I'm not confident enough in deliberately missing the first two.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 11:53:02 PM »
Not sure why you've got Golden Road in here, since there you only ever have to guess the hundreds digit.

I guess I didn't mean to put the asterisk with that one. It would still be difficult for me even at the second prize. More often than not when playing along at home I get the second prize wrong, so wouldn't even be able to make it to the car.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 01:42:14 AM »
With a little skill and nerve, I would say Rat Race if it's during Big Money Week.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 03:26:34 PM »
Clock Game and Hole in One are probably the only two games that I feel are immune to "evil setups", and are therefore my favorite. 

In Hole in One, no matter how hard the the small prizes are, you are not going to putt from any further back than the last line.  As long as you keep your nerves, and are reasonably good at putting, you're probably going to win.

As for Clock Game, no matter how difficult the two prizes are, if you remain calm and use your head, and divide and conquer your guesses in a logical way, you should not have a problem winning.

Race Game and Bonkers get honorable mentions provided you can move fast enough and can maximize your number of guesses.

Magic # is hard to lose as it's been played recently, but the producers always have the option of making the game hard to win by changing up the prizes.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 05:09:42 PM »
As for Clock Game, no matter how difficult the two prizes are, if you remain calm and use your head, and divide and conquer your guesses in a logical way, you should not have a problem winning.
Two words: binary search. If you can remember that, you'll win every single time.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 05:44:04 PM »
A game I would have confidence in winning would be something like Bullseye or Grocery Game, where I have some idea of the prices of the items.

I would not have confidence in Now Or Then, because I'm never sure if the prices are today's or in the past.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 05:50:32 PM »
Two words: binary search. If you can remember that, you'll win every single time.

Let's say a prize is $850, and as the contestant, you know all Clock Game prizes are between $500 and $1000. So a theoretically perfect binary search would look something like this:

CONTESTANT: $750 [average of $500 and $1000]
DREW: Higher
CONTESTANT: $875 [average of $750 and $1000]
DREW: Lower
CONTESTANT: $812 [average of $750 and $875]
CONTESTANT: $844 [average of $812 and $875]
CONTESTANT: $859 [average of $844 and $875]
CONTESTANT: $851 [average of $844 and $859]
CONTESTANT: $847 [average of $844 and $851]
CONTESTANT: $849 [average of $847 and $851]
CONTESTANT: $850 [average of $849 and $851]

One problem: good luck doing the math for a binary search on stage when you only have 30 seconds to win 2 prizes. In this example, just try to average $875 and $844 in your head. Now try to do averages like that 9 times. If a computer is playing clock game, then I absolutely agree that binary search is the way to go. But not for a human.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 06:48:03 PM »
One problem: good luck doing the math for a binary search on stage when you only have 30 seconds to win 2 prizes. In this example, just try to average $875 and $844 in your head. Now try to do averages like that 9 times. If a computer is playing clock game, then I absolutely agree that binary search is the way to go. But not for a human.

Yeah, perfect is the enemy of good. Going by 100s, 50s, 10s is almost always going to win the game handily.

Plus some prices are far more likely to be correct than others, so perfect binary search is not the most efficient way of hitting them. Bonus points if your bids end in -99 and -49 instead of -00 or -50, but it’s by no means necessary, unless you’re going for a speed record or playing it on an MDS.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 06:58:48 PM »
Also, I do believe the contestant does not have to say the complete number each time. Example: You've narrowed down the price to somewhere between $750 and $770. You can say, "760." Then you can say, "759, 8, 7, etc." or "761, 2, 3, etc." depending on whether Drew says higher or lower. This method can shave a second or two off your total elapsed time, which can be crucial in the endgame.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »
Also, I do believe the contestant does not have to say the complete number each time. Example: You've narrowed down the price to somewhere between $750 and $770. You can say, "760." Then you can say, "759, 8, 7, etc." or "761, 2, 3, etc." depending on whether Drew says higher or lower. This method can shave a second or two off your total elapsed time, which can be crucial in the endgame.

Yeah that would be true pretty much from the beginning, although someone could correct me if that's wrong I'm sure. Many many contestants even in the Barker days would do that, or at least do "761, 62, 63, 64, etc." So best I can tell that's always been a unwritten rule as it were, which makes sense. I never even thought of the binary way honestly till now seeing it here, always assumed the old way was the perfect way to do it. Still think that really, binary is too complicated I think, for speed and thinking reasons both.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 07:52:31 PM »
Games that I would dominate at:
-Cliff Hangers
-Clock Game
-Now... or Then (There is a way to win it 100% of the time)
-Magic Number ($3,000)
-Coming or Going (Trip is always going, else coming)
-5 Price Tags (Bug off, falsitis)
-Bullseye (I just pick two of the the three most expensive-looking things)
-Bonkers
-Master Key (I'll pull off another Brian, and just go 1/5)
-Pass the Buck (Same reasoning, 1/6)

Games that I feel confident-ish:
-Cover Up (Intentionally throwing the first digit, knowing 0/5/9 is probably wrong for the last digit)
-10 Chances (Zero rule)
-Plinko (Just drop in the center, and I believe there's a soft zero rule)
-Money Game (El Cheapo? Front and Back? Avoid the season digit?)
-Lucky $even (I'm just going straight 5 if it's a special, else I feel like I can get a sense on the hundreds and ones digits)
-Any game that involves going fast
-Dice Game
-Check Game (Really, the game nowadays is "$1,000 or $2,000".)
-Check-Out ($19.32)

Games that I want to play, but will probably fail at:
-Switcheroo (I'd just focus on the SPs)
-The Big 3 + Pay the Rent
-Any casher that has a bailout or partial win
-Temptation (Just to bail)
-Any #
-Grocery Game
-Gas Money
-Any "gimmick" game setup

Games I just will hide from:
-StD
-Rat Race (It's a perfectly fine game, but I don't feel confident that I will go reasonably high on the second item)
-Pocket Change (This game always seemed a bit too hard for me. It isn't the hardest, but I just don't like it)
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 06:16:47 AM »
In Hole in One, no matter how hard the the small prizes are, you are not going to putt from any further back than the last line.  As long as you keep your nerves, and are reasonably good at putting, you're probably going to win.

That's why, if I ever went to TPIR, and was being interviewed in the line, and was asked what my favorite game was, I would answer Hole In One: because even if you totally blow the setup phase, you're still very likely to win a car if you just keep your wits about you, keep calm, and sink the putt.