Author Topic: Cullen-era TPiR episodes coming to BUZZR  (Read 11124 times)

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Cullen-era TPiR episodes coming to BUZZR
« on: May 27, 2019, 03:17:24 PM »
From the BUZZR Facebook page:

"#BUZZR is celebrating our 4th birthday with BLACK AND WHITE episodes of #ThePriceIsRight... Stay tuned for details coming soon!"

They also have a 4 minute preview of an episode. You can see it here:

https://www.facebook.com/BUZZRtv/

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Re: Cullen-era TPiR episodes coming to BUZZR
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 01:29:40 PM »
I'm pretty sure it will be the eps GSN played way back when. I wonder if Buzzr may either uncover other episodes or tap into those on YouTube (at least the ones without cigarette sponsor tags).
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 01:54:35 PM »
They have about 70 episodes, give or take a few, in their possession.

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 02:03:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure it will be the eps GSN played way back when. I wonder if Buzzr may either uncover other episodes or tap into those on YouTube (at least the ones without cigarette sponsor tags).

They've posted an I've Got a Secret episode with cig ads on Social Media recently.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 11:37:21 PM »
What are the rules on airing episodes with  cigarette advertisements?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 11:50:09 PM »
I'd assume "don't do it", but I wouldn't swear to it.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 11:46:51 AM »
Well, this is a start! Having the original TPIR on should be of interest to those who weren't familiar with that version and thought that it started with Barker. (BTW, it's a bit ironic that the Cullen edition began at almost the same time as Barker's first TV series, Truth or Consequences.)

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 12:01:54 PM »
They have about 70 episodes, give or take a few, in their possession.
How do you know that? I am fairly certain that GSN aired way more than 70 episodes of Cullen Price.

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 12:11:31 PM »
There was an alt.tv.game-shows post made way back in the late 90's about that, but I'm having trouble finding it.

Offline vnisanian2001

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 01:05:55 PM »
UPDATE: I found it.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.tv.game-shows/uV0oykzQvSQ/jb9MKjq5X8YJ
That is by no means official. I am fairly sure that more than 70 episodes can be aired. I would rather hear from Fremantle themselves as to what they have or don't have overall rather than the number of episodes GSN aired.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 09:16:44 PM »
I'd assume "don't do it", but I wouldn't swear to it.

Honestly, I don't know what the rule is. GSN aired a portion of Winston ads back in the day (early 2000's) with seemingly no problem, but haven't when they've aired the series since 2006. I don't know if those shows were preceded with some message about smoking.

Worth noting that the episode Buzzr posted on FB featured a Surgeon General's message in the info. That could be the answer to what the rule is. To just warn against it.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 09:53:50 PM »
Honestly, I don't know what the rule is. GSN aired a portion of Winston ads back in the day (early 2000's) with seemingly no problem, but haven't when they've aired the series since 2006.
Two things to note...
1. GSN is a cable network, Buzzr is over-the-air, thus Buzzr is under stricter rules than GSN is.
2. There's no restrictions on uploading to the internet, thus a good way of sidestepping broadcast regulations.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 09:57:45 PM »
Just from my perspective as a journalism major, cigarette ads are most certainly a no-no today, which we all know that.  However, given the ads in question were intended for an audience some 50+ years ago, in addition to their historic value, I don’t believe it would be a problem for them to be aired.  It’s doubtful any reasonable person would confuse the ‘advertisements’ as being intended for them, at least in my opinion.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2019, 02:48:55 PM »
Just from my perspective as a journalism major, cigarette ads are most certainly a no-no today, which we all know that.  However, given the ads in question were intended for an audience some 50+ years ago, in addition to their historic value, I don’t believe it would be a problem for them to be aired.  It’s doubtful any reasonable person would confuse the ‘advertisements’ as being intended for them, at least in my opinion.

Very true! These cigarette ads were part of historical broadcasts from way-back-when; it's not like cigarettes are still being advertised today.