Author Topic: PYL 2019 Discussion [Spoilers]  (Read 51026 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: PYL 2019 Discussion [Spoilers]
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 08:28:41 AM »
There’s no crying in baseball and there definitely shouldn’t be any crying on Press Your Luck. Just play the game.
And there wouldn't be if they didn't resort to seemingly plucking contestants out of central casting, a la Deal or No Deal. And it wouldn't be a 2019 show if it didn't move at a glacial pace, either.

I'm not terribly impressed, but I'm not surprised, either.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 08:43:07 AM »
Not all game shows are supposed to be fast paced. Concentration for example is slower paced, yet it works well because of the play along factor in making matches and trying to figure out the puzzle.

Press Your Luck is a fast paced game, and slowing it down makes it feel dull. That’s the biggest flaw.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 08:44:03 AM »
And it wouldn't be a 2019 show if it didn't move at a glacial pace, either.

The biggest issue here, in the main game anyway, is that when someone stops on a prize, the game comes to a complete halt until Elizabeth asks them to display the value. On the original, Peter had it immediately, so it helped keep things moving.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 09:10:44 AM »
I have this sinking feeling that ABC wanted the bonus round to BE the main game. One contestant playing the board for a million dollars. Similar to Deal or No Deal’s one contestant playing the game for the majority of the show. Someone begged them to throw in the original game as the vehicle to play for a million. I was enjoying the show up until this half hour bonus round.

I also had a little Twitter argument with someone about the timing of the bonus round. What happens if someone whammies out during their first six spins of the bonus round? The show still had 20 minutes at that point. Someone argued with me that the chances of that are microscopic. Well it is well known that people have whammies out in the course of 4-6 straight spins in the original. It could certainly happen here.

There’s no crying in baseball and there definitely shouldn’t be any crying on Press Your Luck. Just play the game.

Is there any reason to “have a sinking feeling” on which there really is no basis? The reboots thus far have all been strongly linked to the originals. I don’t think anyone had to beg ABC to do anything. If this is what was collaboratively arrived at among all parties, so be it.

And I’d feel sure they have some plan in mind for the minimal chance of an early wipeout. Or that the professionals involved will adapt if that eventuality arrives in the limited number of games the summer season involves.

Offline ntpir

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 09:12:56 AM »
The displaying of the prize values wasn’t terrible when it was done quickly. There were a few times when she made it seamless. But if we can display a value, we should be able to display answer choices.
Overall, Elizabeth wasn’t terrible by any means. I’ve seen worse and I think she will grow into it. She moved the game to the best of her ability.

Offline ntpir

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 09:22:37 AM »
Is there any reason to “have a sinking feeling” on which there really is no basis? The reboots thus far have all been strongly linked...
The reason is we are here to discuss and share our opinions. This is my opinion and I would appreciate it if it was respected like everyone’s opinions and thoughts about the show have been. A fair number of game shows with million dollar prizes have been one contestant/couple playing the majority of the hour by themselves. This *could* have been the starting point and then tweaked it to include the main game. Maybe my choice of begging was not correct, but my opinion is not baseless.

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 10:37:29 AM »
And there wouldn't be if they didn't resort to seemingly plucking contestants out of central casting, a la Deal or No Deal. And it wouldn't be a 2019 show if it didn't move at a glacial pace, either.

I'm not terribly impressed, but I'm not surprised, either.

I've seen the term before, but always wondered what "central casting" meant.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does it mean they look for the most emotionally expressive people they can find?

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 10:41:57 AM »
The reason is we are here to discuss and share our opinions. This is my opinion and I would appreciate it if it was respected like everyone’s opinions and thoughts about the show have been. A fair number of game shows with million dollar prizes have been one contestant/couple playing the majority of the hour by themselves. This *could* have been the starting point and then tweaked it to include the main game. Maybe my choice of begging was not correct, but my opinion is not baseless.

Imhomerjay's point is valid. A common problem I've observed here is that people tend to jump to unsupportable conclusions based on little to no evidence, or build convoluted "what if" scenarios that have little basis in reality (and which often presuppose situations that are themselves statistically impossible). It gets old. I can't be the only one who comes here to take part in discussions based in reality, and gets tired of everyone screaming "respect my opinion!" the second someone disagrees with them.

Your opinion appeared to be highly speculative and was called out as such...there's nothing inherently disrespectful about that.

Online b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 11:03:41 AM »
One thing I noticed is that the announcer said, "From Television City in Hollywood," just like Rod (and John and Charlie) said on CBS back in the day. Is this because this new PYL is being done at CBS, for broadcast on ABC?

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2019, 11:08:02 AM »
I really enjoyed watching the main game. It's very much like the original and has a lot of excitement and fingernail biting moments. Elizabeth Banks is a pretty good host and seems to be enjoying herself.

However, the bonus round is completely unnecessary and slows the game down a lot. It feels like a million dollar gimmick you'd see on game shows in the late 90s/mid 2000s when everybody wanted to be like "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?". If the show is going to be in an hour time slot, they should've treated it like the current incarnations of Pyramid and Celebrity Family Feud and put two games in the hour, back to back.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 11:11:12 AM »
One thing I noticed is that the announcer said, "From Television City in Hollywood," just like Rod (and John and Charlie) said on CBS back in the day. Is this because this new PYL is being done at CBS, for broadcast on ABC?

The current iteration of PYL was taped at Television City. Note Television City is no longer owned by CBS.

Online b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 11:27:34 AM »
The current iteration of PYL was taped at Television City. Note Television City is no longer owned by CBS.

That's what I thought!

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 12:29:45 PM »
Anyone having any luck with Twitter? I posted a comment on the YouTube video to see if they could provide an original link but no response yet. (For the record, I tried using JDownloader to pull any and all media from the Twitter feed, but while I did get a slew of MP4s none of them was the theme music. Not sure if that means anything though since I don't quite know how JDownloader interacts with Twitter.)

That would be my YouTube vid you stumbled upon.  :P

I replied late last night with the Twitter link, but for the rest of you, 1137766306768478208[/tweet]?s=21]here it is.  The theme was paired with a “Meet the Whammies” video.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline MCJ04

• In the Audience
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 12:52:34 PM »
It was a fun way to spend an hour, which is what a game show should be. It’s a great escape. Even my partner enjoyed it, who isn’t the biggest game show fan.
It had an amazingly well updated look, payed homage to their original, and captivated the audience. Don’t like the bonus game? Turn it off after the main game and there’s your original PYL.
Repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax”... enjoy that it’s back on TV, and have some fun.

Offline CaseyBuck

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2019, 01:09:16 PM »
I've made a quick and dirty Google Sheets page that has the board configurations for the main game:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSF3UouSP27Fngg3yG3f5B1xF6XUl551ZNtHYl1Bor67z8dEfLnuAqSiHzz-P2uFcfPYkS4SC7vkjkn/pubhtml

Interestingly, Square #14 in Round 1 and Square #16 in Round 2 both have two Whammies in them (with separate poses). Some more "odd" values in Round 1, like $1505, $2150, and $2675, and $4600 in Round 2.