Author Topic: Showcase Showdown: bonus spin explanations  (Read 7171 times)

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Showcase Showdown: bonus spin explanations
« on: May 11, 2019, 06:25:08 AM »
Of the Showcase Showdown bonus spin explanations that have been given by Bob Barker and Drew Carey over the years, which one do you like better?

I like Drew's as it is now, because he speaks more positively about it, and uses none of the negative words like "no" or "doesn't" or "don't" (what he says is, "You get one extra spin of the wheel, but you only get this one spin, so you have to make it count").

Bob, on the other hand, said, "Be sure you get it all the way around or it doesn't count, and you don't get to spin again."

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Re: Showcase Showdown: bonus spin explanations
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 10:39:26 AM »
Drew's explanation only works if you actually know what the rules are. What does "make it count" even mean? Get a high number? Spin it with enough oomph that the wheel falls off? It's not descriptive.

Bob told you the rules. If you fail to get it all the way around, you don't get a second chance, so make sure it goes all the way around. Simple as that. I don't understand why "no", "doesn't", and "don't" are bad words.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 10:55:21 AM »
I don't understand why "no", "doesn't", and "don't" are bad words.

It depends on what generation you belong to.

It's been my experience that in 2019, young people tend to have a harder time with words like "no," "doesn't," and "don't." It may be impolite to call them snowflakes, but I don't know any other term that's applicable. I'd say it has to do with the next generation having been coddled so much during their formative years that they're functionally incapable of processing the idea that "no" is a perfectly valid concept.

I agree with you...Bob simply explained it like it was, and no matter how young I was when I watched I never felt like he was being mean or unfair about it.

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 12:18:14 PM »
Sometimes we all need the “don’t”’s and the slightly negative phrasing in our lives. It helps a person learn what not to do. I never had issue with any of Barker’s rule explanations. Barker was much much much more of a strict disciplinarian in regards to all gameplay in general, though. Plus, it was a different time in society when maybe viewers didn’t put as much concern in such things. “Don’t”’s aside, I’m sure all of us old-schoolers here can recall plenty of times when Barker was short or rushy or seemingly agitated with a player and it was thinly veiled. LFAT’s never thought ill of it. Part of Barker’s charm honestly that he can be somewhat stern and masterfully direct an act of gameplay and still remain beloved.

Not to veer off subject, but I do miss Bob’s Bonus Spin Rules references to “the Green Sections” as opposed to how Drew’s always references them as strictly the “5 or the 15”..

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 05:19:07 PM »
Whether the contestants are being told to make sure the wheel goes all the way around or doesn't count and they don't get to spin again or to "make it count," the objective no matter what is hitting the 5, 15, or the dollar for the bonus money. Whether they get the wheel around once and don't hit the money spots or don't get the wheel all the way around, they're not winning anything more. Both Bob and Drew made/make it clear you only get the one spin, and Drew's shortened explanation may be due to the time constraints that Bob didn't have to deal with as much also.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 08:29:26 PM »
It depends on what generation you belong to.

It's been my experience that in 2019, young people tend to have a harder time with words like "no," "doesn't," and "don't." It may be impolite to call them snowflakes, but I don't know any other term that's applicable. I'd say it has to do with the next generation having been coddled so much during their formative years that they're functionally incapable of processing the idea that "no" is a perfectly valid concept.

I agree with you...Bob simply explained it like it was, and no matter how young I was when I watched I never felt like he was being mean or unfair about it.

Wise words. First, I do not have a problem with calling them snowflakes. Second, I, too, believe there is a 'yes' and a 'no'. This generation needs to learn that there are things that should not be done, instead of being able to whatever they want, with no repercussions or consequences. Might I even venture to say that this is the exact reason that we need police, instead of removing them from the streets. This may be a bit harsh for some ears, but it needs to be said. Without the rule of law, there is chaos.

(I'm sixteen, by the way. Shocking, isn't it?)
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 10:26:27 PM »
(I'm sixteen, by the way. Shocking, isn't it?)
And spoken like a sixteen year old, too.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 11:20:30 PM »
I gotta side with JayC here, Bob's explanation always was weird to me cause it was too thorough.

"Be sure to get it all the way around, or it doesn't count, and you don't get to spin again"

Any spin that doesn't make it all the way around won't be landing on a bonus space anyways, so what does it matter if the spin "counts" or not? Just say "you get one spin and one spin only, no do-overs." Done.

