Author Topic: Showcase Showdown: bonus spin explanations  (Read 7109 times)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: Showcase Showdown: bonus spin explanations
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 04:08:31 PM »
It's actually not Stan, it's another stagehand. That stagehand doesn't say keep your energy up, but he does explain the rules--closest to a dollar without going over in 1 spin or a combination of 2 spins goes to the showcase. I don't recall if he explains the bonus spin rules during that spiel (my intuition is telling me that he did, but I'm not 100% sure). He does explain where to go if you lose, and if you're not sure, look around, as there will be stagehands off-camera to point you in the correct direction. He also says the rule of thumb is that if you lose, don't cross in front of the wheel.

P. S. Thanks for the congrats!

Gotcha! Have you received any prizes yet now that it's a month out, or would they all get processed closer together? And congrats again!

A change of one word would clarify the whole thing: instead of “you don’t get to spin again,” it should be “you don’t get to try again.”

I think both explanations have their flaws.    A good explanation would be halfway between them.

“You get one spin of the wheel for your bonus spin.   To win, the wheel has to go all the way around and land on either of the green spaces or on the $1.00.  You only get one try, so make it count!”
I think that's overly wordy personally. And I think even try wouldn't fully close the loophole, but it's a little better I suppose at least.

As long as the "all spins must make it all the way around" rule is clearly established at the beginning, I still think the only part that's truly important for the bonus spin is "You don't get to spin again".

If it doesn't make it all the way around, it doesn't "count", and you don't get to spin again.
If it does makes it all the way around, it "counts", and you don't get to spin again.

Bob's explanation kind of made it seem like "you don't get to spin again" was conditional on whether a spin "doesn't count". It isn't, it's its own independent clause. If he had said "Be sure to get it all the way around or it doesn't count. You don't get to spin again", even that would have been better.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 04:47:58 PM »
Gotcha! Have you received any prizes yet now that it's a month out, or would they all get processed closer together? And congrats again!

I have received the check from CBS for the house cleaning and the Audio Technica headphones (3 pairs of over ear bluetooth noise cancelling ones and 1 pair of earbuds). I also got an e-mail last night from Best Buy that Lauren Siefer has sent me a surprise from Best Buy. Googling that name suggests she is the head of prize fulfillment at TPiR, so I presume it's the iPod Touch and/or the water flosser, as those are the things that I won that you can buy at Best Buy according to their website. No word from Kia, Coleman (utility light), or Hangry Kits yet.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 04:49:59 PM by LiteBulb88 »

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 10:55:22 PM »
Since it’s a rule that doesn’t exist during non-bonus spins, I think the clearer the host makes this bonus spin rule, the better.

There might have been a case very early on when the bonus spin was first introduced, where a contestant tried to finesse the spin, came up short, and was surprised when they learned they don’t get a second whack. Afterwards, Bob would have been instructed to make the rule perfectly clear. Who knows?  Of course, we’d have to find the very first episode when the bonus spin was introduced to see if Bob always explained it that way.

Using certain negative language as “you can’t” , “if you don’t”, etc is fine, especially as such types of negatives are used in the game play descriptions of countless pricing games.  Bob explained it in a firm, cautionary, and more formal manner. 

We might all be on the verge of splitting hairs here. Ha

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 03:47:48 AM »
“You get one spin of the wheel for your bonus spin.   To win, the wheel has to go all the way around and land on either of the green spaces or on the $1.00.  You only get one try, so make it count!”

Just happened to read this, and I think that the way you put it should be the way it's explained-- I think you've worded it much better!

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 05:26:38 AM »

I don't like it when they mention the color because what if someone who can't see any colors like my Mom becomes a contestant on TPIR and gets to the showcase showdown?
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 08:54:26 AM »
It depends on what generation you belong to.

It's been my experience that in 2019, young people tend to have a harder time with words like "no," "doesn't," and "don't." It may be impolite to call them snowflakes, but I don't know any other term that's applicable. I'd say it has to do with the next generation having been coddled so much during their formative years that they're functionally incapable of processing the idea that "no" is a perfectly valid concept.

