Author Topic: Question about Buzzr's game shows  (Read 7235 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Question about Buzzr's game shows
« on: May 26, 2019, 04:38:27 PM »
Does anybody know what happened to LMAD, Child's Play, Now You See It, and Dawson Feud? Buzzr aired them at different times throughout the years but I don't see them on the schedule anymore. Perhaps they're just taking a break and these shows will reappear in the future?
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Question about Buzzr's game shows
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 04:53:35 PM »
LMAD, no clue on that, but I'd assume CBS has something to do with it (where they have the first-run shows with Wayne Brady).

Child's Play, not sure.

Now You See It, is still on the lineup, but is on weekend overnights, late Saturday/early Sunday, from 4 am to 5 am.

Dawson Feud is probably just on a break (it was on until just a week or so ago).

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 08:14:12 PM »
LMAD, no clue on that, but I'd assume CBS has something to do with it (where they have the first-run shows with Wayne Brady).

Why would CBS have anything to do with it? The shows in question (1984-86) were airing on Buzzr long after CBS brought back LMAD in '09. It wasn't a problem then, so it shouldn't be a problem now. Besides, Fremantle own both Buzzr and LMAD. That should make things easier, shouldn't it?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:28:30 PM by tpir04 »

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 09:43:40 PM »
Why would CBS have anything to do with it? The shows in question (1984-86) were airing on Buzzr long after CBS brought back LMAD in '09. It wasn't a problem then, so it shouldn't be a problem now. Besides, Fremantle own both Buzzr and LMAD. That should make things easier, shouldn't it?
It would be a problem if they were afraid of the reruns (be they 1970s or 1980s shows) siphoning ratings away from the current run. I've also heard that as a reason why the plug was pulled on TPIR on GSN in 2000.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 10:23:25 PM »
It would be a problem if they were afraid of the reruns (be they 1970s or 1980s shows) siphoning ratings away from the current run. I've also heard that as a reason why the plug was pulled on TPIR on GSN in 2000.

I think we're long past the point of anybody caring that the reruns will bite into the Brady LMAD fan base. The show has been alive and well for the past ten years. The same argument can be made for TPIR.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 10:41:43 PM »
I think we're long past the point of anybody caring that the reruns will bite into the Brady LMAD fan base. The show has been alive and well for the past ten years. The same argument can be made for TPIR.

I think not everyone would agree with either of these opinions.

/Speaking only for myself, I don't think we're "well past" that point at all with either show. Full disclosure, I don't watch the Brady LMaD, and I catch TPiR on TV when I go to lunch some days--but slap a Barker episode someplace else, and I'll tune in somehow, basically no questions asked. Same for the Kennedy show and even the Davidson shows. Why? Because they're a welcome change of pace (literally and figuratively) from what we see weekdays at 11AM. In my case, I dislike that the show is so horribly rushed, and as much as I want to enjoy him as a host, I just don't enjoy his hosting style quite as much. It's not that he does anything wrong, it's just a matter of my personal taste.

The common element? The old shows have whimsical charm and come from an era when their MCs were professional hosts who knew what they were doing, and not stand-up comics who would just go for the cheap laugh every time.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:43:57 PM by ThomHuge »

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 09:03:44 AM »
Alright, fair enough. Everybody is entitled to an opinion. If that's the case, then, why do Match Game 7X reruns continue to air on GSN and Buzzr when there is a revival on ABC? Shouldn't MG 7X be shelved for the same reason?

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 09:26:31 AM »
Alright, fair enough. Everybody is entitled to an opinion. If that's the case, then, why do Match Game 7X reruns continue to air on GSN and Buzzr when there is a revival on ABC? Shouldn't MG 7X be shelved for the same reason?

Question--when do episodes of LMaD'09 air? When do episodes of TPiR air? And when do episodes of MG'16 air?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 09:43:07 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. Is it because MG '16 airs in primetime and not daytime?

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 10:03:15 AM »
The current run of Match Game airs only in the summer and in January-February one day a week, so airing older episodes during the daytime hours on a regular basis wouldn't siphon viewers away from tuning into see the current run on ABC in primetime.  Also, Buzzr actually cross-promotes the current Match Game on their social media and TV ad breaks.  I think they even aired at least one 2016 episode during a recent marathon, to boot.

Because Price and Let's Make a Deal air in daytime on a more frequent basis, there is the risk that viewers would be enticed to see a Barker Price episode or a more recent Let's Make a Deal episode with Monty Hall rather than tune in and support the current shows.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 10:12:51 AM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 10:04:14 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. Is it because MG '16 airs in primetime and not daytime?

LMaD'09 and TPiR both air shows every day, and usually only people who are really paying attention can tell the difference between a new show and a rerun. By contrast, last time I checked MG'16 was airing weekly; that means there's inherently less risk in letting viewers tune in to see Gene Rayburn the rest of the week.

There's enough scarcity of the current format that the old ones could help maintain interest until the next episode of the new show comes on. You can't say that about PiR and LMaD. Regardless of what you show you are, it's a lot easier to get overexposed if you're on the air five days a week.

EDIT: goldroadfanatic's post appeared while I was typing and it makes my point better than I did.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 10:31:29 AM »
Ah, now I understand. Essentially, by not airing the reruns yet, a Millionaire-type downfall is being prevented. Thanks to the both of you for clarifying! (Thanks to blozier, too.)  ;)

My next question, while we're here: What do you think is the possibility of Buzzr acquiring some Barry & Enright game shows? I believe I read somewhere that Sony Pictures owns most of the library, so I don't know if that would complicate things.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 10:35:18 AM »
My next question, while we're here: What do you think is the possibility of Buzzr acquiring some Barry & Enright game shows? I believe I read somewhere that Sony Pictures owns most of the library, so I don't know if that would complicate things.
Zero chance, precisely because Sony owns it.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 04:52:38 PM »
LMaD'09 and TPiR both air shows every day, and usually only people who are really paying attention can tell the difference between a new show and a rerun. By contrast, last time I checked MG'16 was airing weekly; that means there's inherently less risk in letting viewers tune in to see Gene Rayburn the rest of the week.

There's enough scarcity of the current format that the old ones could help maintain interest until the next episode of the new show comes on. You can't say that about PiR and LMaD. Regardless of what you show you are, it's a lot easier to get overexposed if you're on the air five days a week.

EDIT: goldroadfanatic's post appeared while I was typing and it makes my point better than I did.

I also think that given how iconic MG 7X is.....going back to the GSN days, if they pulled it from the network(s), there'd be a HUGE fan backlash. I don't think they'd wanna risk that. MG 7X has been off the air at all in 25 years since GSN hit the air I don't believe, though correct me if I'm wrong. That's a lot of history, and lot of people to piss off for a show that only just came back to TV as it is a few years ago.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 05:43:56 PM »
MG 7X has been off the air at all in 25 years since GSN hit the air I don't believe, though correct me if I'm wrong.
Dark period, October 1997 to April 1998.