Author Topic: Ask me anything about my appearance  (Read 1377 times)

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
Ask me anything about my appearance
« on: May 13, 2019, 08:27:12 AM »
I've been getting some great questions about my recent appearance on TPiR, but sometimes those questions have sidetracked threads. Thus I'm starting a separate thread where people can ask anything they want about my appearance on the show. I've included some information about my appearance and questions people have asked already for completeness. But that said, feel free to ask me anything! Don't worry about whether the question has already been asked; anyone who knows me knows I'm more than willing to talk :lol:.

Here are the links with information about my appearance:

Official recap thread of the show I appeared on:
http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,29983.0.html

My post on this site about what happens at a taping in 2019:
http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,29948.0.html

Blog post about my appearance on the show:
https://stoseontpir.blogspot.com/2019/04/taping-2-taped-2819-aired-41519.html

Paperwork I received immediately after the show:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JLtXrZAMcHH2wR7yHAaCb2dgPVuV6bG_/view?usp=sharing

Press coverage:
A couple of days before the show aired:
https://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/douglassville-native-to-appear-on-the-price-is-right

The day after the show aired:
https://www.readingeagle.com/life/article/daniel-boone-grad-finds-keys-to-success-on-price-is-right

The already asked questions:
Question 1:
One question though regarding your blog post:

Why wouldn't you and the contestants be miked right at the first "Come on Down" opportunity?  For example had you won the IUFB and played "Do the Math" you would not have been miked, right?

Joe

You are correct--had I played Do The Math I wouldn't have been miked. In fact, it's guaranteed the contestant who plays the first game of the day isn't miked for this exact reason. I think the reason they wait is they don't want to stop tape to mike people up--they're willing to chance that someone gets on stage without a mike to save 6 extra stopdowns during the taping. The mikes are really only there as a backup anyway; they're not supposed to be the primary audio.

Question 2:
Gotcha! Have you received any prizes yet now that it's a month out, or would they all get processed closer together?

The prizes come separately. Here's a list of prizes I won along with their status:

IUFB:
Headphones: Received 5/9, 24 days after the air date. It included 3 pairs of Audio Technica over ear Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones and 1 pair of Audio Technica Bluetooth ear buds.

iPod Touch: Not yet received. I received an e-mail on 5/11 from Best Buy saying that Lauren Siefer, prize fulfillment director of The Price is Right, was sending me a "surprise." This could be all or part of that.

SPs from Master Key:
Coleman utility light: No word.

Sonic Waterpik:  Not yet received. I received an e-mail on 5/11 from Best Buy saying that Lauren Siefer, prize fulfillment director of The Price is Right, was sending me a "surprise." This could be all or part of that.

Main prizes from Master Key:
Hangry Kits snack kits: No word.

House cleaning: Came as a check; received 5/6, 21 days after the air date. The check was for $388.38. The house cleaning was worth $2080 ($80 * 26 sessions of house cleaning), but 7% California tax on everything I won was taken out of that amount. (NB: had I not won anything that was treated as cash, I would have had to send a check to CBS for 7% of the value of everything I won before they released any prizes. The 7% deduction does not apply to CA residents, as they'll pay it when they file their state taxes next year.)

Kia Forte FE: No word.

Of course, they all have until July 15 (90 days after the air date) to get me the prizes, so still plenty of time.

Question 3 (from friends):
You live in Prague. What are you going to do with the house cleaning and the car?

Well, as noted above, the house cleaning comes as cash, so no worries there. As for the car, when Kia contacts me, I'll work something out with them. Though whatever we agree on, I'm pretty sure I'll have to fly back to the states to pick up the car and register it in my name. I'll gladly pay $1,000 for a flight to pick up a car worth almost $20,000, even if I just sell it immediately.

Question 4 (not asked, but might be of interest to people here):
Press coverage? How did that work?

Before the show, I had noticed a trend of big winners getting press coverage in their home town newspapers, and they usually came as two articles: one before the show saying they would be on and one after the show giving the details of what they'd won. It only seems to be big winners who get this type of coverage, though. So I wasn't surprised when I got a call the Wednesday before the show aired asking if they could release my win to the local press. I obviously told them yes, though I didn't tell them whom to contact.

That Friday, still 3 days before the show aired, I got a call from the Reading Eagle newspaper. I presume CBS contacted them because the address I gave them to ship the prizes to was my dad's address in Reading, PA, which is very close to where I grew up. It was a rather light conversation. The reporter told me she was explicitly told she couldn't ask me about whether I got on stage, what I won, etc. But she'd call me back after the show aired to ask me about it. I joked with her that since I live in Prague and we don't get The Price is Right on TV here, she'd have to tell me how I did :).

