Author Topic: It had to happen eventually, but why so soon?  (Read 14671 times)

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: It had to happen eventually, but why so soon?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2019, 12:45:41 AM »
The OP of this thread is shameful.

I didn't know this until this leak happened, but it looks like Jeopardy is routinely posted a day early (or a couple days early for a Monday episode) on certain sites. Apparently the raw copies sent to TV stations for syndication airing have a leak somewhere. For example, the last two episodes, yesterday's & today's, have gone up at 11pm the night before.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2019, 03:51:05 PM »
One major detail you overlooked... in Season 1, there was a 5-day cap, as well as a $75,000-cash cap. Both of which he conceivably could've hit without even trying.

The 5 day cap is probably more of an issue, since the amounts were also lower (which would make lower winning totals overall).

Also makes you wonder if any of the 5 day champions from those earlier years could have been just as good in the long run but simply didn't get the chance to show it off.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2019, 03:58:09 PM »
Also makes you wonder if any of the 5 day champions from those earlier years could have been just as good in the long run but simply didn't get the chance to show it off.
Possibly Chuck Forrest and Frank Spangenberg, but beyond that I'm not positive.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2019, 03:59:39 PM »
Possibly Chuck Forrest and Frank Spangenberg, but beyond that I'm not positive.
And of course Brad Rutter. He's won every tournament since the Million Dollar Masters, just imagine if there was no 5 day limit when he originally appeared.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2019, 05:56:14 PM »
The show isn't fixed. He got beat, plain and simple. It was only a matter of time before someone else caught onto how James was playing and used his skills against him.
Agreed, Emma beat James fair and square.
Jay Williams

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2019, 06:03:40 PM »
That he'll be back for the Tournament of Champions is a no-brainer. But how will he wager on Daily Doubles and Final seeing as how money scores in Tournament play are really just virtual points?
Let me point this out, James Holzhauer will be the man to beat in the next Tournament of Champions next season. Plus, I would not be surprised if Jeopardy! staged another Ultimate Tournament of Champions next season as well which would consist of winners of five or more games, T of C, Teen, College and Teachers tournaments since May of 2005 with the show's top two Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings would get the byes to the semifinals and James Holzhauer getting a straight pass to the finals. The last four standing in this UTOC would join Brad and Ken in the semis and those two semi winners meeting James in the Finals.
Jay Williams

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2019, 06:27:29 PM »
Let me point this out, James Holzhauer will be the man to beat in the next Tournament of Champions next season. Plus, I would not be surprised if Jeopardy! staged another Ultimate Tournament of Champions next season as well which would consist of winners of five or more games, T of C, Teen, College and Teachers tournaments since May of 2005 with the show's top two Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings would get the byes to the semifinals and James Holzhauer getting a straight pass to the finals. The last four standing in this UTOC would join Brad and Ken in the semis and those two semi winners meeting James in the Finals.
For a proposed second Jeopardy! Ultimate Tournament of Champions, the field would consist of 111 former champions consisting of 14 Teen champs, 7 Teachers champs, 12 College champs, 9 T of C champs and the 66 top money winners of five or more games plus of course Brad and Ken (who would wait until the semifinals) and James H. (who would wait until the finals).
Jay Williams

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2019, 06:29:46 PM »
Let me point this out, James Holzhauer will be the man to beat in the next Tournament of Champions next season.

I hate to nitpick, but you don't know that. Who's to say that another player might not come along and beat him? (Point being...it's likely that you're right but it's not a known fact at this time.)

Plus, I would not be surprised if Jeopardy! staged another Ultimate Tournament of Champions next season as well which would consist of winners of five or more games, T of C, Teen, College and Teachers tournaments since May of 2005 with the show's top two Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings would get the byes to the semifinals and James Holzhauer getting a straight pass to the finals. The last four standing in this UTOC would join Brad and Ken in the semis and those two semi winners meeting James in the Finals.

...what?

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2019, 06:30:54 PM »
For a proposed second Jeopardy! Ultimate Tournament of Champions, the field would consist of 111 former champions consisting of 14 Teen champs, 7 Teachers champs, 12 College champs, 9 T of C champs and the 66 top money winners of five or more games plus of course Brad and Ken (who would wait until the semifinals) and James H. (who would wait until the finals).

Again...what?

Seriously, where are you coming up with all this? A field of 111 players would be insane. A ToC with that many people would stretch on for months, if not years.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2019, 06:35:37 PM »
Again...what?

Seriously, where are you coming up with all this? A field of 111 players would be insane. A ToC with that many people would stretch on for months, if not years.

Hey, the one before had 145, so it's not THAT far fetched.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2019, 06:44:35 PM »
Hey, the one before had 145, so it's not THAT far fetched.

Maybe, but even if so it's the only thing about this notion that isn't.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2019, 07:14:52 PM »
Maybe, but even if so it's the only thing about this notion that isn't.

What other issues would you have with it? Apart from that?

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2019, 07:20:30 PM »
Again...what?

ThomHuge, it was just an idea that I had and thought to what that show did after Ken Jennings' run back in 2005. And, I figured that this tournament would run 59 shows (12 weeks).
Jay Williams

Offline AussieEvil

• Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2019, 07:54:54 PM »
Personally, I would LOVE an UToC II.
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2019, 08:44:13 PM »
What other issues would you have with it? Apart from that?

"I wouldn't be surprised if they" carried out a laundry list of extremely specific and random things. And this comes after the same user posted something as fact that he has no way to know as fact without a crystal ball. That's my issue. jaywilliams has a history of off-the-wall posts, and this looks like just more of the same.