Author Topic: PYL 2019 Discussion [Spoilers]  (Read 51027 times)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: PYL 2019 Discussion [Spoilers]
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2019, 09:06:13 PM »

So, if the front game is over at 7:30, the more bonus round we'll see, and the farther the player will get. If we have a short bonus round like we did tonight, the main game will go on for longer. There's no consistency in when the front game ends. The bonus round, on the other hand, can be counted on to end by 7:59, which means if they go into round 3 at 7:55, there's no guesswork about when they'll stop playing--the only question is whether they'll Whammy out or walk away. The number of spins in the bonus round isn't constant, only the defined time by which it has to end--which, exactly as I explained, robs the bonus round of any suspense whatsoever.

Certainly true, but I'd like to pose a question: are "typical" viewers paying that close attention and analyzing in the way those with a particular affinity for dissecting all the minutiae of game shows are? I'd suggest people looking for some fun, escapist type entertainment are not watching the clock and spending time thinking about what's going to happen. That's by no means an insult, it's simply saying it's not likely going to be front of mind for a great many people.

With that context, I'm not sure it robs suspense from most viewers. Even as a "game show nerd," we may deduce the player won't be heading into a sixth round, but suspense still remains as to how the game will end, and what the player will walk away with.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2019, 10:59:02 PM »
I like the show. It's 100% PYL, with the main game. The bonus round is ok, it would better if it was a bit more fast pace. I can't help but wonder if Double Your Bucks + and a Spin will show up here, as it was great to see the Lose a Whammy space appear. Loved seeing the oddball dollar values, but will the flokati rug show, even if as a gag?

I've been humming the theme music all week... 😂
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2019, 04:02:59 AM »
A few extra notes:
  • During the question round, the shot is perfectly set up to show the answers on the big center screen, which in my opinion would make the shot composition better.
  • The composers of the new theme actually recorded a full suite for the theme, with the key change and bridge, plus the different vamps! Apparently it was the producer/Fremantle/ABC's decision to go with the "14 seconds of loop" version -- I would love to hear why they made that decision...
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2019, 08:58:32 AM »
During the question round, the shot is perfectly set up to show the answers on the big center screen, which in my opinion would make the shot composition better.

I still don't understand why they don't show the answers to begin with--obviously it was done in the old days, but for all the mistakes they made, even Whammy brought it back.

The composers of the new theme actually recorded a full suite for the theme, with the key change and bridge, plus the different vamps! Apparently it was the producer/Fremantle/ABC's decision to go with the "14 seconds of loop" version -- I would love to hear why they made that decision...

I'd love to know why too...but more importantly...how do you know? (Please tell me the full version got posted somewhere for us to hear!)

Offline AussieEvil

• Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2019, 07:29:09 PM »
I'd love to know why too...but more importantly...how do you know? (Please tell me the full version got posted somewhere for us to hear!)

Tim Mosher told someone who reposted that information in a youtube comment on the theme. Apparently it can't be released without Fremantle's permission.
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2019, 08:28:39 PM »
Tim Mosher told someone who reposted that information in a youtube comment on the theme.

I'd take a YouTube comment with a grain of salt. That said, if it's true...

Apparently it can't be released without Fremantle's permission.

This doesn't surprise me at all, knowing Fremantle.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2019, 08:55:50 PM »
I kept feeling that something is missing, something is missing.     Then if finally dawned on me.

No one could belt "but you'll have to avoid the Whammy" like Rod Roddy did.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2019, 07:28:34 PM »
I have started to watch this version of PYL and I have some questions:

1.  How the player gets to the bonus round if 2 or 3 players have the same score?
2.  What happens if all 3 players end with $0?
3.  In previous versions, the questions and multiple choice answers were always shown to the TV viewer.  Why not in this version?

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2019, 08:00:01 PM »
1.  How the player gets to the bonus round if 2 or 3 players have the same score?
2.  What happens if all 3 players end with $0?

I assume the solution would be the same in either case--they'd have a tiebreaker. Not sure if that would consist of a single question a la Family Feud's sudden death question, or if it would be one spin each a la TPiR's SCSDN spinforr.

3.  In previous versions, the questions and multiple choice answers were always shown to the TV viewer.  Why not in this version?

Because Rich DiPirrio apparently doesn't think it's necessary.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2019, 12:21:26 PM »
...a la TPiR's SCSDN spinforr.

Just realized this was misspelled--that was supposed to say "spinoff."

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2019, 01:07:55 PM »
Don't know if anyone else spotted it, but the first three episodes (not counting the preview episode) are up on YouTube now. Re-watching this week's episode, I heard the opening vamp (the thing that played in the old days during the montage before they introduced Peter). I'm not sure if it was new or if it was just louder, but it was good to hear, even if it was recycled from Gameshow Marathon and not the classic one.

The more I watch this version the more I like it (the first half of the game at least, still not a fan of the bonus game). The contestants seem to be a better fit for the game (or maybe they're just acting more like genuine PYL fans instead of generic people who got plucked out of nowhere), and it's getting easier to accept this as genuine PYL, instead of a publicity stunt like Gameshow Marathon was. For me what makes it is when they go "aaaaand STOP!" just like the old days. I don't know if they actually are fans of the classic or if the producers are just coaching them better, but whichever, I like it.

Offline brettreilly

• In the Audience
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2019, 09:32:14 PM »
Things I hate: I hate the bonus round for so many reasons. I hate one contestant playing against the house. I hate the required spins and the fact that if you hit a space that’s “+ a spin” you must take that one. At least that one should be optional. Would rather do another game with three more contestants if they must stretch to an hour. Or two new contestants and the previous person as returning champion.

Things I like: I do like that they put prizes that the contestant really wants. I like the lose a whammy concept. Elizabeth Banks is a fine host and is pretty funny. Better than Todd and not as good as Peter.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2019, 10:07:31 PM »
tonight's show had a "Damon" moment (named after a Tomarken era player) with a zero-spin score after the Questions

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2019, 11:01:48 PM »
Things I hate: I hate the bonus round for so many reasons. I hate one contestant playing against the house. I hate the required spins and the fact that if you hit a space that’s “+ a spin” you must take that one. At least that one should be optional. Would rather do another game with three more contestants if they must stretch to an hour. Or two new contestants and the previous person as returning champion.
I agree, I just don't think the bonus round is overly exciting in general. I can't imagine how anyone would ever get anywhere near $500,000. I hope next season they redo the bonus round so its higher stakes and without the + spin spaces or scrap it altogether.

Tough break in the first round with a player earning 0 spins and one earning just one. Is 6 spins the lowest combined total between the three contestants for a round ever?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2019, 11:09:08 PM »
Is 6 spins the lowest combined total between the three contestants for a round ever?
Surprisingly, no. There was at least one 1984 episode (I want to say January or February 1984) where, if memory serves, the three players managed only one spin each after the question round. Cue an ungodly amount of stretching from Peter before even one spin is taken in Round 2.