She called back Monday afternoon with some bad news: she had set her DVR to the wrong date so she wouldn't be able to watch the episode until it was put on the CBS website that evening. D'oh! So I had to tell her what I won. That's when we had a 30 minute conversation about everything that happend from being in line to getting called to getting on stage.

Question 5 (from the Reading Eagle reporter but not answered in the article):
Do you want to be on any other game shows?

I'd love to be on Wheel of Fortune. I've auditioned for that, but haven't yet taken me. I've also auditioned for The Chase (USA) and taken the on-line Jeopardy! test a bunch of times, but nothing has yet come from those either.  Back in college, I tried passing the phone test to get on the original Who Wants to be a Millionaire with Regis Philbin; I did get past the first round a couple of times, but never got called back for round two. So The Price is Right was my first game show appearance. But hopefully not my last!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:29:45 AM by LiteBulb88 »

Offline SanAnMan

• In Contestant's Row
  • Always look on the bright side of life.
Re: Ask me anything about my appearance
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 09:32:07 AM »
I have been a contestant on Wheel of Fortune, way back in the '90s. I could be wrong on this, but I think being a contestant on any other game show will make you ineligible from other game shows for a period of time. It's something I remember WoF asking on the contestant forms.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 10:28:55 AM »
Congrats! How'd you do on the show? As for eligibility, it looks like you can't have been on any game show in the previous year to go on Wheel:

https://www.wheeloffortune.com/be-a-contestant

(Scroll to the very bottom of that page.)

Perhaps, though, my favorite part of the WoF eligibility rules is this:

Quote from: Wheel of Fortune eligibility rules
Participant is not eligible to be a contestant on the Show if Participant has appeared on any version of the Show (including the daytime version with Pat Sajak, Chuck Woolery, Bob Goen or any other hosts), Teen Week, or Wheel 2000).

It's like they prefer to pretend Rolf Benirschke just never existed by lumping him in with "any other hosts."

Offline SanAnMan

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 10:45:58 AM »
Quote from: LiteBulb88
Congrats! How'd you do on the show?
Not too shabby, I won almost $6000 in cash but got beat out on the last puzzle of the day. I think my biggest downfall was that the wheel was not kind to me; I kept landing on small dollar amounts. Remember back in these days, they had much smaller amounts on the wheel. Used the cash to fund my first used car I ever owned.

Anyhow, if you're curious, video evidence of the episode in question exists on YT. I was in the blue position.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6amRLwz-Dw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6amRLwz-Dw</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhVl3_vcHuU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhVl3_vcHuU</a>

Offline mrbrown2195

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 09:43:02 PM »
Interesting that they no longer offer a copy of your show for sale. When I appeared in 2013, they gave us an option to purchase it on DVD or Blu-Ray. It was ripped directly from KCBS, complete with network bugs, but professionally packaged.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me

Offline SanAnMan

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 08:25:26 AM »
Interesting that they no longer offer a copy of your show for sale. When I appeared in 2013, they gave us an option to purchase it on DVD or Blu-Ray. It was ripped directly from KCBS, complete with network bugs, but professionally packaged.
That would be because neither DVD nor Blu-Ray had been invented yet in 1993. Back then they didn't even bother to offer us a VCR copy of the episode.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 08:30:41 AM »
I think mrbrown2195 is referring to my appearance on TPiR. In the paperwork they gave me, it explicitly states that they don't offer any sold copies of the show; instead, I needed to find a way to record it. (And major shout out to htmlcc92 for sending me his high quality recording of the episode!) It sounds like in 2013, TPiR contestants could buy a copy of the show they were called down for.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 10:47:37 AM »
I think mrbrown2195 is referring to my appearance on TPiR. In the paperwork they gave me, it explicitly states that they don't offer any sold copies of the show; instead, I needed to find a way to record it. (And major shout out to htmlcc92 for sending me his high quality recording of the episode!) It sounds like in 2013, TPiR contestants could buy a copy of the show they were called down for.

You're welcome! I've been happy that the computer I use to record television from over-the-air with a USB dongle has behaved the last couple months, including for your appearance. That's unlike a while back when the computer would freeze and not record (it's in the shop in our backyard which is kind of insulated - the shop only gets down to the 30s for example when the outside is in the 20s!)

