Author Topic: Question about Buzzr's game shows  (Read 7082 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Question about Buzzr's game shows
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 06:18:17 PM »
Dark period, October 1997 to April 1998.

It wasn't one of the few shows exempt? I thought it was, but guess not then. I stand corrected.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 06:20:47 PM »
It wasn't one of the few shows exempt? I thought it was, but guess not then. I stand corrected.
Only shows exempt were TPIR and FF94 (due to being on separate contracts)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 06:24:32 PM »
Only shows exempt were TPIR and FF94 (due to being on separate contracts)

Yeah I just did fact check that. As I said, mea culpa on my part, thanks for the correction. :)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 06:57:24 PM »
The current run of Match Game airs only in the summer and in January-February one day a week, so airing older episodes during the daytime hours on a regular basis wouldn't siphon viewers away from tuning into see the current run on ABC in primetime.  Also, Buzzr actually cross-promotes the current Match Game on their social media and TV ad breaks.  I think they even aired at least one 2016 episode during a recent marathon, to boot.

Because Price and Let's Make a Deal air in daytime on a more frequent basis, there is the risk that viewers would be enticed to see a Barker Price episode or a more recent Let's Make a Deal episode with Monty Hall rather than tune in and support the current shows.

Yep.

I’d also add despite their similarities, Match Game ‘73 and Match Game ‘19 appeal to very different audiences.

Outside the game show faithful, few know who Fanny Flagg or Brett Somers are—they’re famous because they appeared on Match Game. If you’re tuning in, it’s because you already know who those people are.

Match Game 2019 OTOH is more of a one-off “event”, with modern celebs, the sort that probably wouldn’t commit to several five-day-a-week takings.

Price and LMaD don’t get a boost from “celeb power” like Match Game or Pyramid. They rely on the variety of games and contestants to stay fresh.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 07:24:13 PM »
Yep.

I’d also add despite their similarities, Match Game ‘73 and Match Game ‘19 appeal to very different audiences.

Outside the game show faithful, few know who Fanny Flagg or Brett Somers are—they’re famous because they appeared on Match Game. If you’re tuning in, it’s because you already know who those people are.

Match Game 2019 OTOH is more of a one-off “event”, with modern celebs, the sort that probably wouldn’t commit to several five-day-a-week takings.

Price and LMaD don’t get a boost from “celeb power” like Match Game or Pyramid. They rely on the variety of games and contestants to stay fresh.

That's a good point too. Didn't even think about that. Same reason I imagine the original Hollywood Squares was allowed to coexist with the then current run for those couple years in the early 2000's, before what had become H2 was cancelled in 04.