Author Topic: Is it time to give HYO another try?  (Read 124942 times)

Offline Mr. Weatherman

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Is it time to give HYO another try?
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2019, 09:21:36 PM »
Let’s just forget the 12 hour suggestion was ever made, shall we?  :lol:
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2019, 09:23:38 PM »
I am definitely in favour with resurrecting it and I do like the proposed changes and rules. As to the whole response time debate should that maybe be left up to the host?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2019, 09:59:02 PM »
Let’s just forget the 12 hour suggestion was ever made, shall we?  :lol:

Agreed.  ;)
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2019, 12:44:30 PM »
I wish I could say I’d have more new ideas to add, but, to continue this important discussion, I would like to say I’m in favor of more Weekly Pricing Games and half-hour shows, as those require less time and contestants. And as I said, I’ve been working on a half-hour script the past few days, and it’s finished at this moment. As such, I truly believe they’d be a great way to get the revamped HYO thread off to a good start so that no one regrets it coming back. However, regardless, I also believe bringing back HYO will be successful, and I think the morale and participation of this forum will be all the better for it.  :-)
Stop the madness.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2019, 05:57:33 PM »
I'll chime in later when I have more time- but I too have toyed with rebooting the section. It's been a long time since I've hosted a show, and have that itch... plus I'm sitting on several unused graphics that I'd finally like to use.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2019, 07:36:59 PM »
I'll chime in later when I have more time- but I too have toyed with rebooting the section. It's been a long time since I've hosted a show, and have that itch... plus I'm sitting on several unused graphics that I'd finally like to use.

I really enjoyed reading your old shows, so I sure hope you can get around to it!

By the way, does anyone have a simple way to figure out prices of trips? I tried doing some research but it was too mind-numbing. Thanks!

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2019, 07:54:17 PM »
I really enjoyed reading your old shows, so I sure hope you can get around to it!

By the way, does anyone have a simple way to figure out prices of trips? I tried doing some research but it was too mind-numbing. Thanks!

Cost of airfare + cost of lodging + whatever other anemities you want to throw in (especially if you're playing a game where you need to fine-tune the price to a specific number)

Trip advisor sites help a ton, especially resources like Google Flights and individual airports' and hotel websites.

But remember--if it's simple for you to figure out, it's also simple for somebody else to figure out, so don't give away too much of the special sauce
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Mr. Weatherman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2019, 09:23:11 PM »
But remember--if it's simple for you to figure out, it's also simple for somebody else to figure out, so don't give away too much of the special sauce

This is something some hosts will need to address, myself included.  Giving away even a few key details in a prize description makes Googling the price of a given item super simple.  I would hope most of us wouldn’t stoop to the level of cheating in a free-to-play community forum game with no physical prize offered, but unfortunately, there are some who will anyway (don’t be that person...).
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2019, 09:47:32 PM »
This is something some hosts will need to address, myself included.  Giving away even a few key details in a prize description makes Googling the price of a given item super simple.

I suppose so, but depending on which website I use, the price could vary by a few hundred dollars. (This, some might say, is the reason for Trivago, right?)  :P

Offline Marc

• Executive Producer
    • Golden Road
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2019, 11:34:08 PM »
even after nearly two decades of existence...

Wow

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2019, 02:00:06 AM »
Wow

Crazy, isn't it? Technically it is 20 this year going back to the Bravenet days, no? Then you have the brief era when you put up the photo guide pictures around 2002, and the message board came about in 2003. Amazing how much life has personally changed in the 14 years in since joining.

As for this, I've been messaged about it, but I'd honestly want to see some sample scripts from the future hosts before I'd approve this. They need to be quality, thought out, and ultimately a positive representation of the page. Creativity in games, hosting, and prizes, mixed with good hosting and graphics (least of my big five, but it's there) go a long way to impressing me with what you can do.

Scripts will absolutely stay, and one thing I'd like to propose to my fellow staffers is such that this go, the section would be an area where posts simply do not count towards the overall total. This gives an easy reflection to see where quality is trending. Furthermore, if there is a quantity backlog, the easy way to solve this is by letter the better quality shows go first in the queue. You want to host more? Great! Natural competition engenders better production values.

This is something some hosts will need to address, myself included.  Giving away even a few key details in a prize description makes Googling the price of a given item super simple.

It's why CU and I make/made mostly jokes about the products aside from the humor in the descriptions or think of subtle ways to throw you off. Only so much you can do with just the basics of the product. My personal favorite was using a Kia Soul! in Triple Play's second car many moons ago on an offsite page. The Kia Soul was like $15K, the Kia Soul! started at like $16,500. Little bit of an undercut, but it worked. Heck, even using PFP is pretty successful too, or just unusual trim of cars, odd products with various sourcing prices, and so on.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2019, 06:31:30 PM »
During one of my games, I had someone guess the exact price for season tickets to a minor league baseball team. I don’t know for sure, but my guess is they looked it up. Either that, or they happen to be a huge fan of the team and somehow knew that price.

I did have a hot dog cart as an IUFB (along with groans from the “audience”) just to make it feel like the real show.

I also played Professor Price- and one of the digits was not in the price of the car. I can’t remember how I handled that other than counting it as a wrong answer (I believe showed the number anyway).

One thing I did not do was play games that required a clock or physical skill. This means no Clock Game, Race Game, Hole in One, On the Nose, etc. I just couldn’t come up with a fair enough way to play it. The wheel was the random number job, and I wasn’t happy with it, but since it is a huge part of the game, I had to keep it in.

If this comes back, I hope the hosts use their personality and creativity to come up with some great shows.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2019, 01:26:39 PM »
...one thing I'd like to propose to my fellow staffers is such that this go, the section would be an area where posts simply do not count towards the overall total. This gives an easy reflection to see where quality is trending.

I tender that the same should apply to the CSS and FPG as well.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2019, 06:08:00 PM »

This is something some hosts will need to address, myself included.  Giving away even a few key details in a prize description makes Googling the price of a given item super simple.  I would hope most of us wouldn’t stoop to the level of cheating in a free-to-play community forum game with no physical prize offered, but unfortunately, there are some who will anyway (don’t be that person...).

When I hosted my shows, with the exception of one episode, I almost always used prizes taken directly from the show (and this was around 2005/2006, when the show's prices were more easily memorizable). It was understood that everybody was on the honor system. And in all of my episodes, there was only one time that I suspected a contestant was looking up the answers. In those rare instances, you keep the game moving, and life goes on.

It's a lighthearted internet game with no actual stakes. If somebody feels like they have to cheat at it, I'm going to feel pity, not anger.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2019, 06:35:05 PM »
When I hosted my shows, with the exception of one episode, I almost always used prizes taken directly from the show (and this was around 2005/2006, when the show's prices were more easily memorizable).

This brings up a very interesting point: can I use the TPIR recaps as my "source" when assembling scripts?