Author Topic: Whammy skits you'd like to see on PYL 2019  (Read 6729 times)

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Whammy skits you'd like to see on PYL 2019
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 11:48:12 PM »
Make it a more generic magic Whammy girl doing all this with a "Whammy Wand" or something like that, and it might actually happen.

This.

Part of the charm for me with the classic Whammies was that they had a life and comedy of their own, and you didn't have to be pop-culture-savvy to enjoy them. Even the Michael Jackson one was enjoyable to my 9-year-old self the first time I saw it, and I had no idea who he was supposed to be.

When WTANPYL happened in 2002 and they made a ton of direct pop culture references (the Judge Judy Whammy comes to mind), and to me they all just kind of fell flat. I love Judge Judy but that Whammy was actually one of my least favorites; it felt forced and really out of place, like they were going for the cheap laugh.

Online whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 09:10:45 PM »
Make it a more generic magic Whammy girl doing all this with a "Whammy Wand" or something like that, and it might actually happen.

Sounds good/close enough.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:13:00 PM by whowouldeverhurtawhammy »
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 10:02:27 PM »
A Whammy picking digits off the players screen as if it were shopping at the store

With shopping list in hand.

(Player's score: $19,500)
Whammy: (looks at list) "Let's see...I need a five, a one, two zeroes, and a nine." (He looks up at shelf.) "Perfect!" (takes numbers, exit Whammy)
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline WOF85

• In the Audience
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 10:21:03 PM »
Storm Chaser Whammy:

Whammy in a pickup truck holding a video camera. Tornado comes by picks up Whammy and the player's score and they disappear as the tornado moves on.
Plinko is the worst game the show ever made.

Offline jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 10:24:26 PM »
You’re getting dunked on but you deserve an explanation

And yeah, Someguy pretty much nailed it, it’s way too obscure a reference for the audience

You clearly think about game shows and Sailor Moon a lot. From your posts here it’s evident it’s a big part of your life. Congrats for finding something you’re passionate about! But you need to understand that Sailor Moon is not something the average American TV viewer thinks about often. And the number of people who would want to see Sailor Moon combined with 80’s game shows is not a very large overlap.

If your Whammy made it to air, you’d get three people creaming their pants in excitement, and three million people scratching their heads wondering what they just saw

The fact you went into such extreme detail about something like that didn’t help. If you had tried pitching something general and accessible, something everyone can recognize, you might have gotten a different reaction

Re: whowouldeverhurtawhammy: I would actually dig that Sailor Moon whammy. :D

Offline jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 10:43:57 PM »
Re: whowouldeverhurtawhammy: I would actually dig that Sailor Moon whammy. :D

I also wanted to point out you aren't the only anime (or at least, the only Sailor Moon) fan out here on this board. :D