Author Topic: Cliff Hangers strategy/exploit  (Read 926 times)

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Booksie page
Cliff Hangers strategy/exploit
« on: June 06, 2019, 12:01:37 AM »
I'm not certain if this was ever discussed before, but I've noticed over the years that there's a clear strategy of winning at Cliff Hangers; $20-$30-$40. By bidding on the three items in that order, contestants can easily win the prize...however, like the infamous perfect showcase bid and other studies (as seen in Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much), is it possible that this strategy could be exploited to the extent that the show would have to alter the game's format?
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Cliff Hangers strategy/exploit
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 12:12:42 AM »
We're well aware.

In fact, even the folks at the show are well aware that we're well aware.

If they believed it was a game-breaking problem, they would have changed it by now. It's not like it would be hard to just use different prices.

Quote from: Mark Goodson
"It's the greatest challenge in the world to invent a new game. For every one you see, every concept that is ultimately refined and developed, a dozen are worked on and not worked on, or almost worked on, or dropped because they don't read any more. We test and hammer and test and hammer...

When you finally get it down so that it looks very very simple, that one has had the most complicated amount of work."

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pannoni1

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 08:15:49 AM »
In the early, pre-Roger years of the game, the prices would often not be in ascending order. By simply bringing this practice back, much like how Spelling Bee does with its prizes, would certainly add a little more to the challenge. It was already easier enough early on when they reduced the SPs from four to three.

It's basically the opposite of Stack the Deck and a cousin of Magic # in terms of easiness. I remember complaining about a decade ago when Pick-a-Pair's pairs were too far apart, leading to a disproportionate amount of wins (>90%). That's where CH stands now. If the win rate with Cliff goes to around the 60-70% range like Pick-a-Pair is now, I'd be much more willingly incline to watch, since while still fairly easy, its enough of a challenge to reward the truly smart shoppers while making those who trust the audience lose on occasion. I'd like to see more $15-$40-$60 setups or even $30-$20-$40 for that matter, especially if played for a car or other $10K+ prize
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 08:22:33 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 09:20:57 AM »
God I hope they consider changing the format in Season 48 on. The simplicity of what the gameplay has become has made my favorite game of all time since childhood almost unwatchable. You know when a pricing game gives away a $70k+ vehicle, or even the $210k win in Big Money Week a few years ago, and the general consensus is ĎMeh that was waaaay too easyí then thatís a problem. Even if the SPís donít exceed $50, just rearranging the order sometimes would increase the challenge and make the Cliff Hangers segments exponentially more interesting.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Remembering when the Zero Rule didn't exist
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 11:50:50 AM »
^The Dream Car was a joke, but I thought we established that 20-30-40 gave you something in the range of only $80,000 in that playing, which is still way too much for a freebie, but the $210k was deserved IMO. I think the bigger complaint was that they rushed the segment where she won $210,000.

Frankly, I'm fine with Cliff Hangers being so easy. I just don't want to be the person who plays the game once the hidden rules are broken.
Reminding you about 1932... when Richard Dawson was born. I will remember $19.32, even after he Checked-Out. Feud will never be the same without you.

HYO total winnings: $69,829

https://tinyurl.com/9821Legacy