Author Topic: Cullen-era TPiR episodes coming to BUZZR  (Read 11029 times)

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Cullen-era TPiR episodes coming to BUZZR
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2019, 04:56:26 PM »
Just from my perspective as a journalism major, cigarette ads are most certainly a no-no today, which we all know that.  However, given the ads in question were intended for an audience some 50+ years ago, in addition to their historic value, I don’t believe it would be a problem for them to be aired.

I don't know too many owners who would want to stake their broadcast licenses on that.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2019, 07:22:34 PM »
I don't know too many owners who would want to stake their broadcast licenses on that.

It’s probably a good thing I don’t own a television station then. :P

Historical context is key.  The shows in question aired decades ago.  Their associated advertisements are deals that were made decades ago and are completely and totally null and void today — no new deals are being struck with the cigarette corporations, certainly.  The entire broadcast(s), minus present day ad inserts, are of a noticeably different era in history and would, presumably, be viewed as such to virtually all viewers, ads and all.

It would help if there was a precedent set as for whether or not such ads have been allowed to be shown alongside the shows they accompanied via direct sponsorship.  A couple of quick Google searches reveals very little, and it’s quite possible no network has ever even tried, especially given how low of demand exists for such dated programs to be rebroadcast.  In such a case, it might just be easier to not air such shows at all than to go through the hassle of getting permission from the FCC.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2019, 07:54:40 PM »
Though, for what it's worth, I've also observed many, many skipped episodes of Buzzr's other B&W programming (I've Got a Secret and To Tell The Truth being the primary offenders here), and I'd almost be willing to bet that's a direct consequence of embedded cigarette advertising rendering the entire episode unfit for current OTA broadcast (the fact that many of the "skips" are on an every-other-episode basis with the "aired" episodes on Buzzr makes me think some kind of alternating-week sponsorship was in place).

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2019, 09:43:23 PM »

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 05:48:27 PM »
Apparently, they're a special series of showings. On June 30, they have a block of What's My Line?, I've Got A Secret and Body Language scheduled from 4 to 8 Eastern.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 06:47:20 PM »
Apparently, they're a special series of showings. On June 30, they have a block of What's My Line?, I've Got A Secret and Body Language scheduled from 4 to 8 Eastern.
Actually, that day's festivities run from 4 to 11 eastern.

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 07:46:37 PM »
Actually, that day's festivities run from 4 to 11 eastern.
Do you mean 4 pm-11 pm eastern or 4 am-11 am eastern?
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 08:23:44 PM »
Do you mean 4 pm-11 pm eastern or 4 am-11 am eastern?
4 pm to 11 pm eastern.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 10:54:28 AM »
Apologies for the bump, but starting in October, Cullen TPIR joins the regular lineup. Sundays at 4:00pm.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1_hSXHn-d_/

Online tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 11:17:12 AM »
Also, LMAD returns to the lineup, airing weekdays at 7:30pm. I would assume they're simply swapping LMAD for Temptation.

Hoping that this is an omen for the Barker eps to finally get on the lineup.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 11:19:32 AM by tpir04 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 11:58:30 AM »
I'm glad to hear that at least TPIR will be on Buzzr, even if it's not the more familiar version that turned 47 today. (However, I'm still holding out hope that Barker, or the estate in case he dies, will finally allow his episodes to be re-aired in some form.)

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2019, 12:05:17 PM »
Also, LMAD returns to the lineup, airing weekdays at 7:30pm. I would assume they're simply swapping LMAD for Temptation.

Hoping that this is an omen for the Barker eps to finally get on the lineup.

I'm actually hoping it's an omen for the 1972-1977 Dennis James-era TPiR to join the Buzzr lineup.

In any case, any idea which version of Monty's LMaD will air? Or would I be correct to presume that such is unknown as of yet?

Brian

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2019, 12:27:38 PM »
I'm actually hoping it's an omen for the 1972-1977 Dennis James-era TPiR to join the Buzzr lineup.
Either that or the 1980s Tom Kennedy version; after all, they showed Body Language in the past. Those would be the next-best thing to having Barker on the air again.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2019, 03:35:27 PM »
Either that or the 1980s Tom Kennedy version; after all, they showed Body Language in the past. Those would be the next-best thing to having Barker on the air again.

Was his full season run aired on GSN? Or only a portion of it?

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2019, 04:14:35 PM »
I think most of his episodes were run on GSN, but I don't think the whole season was fully rerun. I could be wrong though...