Author Topic: 2019 NBA Finals (Canadian vs. American Edition)  (Read 6845 times)

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
2019 NBA Finals (Canadian vs. American Edition)
« on: May 26, 2019, 11:25:20 AM »
After four years of the same two teams in the NBA Finals in a row, finally we get something different in the Eastern Conference.

For the first time in NBA history, a Canadian team is in the finals and the Toronto Raptors will take on the Golden State Warriors on May 30th in Toronto. The Raptors won the season series 2-0, but the Finals won't be anything like the regular season.

Who will win the championship trophy this year (and in how many games)? Personally I'd like to see the Raptors do it, but this could be a series that may go the distance.

One thing I will guarantee is that the ratings in Canada will go through the roof (and that Sportsnet/TSN will use their own feed when the Raptors play their games).

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2019 NBA Finals (Canadian vs. American Edition)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 11:51:25 AM »
The gamble of trading for one season of Kawhi definitely paid off for the Raptors. The ratings will likely get a boost in general with the presence of Drake along with the Kawhi vs Thompson or Durant matchup.

As for a prediction, I still say Warriors in 6 even if Durant is not 100% and misses at least the first game or 2.

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 02:48:47 AM »
I predict the Warriors will sweep the Raptors.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 11:39:25 AM »
Expect this to be a back-and-forth series, but inevitably, Golden State comes out top, allowing the Americans to exact revenge on Toronto for the Blue Jays' back-to-back World Series wins from 1992 and '93.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 03:33:23 PM »
Even if Durant doesn't play at all? I believe he's not playing at least in the first two.

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 11:54:57 PM »

Raptors win game 1 but I will gladly eat crow.  Hopefully the Raptors can win three more and pull off the big upset.  There hasn't been a big upset in the Finals since the 2004 Pistons best the heavily favored Lakers.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 11:00:28 PM »
Well the third quarter made the difference for game 2 and even with an effort to make a comeback, it fell just short for the Raptors as a lot of shots didn't go down and the Warriors win 109-104 to tie the series at 1-1. Well at least they do return home for game 5, but now they will face a difficult task to win on the road in Oakland at the Warriors' home arena.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 11:50:54 PM »
Just one more win, that's all they need for the Raptors to win their first ever NBA championship title and the first to win north of the border after winning both games on the road. Game 5 goes Monday night in Toronto, and only once has a team overcome a 3-1 deficit in the NBA Finals which the Cleveland Cavaliers did in 2016.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 03:53:34 AM »
Just one more win, that's all they need for the Raptors to win their first ever NBA championship title and the first to win north of the border after winning both games on the road. Game 5 goes Monday night in Toronto, and only once has a team overcome a 3-1 deficit in the NBA Finals which the Cleveland Cavaliers did in 2016.

I'm pulling for Toronto-- they have three chances to do it, and I hope they don't squander 'em; I don't need an NBA Patriots on top of the NFL Patriots (and yes, that Patriot win over Atlanta in Super Bowl 51 still rankles)!

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 11:42:24 PM »
Raptors with a 6 point lead with 3 minutes to play and choke it away.  Golden State wins and game 6 will be played in Oakland Thursday night.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 12:06:32 AM »
That was so close, but they were down early to begin with, at one point by double digits. Those shots just wouldn't go down including the potential game winner and title. Well as they say the 4th win is always the toughest...

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 11:36:07 PM »
The NBA just confirmed that there was a missed call late in the 4th quarter that should have given Marc Gasol to shoot two (and even the game winner) in game 5. How unfortunate...

Meanwhile it appears that Kevin Durant is going to be out for the rest of the series with a possible Achilles injury (and it wasn't really nice for the fans to jeer him when he re-injured).

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 12:00:29 AM »
The Raptors did it!  For the first time in their 24 year history, they are NBA Champions!  They become the first Canadian team to win a championship in the four major pro sports leagues since the 1993 Toronto Blue Jays won the MLB World Series.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 06:23:33 AM »
Sure, anytime a Toronto team makes the championship round, it comes out a winner. Coincidentally, the Raptors clinched the title in the last-ever NBA game played in Oakland, because the Warriors are moving back to San Francisco after 49 years.

Also, the Raptors' first NBA championship came just one night after the St. Louis Blues won their first Stanley Cup. I think this is the shortest period of time for two different teams to win their first-ever championships in their respective leagues.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 07:17:33 AM »
Sure, anytime a Toronto team makes the championship round, it comes out a winner. Coincidentally, the Raptors clinched the title in the last-ever NBA game played in Oakland, because the Warriors are moving back to San Francisco after 49 years.

Are the Warriors going to still be called the Golden State Warriors, even after their return to San Francisco?