Author Topic: Misconceptions you have had about game shows  (Read 9844 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: Misconceptions you have had about game shows
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2019, 09:58:06 PM »
This isn't exactly a misconception, but it still merits mentioning: On the 80s PYL, I always wondered why the players looked down and across so often. It wasn't until much later that I realized that there were scoreboards on the rotating island that allowed everyone to see their scores and spins!
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
Re: Misconceptions you have had about game shows
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2019, 12:38:01 PM »
I had always been confused about climbing money ladders.

For example, with Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? I thought if the contestant won the $1 million at the end, that that was $1 million added on to everything until then. Same for smaller amounts, like the $250,000 question would add $250,000 to whatever was won up until then, not replacing what they won until then with $250,000 as is the case.

This isn't helped by the fact that, using the current version as an example, in the Pyramid, a first trip to the winner's circle is for $50,000, then the second is worth an additional $100,000, meaning you can win $150,000 in a night.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.