I'll concede there are times where Drew can be overly eager to make the contestant feel comfortable, but his explanation of the Wheel rules isn't one of them IMO
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 01:25:32 PM »
I gotta side with JayC here, Bob's explanation always was weird to me cause it was too thorough.

"Be sure to get it all the way around, or it doesn't count, and you don't get to spin again"

Any spin that doesn't make it all the way around won't be landing on a bonus space anyways, so what does it matter if the spin "counts" or not? Just say "you get one spin and one spin only, no do-overs." Done.

I'll concede there are times where Drew can be overly eager to make the contestant feel comfortable, but his explanation of the Wheel rules isn't one of them IMO

Actually reading that back.....I'm surprised that explanation never caused legal problems, since technically a contestant could fail to get the wheel all the way around on their bonus spin and then claim later that they never got their official spin because of how Bob described the rules. Seems like something that shoulda been changed at some point so that it was specific about it being one spin no matter what. I'm with you on this, Drew's version is much better.

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 02:52:53 PM »
Any spin that doesn't make it all the way around won't be landing on a bonus space anyways, so what does it matter if the spin "counts" or not?

A contestant could "spin" the wheel such that it only goes from the 5 to the dollar or the 15 without going all the way around. It wouldn't be much of a spin, but if they didn't have the "go all the way around" rule, the contestant could try to claim that was their spin and they should get the money.

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 03:27:07 PM »
Actually reading that back.....I'm surprised that explanation never caused legal problems, since technically a contestant could fail to get the wheel all the way around on their bonus spin and then claim later that they never got their official spin because of how Bob described the rules. Seems like something that shoulda been changed at some point so that it was specific about it being one spin no matter what. I'm with you on this, Drew's version is much better.

A change of one word would clarify the whole thing: instead of “you don’t get to spin again,” it should be “you don’t get to try again.”

I think both explanations have their flaws.    A good explanation would be halfway between them.

“You get one spin of the wheel for your bonus spin.   To win, the wheel has to go all the way around and land on either of the green spaces or on the $1.00.  You only get one try, so make it count!”
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 03:30:51 PM »
A contestant could "spin" the wheel such that it only goes from the 5 to the dollar or the 15 without going all the way around. It wouldn't be much of a spin, but if they didn't have the "go all the way around" rule, the contestant could try to claim that was their spin and they should get the money.

Lol touché

Now I'm imagining somebody flicking the wheel with their little finger, and it making it to air since "no do-overs", and clickbait publications running with it and writing in transparent advocacy about the "loophole".

"You wont BELIEVE how this one Price is Right contestant beat the system"

I know Stan spends some time chatting with the SCSD contestants before they tape it. I assume it's something like "Keep your energy up, if you beat the leader stand by the scoreboard, if you lose walk off the stage to your right." Do they do a rules explanation too? (ccing LiteBulb88, congrats again on your big win)
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 03:42:40 PM »

EDIT: Realized what you meant now reading this a second time. That's a fair point, hadn't thought of it, still think though rule as was still worded poorly to where it could open up to a different legal issue like I spoke of.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:45:33 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 03:50:28 PM »

A change of one word would clarify the whole thing: instead of “you don’t get to spin again,” it should be “you don’t get to try again.”

I think both explanations have their flaws.    A good explanation would be halfway between them.

“You get one spin of the wheel for your bonus spin.   To win, the wheel has to go all the way around and land on either of the green spaces or on the $1.00.  You only get one try, so make it count!”

I think that's overly wordy personally. And I think even try wouldn't fully close the loophole, but it's a little better I suppose at least.

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 03:57:17 PM »
I know Stan spends some time chatting with the SCSD contestants before they tape it. I assume it's something like "Keep your energy up, if you beat the leader stand by the scoreboard, if you lose walk off the stage to your right." Do they do a rules explanation too? (ccing LiteBulb88, congrats again on your big win)

It's actually not Stan, it's another stagehand. That stagehand doesn't say keep your energy up, but he does explain the rules--closest to a dollar without going over in 1 spin or a combination of 2 spins goes to the showcase. I don't recall if he explains the bonus spin rules during that spiel (my intuition is telling me that he did, but I'm not 100% sure). He does explain where to go if you lose, and if you're not sure, look around, as there will be stagehands off-camera to point you in the correct direction. He also says the rule of thumb is that if you lose, don't cross in front of the wheel.

P. S. Thanks for the congrats!