Author Topic: A list of the most memorable contestants/biggest winners for game shows  (Read 6016 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
So, game shows have been around a while. Eventually, each game show gets a contestant that nobody can forget. I thought it would be fun to compile a list of those most infamous contestants for each game show. These are not necessarily the biggest winners on each game show, but rather the most memorable.

Oh, and feel free to add your own inductees, or provide a better candidate for those listed here!

$64,000 Question: Despite attempts to trigger her demise, Joyce Brothers cleared all the questions and was the first contestant to collect the top prize.

Twenty-One: Charles Van Doren won $129,000 in a winning streak from 1957 to 1958. He defeated Herbert Stempel, who had won $69,500 previously.

Tic Tac Dough: Thom McKee won $312,700 on TTD in 1980.

Press Your Luck: Michael Larson cracked the pattern codes on the Big Board and walked away with $110,237 in 1984.

Who Wants to be a Millionaire: John Carpenter became the first person to claim the $1 million prize in November 1999.

The Price is Right: Terry Kneiss achieved an exacta on his showcase in 2008, which is, thus far, the only exacta in the 47 year history of TPIR.

Jeopardy: First, Ken Jennings won $2,520,700 in a 74-day winning streak in 2004. However, a newcomer may topple that record. James Holzhauer began an active winning streak on April 4, 2019, and has, to date, amassed $1,691,008.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:30:01 PM by therealcu2010 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
If you include the UK version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire- Charles Ingram, the contestant who was found to be cheating in the "coughing scandal" in 2001.

Jeopardy- Have to include Brad Rutter also, since he's won every tournament from the Million Dollar Masters to the most recent All Star Games.

Wheel of Fortune- Raymond Taylor

I would add Yolanda Bowsley for Price, since her tube top incident is so infamous.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
This is infamous, if you are in Jeopardy circles, but given these episodes haven't seen the light of day in almost 34 years, it has gone to obscurity to the public, and that's Barbara Lowe's 1985 performances where she acted like a complete for lack of a better term, [insert censor here]. She called out Alex on the spot in one game, won 5 games, etc. Not to mention, she threatened to sue when they found out she was using a fake social security number, and name to get on. She was not invited to her TOC, but kept her winnings on the run. The episodes have never aired again.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:49:49 AM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
This is infamous, if you are in Jeopardy circles, but given these episodes haven't seen the light of day in almost 34 years, it has gone to obscurity to the public, and that's Barbara Lowe's 1985 performances where she acted like a complete for lack of a better term, Shaun Shaffer. She called out Alex on the spot in one game, won 5 games, etc. Not to mention, she threatened to sue when they found out she was using a fake social security number, and name to get on. She was not invited to her TOC, but kept her winnings on the run. The episodes have never aired again.

Wasn't there another infamous Jeopardy contestant somewhere, or am I misremembering? I thought there was another cheat at some stage on J.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
I would add Yolanda Bowsley for Price, since her tube top incident is so infamous.

Cynthia Azevedo has to be in this list too, as the first Million Dollar Winner (at least aired, unsure if one of the others was taped first since it aired out of order), and only one to do it in a pricing game of the 3 that did it.

Also Michelle Lowenstein for Wheel belongs here speaking of Million Dollar Winners, as she was the first to do it on Wheel when they introduced that possibility.

Offline GameShowDude

• In Contestant's Row
Wasn't there another infamous Jeopardy contestant somewhere, or am I misremembering? I thought there was another cheat at some stage on J.
That would be Jeff Kirby.  He first appeared on the episode that aired December 8, 1999, and lost.  Then, almost 10 years later, he snuck back into the contestant pool and appeared on the episode that aired October 12, 2009, and lost again.  Here's a link to his j-archive.com page.  http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6404

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
I think some of you don't know what "infamous" means.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
^ I'd argue that both Arthur Chu and that Buzzy guy, both from Jeopardy, fit the bill. Yes, Chu didn't break the rules of the game, but his style of play made me root against him. As for Buzzy...well, confidence is one thing, but he was arrogant and snarky and I was glad when his appearances ended.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
^ I'd argue that both Arthur Chu and that Buzzy guy, both from Jeopardy, fit the bill. Yes, Chu didn't break the rules of the game, but his style of play made me root against him. As for Buzzy...well, confidence is one thing, but he was arrogant and snarky and I was glad when his appearances ended.
Arthur yes, but I don't remember Buzzy getting that much dislike in his run.

Another one for Millionaire would be Ken Basin, the first contestant to answer the million dollar question incorrectly (on the 10th anniversary series in 2009).
There's also Lauren Cleri, the contestant from the Fox game show The Moment of Truth that admitted to cheating on her husband and then her and her husband later admitted she spilled the beans purely for the money.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
I think some of you don't know what "infamous" means.

Well, yes. I changed my word choice but forgot to change it in the subject. (Oops!)  :embarassed:

EDIT: Subject line changed, I think.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 11:51:43 AM by tpir04 »

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
A few from TPIR:

Record Breakers: Vickyann, Danielle Torres, Terry Kneiss (closest Showcase bid), Sheree Heil
Memorable Contestants: Toni Quinones, Bryan from Punch-a-Bunch in 1996, Yolanda Bowersly, Pauline from 1980, Mohini, Marilyn & Melanie, Edrie, Ella from Hole in One, Jade Mills, Hayloft Ethel, Felice Kaplan

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Let's not forget Boo Boo Cooper from 1972, and our good friend Joseph from 2006(remember him?), who bid $420 and $1869 on every IUFB until #5, when he bid $2,000,000.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
A few from TPIR:

Record Breakers: Vickyann, Danielle Torres, Terry Kneiss (closest Showcase bid), Sheree Heil
Memorable Contestants: Toni Quinones, Bryan from Punch-a-Bunch in 1996, Yolanda Bowersly, Pauline from 1980, Mohini, Marilyn & Melanie, Edrie, Ella from Hole in One, Jade Mills, Hayloft Ethel, Felice Kaplan

If you're going back to the Hayloft Ethel period, gotta mention "You were a good looking guy then" Angelo from around same time. Definitely one of the more memorable of that era, and a guy that got one of the biggest laughs out of Bob in perhaps his entire 35 year run I would say.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Let's not forget Boo Boo Cooper from 1972, and our good friend Joseph from 2006(remember him?), who bid $420 and $1869 on every IUFB until #5, when he bid $2,000,000.

Can't forget Ruphina the Carpet Lady from 1975 either (also one of the few contestants to participate in the short lived "Do it Yourself" Showcase), or Buy or Sell Michael on the more notable bidders from the 2000's.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
That would be Jeff Kirby.  He first appeared on the episode that aired December 8, 1999, and lost.  Then, almost 10 years later, he snuck back into the contestant pool and appeared on the episode that aired October 12, 2009, and lost again.  Here's a link to his j-archive.com page.  http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6404

Thanks for that :) I thought I got something mixed up somehow for a moment, but glad to know I didn't.