How the heck did a thread about spinning the wheel become a millennial bashing thread?? But since it's gone there, I get to defend them. Last summer, I (a then 39 year old non-millennial who has since turned 40) took a course in Prauge to learn how to teach English as a foreign language. There were 32 of us; I was one of 4 people over the age of 30. In other words, there were 28 millennials in the class, most of whom came from the US, and many of whom had never traveled outside the US before. And they worked hard. I saw them do things that people who bash millennials wouldn't believe they're capable of doing. Are they motivated differently than Generation X and Baby Boomers? Sure. They like encouragement more than just being told what they're doing wrong. But that doesn't mean a) they can't handle the word "no" (they certainly can) or b) their way is worse than any other generation. Their way may be *different* than other generations, but that doesn't mean it's worse.

One irony is that many Gen X'ers and Baby Boomers were bashed by their parents for the same reason--their generation did things differently than their parents' generation and their parents didn't like it. I doubt they liked being bashed for doing things differently, but now they bash millennials.

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 01:09:45 PM »
I have a comment about the current rules, not so much Drew's explanation.  In the Barker days, the winning amounts made sense with the amounts in the green sections, and the dollar.  $5000 for the 5 and 15, $10,000 for $1.00.

The current payouts are a nice upgrade, but the winning amounts don't really correspond to the wheel's amounts.

What about:
5 = $5000
15 = $15,000

1.00 = $100,000

Would make more sense numerically, easier to explain, and hitting a dollar for a 2nd time would be a awesome payout! (Does't really happen that often anyway, so I doubt it would break the budget).
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline Bluescreen_ODeff

• In Contestant's Row
  • Owe love...and owe love.
    • The Sweeping Developer
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 01:27:25 PM »
I just started a new thread specifically for that.

I have a comment about the current rules, not so much Drew's explanation.  In the Barker days, the winning amounts made sense with the amounts in the green sections, and the dollar.  $5000 for the 5 and 15, $10,000 for $1.00.

The current payouts are a nice upgrade, but the winning amounts don't really correspond to the wheel's amounts.

What about:
5 = $5000
15 = $15,000

1.00 = $100,000

Would make more sense numerically, easier to explain, and hitting a dollar for a 2nd time would be a awesome payout! (Does't really happen that often anyway, so I doubt it would break the budget).
Ecclesiastes 12:13

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 03:01:30 PM »
I don't like it when they mention the color because what if someone who can't see any colors like my Mom becomes a contestant on TPIR and gets to the showcase showdown?

Colorblind people can generally see SOME color, and those that can’t still see grayscale.   Given that every OTHER space has a black background  the ones that would appear gray can safely be assumed to be the referenced green spaces.    If the wheel were multicolored, though, that would definently be an issue.  Further, since the host returns the wheel to the .05 space before the spin, a simple physical indication solves the problem entirely.
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 09:24:14 AM »
How the heck did a thread about spinning the wheel become a millennial bashing thread?? But since it's gone there, I get to defend them.

*snip*

One irony is that many Gen X'ers and Baby Boomers were bashed by their parents for the same reason--their generation did things differently than their parents' generation and their parents didn't like it. I doubt they liked being bashed for doing things differently, but now they bash millennials.

I beg your pardon...I'm 33 and not far beyond being a Millennial myself. No one's "bashing" them. I shared my firsthand experience with a plurality of them (not all mind you, just a plurality). A question was asked about phrasing that included negative words like "don't," and I responded with one explanation that relates to what I've seen and experienced firsthand. It may not be a flattering assessment, but that doesn't automatically make it "bashing."
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:26:22 AM by ThomHuge »

Offline PIRfanSince72

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2019, 06:07:11 AM »

I know Drew has, at least on occasion said "If the wheel stops on the 5 or the 15 you win $10,000 more, and if it stops on the dollar, $25,000 more."