One random question for you - I am assuming because of how consistent it sounds that the Fremantle plug is pre-recorded, probably from years back. But is the plug actually played in the studio, or is that added for television broadcast? It always seems that we don't see George walking toward the contestant wherever they happen to be until after the plug is played.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 11:33:21 AM »
If the inside of your shop ever does go below 32 degrees, that would give new meaning to the term "frozen computer," wouldn't it?  8-) 8-) As for your question, I unfortunately don't remember--I wasn't paying attention at the end of either show I was at to say with any certainty the Fremantle production plug was given or not.

BTW, update on the prizes: the "surprise" from Best Buy arrived yesterday, and it was the iPod Touch. So here's the current prizes received status:

IUFB:
Headphones: Received 5/9 directly from Audio Technica, 24 days after the air date. It included 3 pairs of AT over ear Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones and 1 pair of AT Bluetooth ear buds.

iPod Touch: Received 5/13 from Best Buy, 28 days after the air date. 2 days earlier, I got an e-mail from Best Buy saying Lauren Siefer, prize fulfillment director of The Price is Right, was sending me a "surprise."

SPs from Master Key:
Coleman utility light: No word.

Sonic Waterpik:  No word.

Main prizes from Master Key:
Hangry Kits snack kits: No word.

House cleaning: Came as a check; received 5/6, 21 days after the air date. The check was for $388.38. The house cleaning was worth $2080 ($80 * 26 sessions of house cleaning), but 7% California tax on everything I won was taken out of that amount. (NB: had I not won anything that was treated as cash, I would have had to send a check to CBS for 7% of the value of everything I won before they released any prizes. The 7% deduction does not apply to CA residents, as they'll pay it when they file their state taxes next year.)

Kia Forte FE: No word.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:39:18 AM by LiteBulb88 »

Offline mrbrown2195

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 12:23:05 PM »
That would be because neither DVD nor Blu-Ray had been invented yet in 1993. Back then they didn't even bother to offer us a VCR copy of the episode.

...surely you're trolling? :lol: If not, I said 2013, not 1993. I'm old, but I ain't that old!

Yeah, we were given an option to purchase it. I got the impression it was a third party, not directly associated with CBS or the show, that offered copies, but they gave us a form to order it as part of our package of paperwork at the end of the show and it was "blessed" by the powers that be. They weren't very reasonably priced, though (I'm thinking I paid $30 for mine).
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 03:44:14 PM »
One random question for you - I am assuming because of how consistent it sounds that the Fremantle plug is pre-recorded, probably from years back. But is the plug actually played in the studio, or is that added for television broadcast? It always seems that we don't see George walking toward the contestant wherever they happen to be until after the plug is played.

The prerecorded plug is not played in the studio -- it's simply added in post. I assume that in the booth, they're timing how long it usually takes from Drew's sign-off until the plug would be played, then cuing George to move toward the winner after the appropriate amount of time has elapsed, but I never spent much time in the booth, so that's a guess.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Criminal copyright infringement, including infringement without monetary gain, is investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to 5 years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 03:52:12 PM »
I did notice there was a stagehand (the constantly enthusiastic woman with glasses who holds up the cue cards) who literally blocked the top of the steps leading from contestants' row to the stage after it was revealed that Sharon won the showcase. This was clearly to keep Sharon's friends and family from getting on stage too soon. I wonder if that has to do with adding the plug in or if it's just that she didn't want the friends and family getting to the prizes before Sharon did.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 10:23:48 PM »
I got the impression it was a third party, not directly associated with CBS or the show, that offered copies, but they gave us a form to order it as part of our package of paperwork at the end of the show and it was "blessed" by the powers that be. They weren't very reasonably priced, though (I'm thinking I paid $30 for mine).

If it was the KCBS aircheck, that probably came from a "monitoring service" that records over-the-air signals of local TV stations, primarily for PR firms that want to keep track of what kind of news coverage their clients are getting.  Last year there was a court verdict called the "TV Eyes" case that muddied up whether this kind of service was legal.  It's possible that's why the show no longer offers that option.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 10:29:54 PM »
If the inside of your shop ever does go below 32 degrees, that would give new meaning to the term "frozen computer," wouldn't it?  8-) 8-) As for your question, I unfortunately don't remember--I wasn't paying attention at the end of either show I was at to say with any certainty the Fremantle production plug was given or not.

Haha, yeah, definitely don't want a computer that's that frozen!

Quote from: MSTieScott
The prerecorded plug is not played in the studio -- it's simply added in post. I assume that in the booth, they're timing how long it usually takes from Drew's sign-off until the plug would be played, then cuing George to move toward the winner after the appropriate amount of time has elapsed, but I never spent much time in the booth, so that's a guess.

Thanks for that!
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline Hoop

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 01:41:13 PM »
What to you think why they picked you? Thatís a question I get asked. If I recall correctly they said you were a teacher.