Author Topic: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan - Season 4  (Read 60109 times)

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
Re: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan - Season 4
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2019, 10:14:36 PM »
From the Leslie Jones & Rosie O'Donnell games

Famous Men Named Jack: Jack Nicholson, Jack The Ripper, Jack Black
Things with a head: A cat, us, a dog

Things that are packed: a backpack, a gym bag, a trunk to a vehicle
What rain would say: I fall down from the sky, I hit windshield wipers, Prince had a hit song with my name on it.

From the Anna Camp & Chris Parnell games:

Bottled Water Brands: Niaqarq, Ozarka, Aquafina
Members of The Royal Family: Queen Elizabeth II, Meagan Markle, Prince George
Things you blow your nose with: tissue, toilet paper, handkerchief
Things That Are Rare: coins, old postage stamps, baseball cards

Nursery Rhythm Characters: Mother Goose, Jack & Jill, Old Mother Hubbard
“What Shampoo Might Say”: You put me all over your body, I can sting your eyes, I smell nice
Things Used To Cut: scissors, a knife, hedge trimmers

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2019, 10:19:46 PM »
Things that are packed: a backpack, a gym bag, a trunk to a vehicle
Unfortunately I think that last clue would be buzzed ("too descriptive"). How about "a vehicle's trunk"?

Personally, I'm surprised the judge let "The NFL" stand as a clue for "Names of Sports Leagues."  As I saw firsthand on a taping for Season 3 in 2018, when a contestant was disqualified for saying "LED" for "Types of Light Bulbs," I thought Brigette was going to be buzzed on the $1,000 subject. 
Good point there.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2019, 10:31:38 PM »
What's interesting is, on the original $100,000 Pyramid, there was a $10,000 Winner's Circle win with a similar issue with the first subject.  That Winner's Circle's $50 subject was "Names of Colleges (University)."  Terry Lester, the clue-giver, said "UCLA" and "USC," which led to the contestant correctly guessing that subject.  When the contestant cleared the sixth subject and as the bells and music were playing to indicate a win, Dick rushed out to explain there may be an issue with one of the subjects and that the judges and producers would discuss it during the break.

When the show returned from commercial, Dick explained while Terry's clues would have been illegal in the front game, they were acceptable in the Winner's Circle because the box specifically called for names of colleges and universities, and the contestant kept the $10,000.  Perhaps because "University" was in parentheses, it wasn't considered the essence of the category and was a close enough answer for the contestant to receive credit?

I think for tonight's subject, "Names of Sports Leagues," because there are only so many clues that don't have "league" in their full name (The NBA, PGA, PBA, and NASCAR are ones that come to my mind), the judge was more lenient on this one?  This is just pure conjecture on my part.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 07:08:16 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2019, 10:37:18 PM »
I think for tonight's subject, "Names of Sports Leagues," because there are only so many clues that don't have "league" in their full name (The NBA, PGA, PBA, and NASCAR are ones that come to my mind), the judge was more lenient on this one?  This is just pure conjecture on my part.
I think that is good reasoning Paul. And with you being a former contestant and winner and your knowledge of Pyramid history, I also think you would make a great judge on the show.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 10:48:03 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2019, 10:51:06 PM »
Also, reading a recap of the show, the subject was "Names of Professional Sports Leagues."  As a result, PGA and PBA would contain "Professional" in them, and would be illegal.  Wow, this one's a toughie.

I think that is good reasoning Paul. And with you being a former contestant and winner and your knowledge of Pyramid history, I also think you would make a great judge on the show.

Thanks  :-).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 10:53:18 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline PyramidFan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2019, 03:36:15 PM »
It was not Dick Cavett, it was Barry Jenner.
Actually, it was also Dick Cavett -- on the Clark $100K in early 1986, against Vicki Lawrence.

Offline PyramidFan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2019, 03:42:15 PM »
What's interesting is, on the original $100,000 Pyramid, there was a $10,000 Winner's Circle win with a similar issue with the first subject.  That Winner's Circle's $50 subject was "Names of Colleges (University)."  Terry Lester, the clue-giver, said "UCLA" and "USC," which led to the contestant correctly guessing that subject.  When the contestant cleared the sixth subject and as the bells and music were playing to indicate a win, Dick rushed out to explain there may be an issue with one of the subjects and that the judges and producers would discuss it during the break.

When the show returned from commercial, Dick explained while Terry's clues would have been illegal in the front game, they were acceptable in the Winner's Circle because the box specifically called for names of colleges and universities, and the contestant kept the $10,000.  Perhaps because was in parentheses, it wasn't considered the essence of the category and was a close enough answer for the contestant to receive credit?
Interestingly, though, when the same category appeared a few months later on the daytime version, "University" was no longer in parentheses. It just read "NAMES OF COLLEGES."

Also possibly of interest: There was another reason that they could have ruled that $10K win invalid. Terry gave a clue of "A dais" for the top category, THINGS WITH A PLATFORM. That's a direct synonym, and they didn't catch it. In fact, the opponent that night, who scored $750 in the next round, returned to the show a few months later, and I think that may be the reason why.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »
On the September 22nd episode: I've said this before, but the game could be quite a bit easier if players would remember the subject, especially when it's just been stated. Case in point: Words that contain a double "T". Small? Younger? And it's too bad Jonathan, a very good player, fell into the trap that was set with "A Crossing Guard" by using the word "cross" in his description.

There's something about getting a Winner's Circle subject at the last second. Unfortunately, it wasn't for the $50K, but I liked seeing the trilon turn to reveal "$3000" for "Things You Sit On". Great clues were given, but it didn't click for Bobby Moynihan until the final moment of the round. Strahan's use of the word "lapsed" in his clue for "Things You Renew" was a good idea, but it didn't help Bobby after the fact.

In a way, it was fortunate that Jonathan's slip of the tongue ("Vodka") didn't end up costing him $100,000. I personally froze on "Things You Freeze"; my sister came up with "a skater's pond water". I did better with "Things You Blow": "a trumpet", "birthday candles", "your congested nose".

For "Types of Singers" how about "a soprano", "an alto", and "a baritone"? And for "Things That Rise" I came up with "yeasty dough" and "the morning sun".
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 10:17:11 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2019, 10:06:13 PM »
For anyone interested, they advertised that they're casting for the next season. Here's the website:

https://www.castingpyramid.com/

That website hasn't been updated yet to say they're casting for season 5, and all the tape dates are still listed as being in April 2019, but I presume it will be updated soon.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2019, 10:11:25 PM »
For "Types of Singers" how about "a soprano", "an alto", and "a baritone"? And for "Things That Rise" I came up with "yeasty dough" and "the morning sun".

For "Things that Rise," I had "The Eastern sun," "A courtroom's audience," "the phoenix."

It's a shame that tonight ended with no Winner's Circle wins.  However, there were some nail-biting moments in the Winner's Circle, especially with Mario Cantone.  If the show comes back another season and he's on, I hope he goes in and wins.  He has yet to do so on any of his appearances in this era of Pyramid.

Jonathan had some really bad luck-he missed out on the Mystery 7 on a trap word (you have to tiptoe around the description of "A crossing guard" by saying something like 'This person helps children walk the street to school.').  Also, his slip of the tongue with "vodka" was painful to watch.

It was great to see a buzzer-beating 7/7 with Tauri and a last-second win with David in the second half.  Also, the last Mystery 7 of the season was won, too.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this season of Pyramid (and getting the chance to play the game for real).  Here's hoping it's renewed for a fifth season.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2019, 10:19:05 PM »
For "Things that Rise," I had "The Eastern sun," "A courtroom's audience," "the phoenix."

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this season of Pyramid (and getting the chance to play the game for real).
Excellent clues there, and I've also enjoyed this season.

Offline PGS25

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2019, 08:34:34 AM »
Golf: Hole in One, Fore, Birdie, Par
Renew: Magazine subscription, Rent lease, Any license, Memberships
Cemetery: Graves, headstones, flags, flowers.
Freeze: Your credit, bank account, homemade ice cream, Flavor Ice Pops
Potato Chip: Barbecue, Sour Cream and Onion, Salt and Vinegar
Swim: Fish, Birds, Frogs, Olympic athletes
Classroom: Teacher, students, blackboard, desks
Rise: Morning sun, Yeasted dough, temperature

Total cash won tonight: $36,500
1 "Mystery 7" won.
Bobby will never forget "renew" when he renews his license.
Chewbacca will come back to bite Katie when she sees "Star Wars".
Is a "Bull Market" a synonym of "Rise".